Notices

Hello, I'm new to Sober Recovery!

Old 03-30-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new to Sober Recovery!

Hi everyone!
My name is Jacqueline and this is my first time to post here. I need help with my drinking. I'v been drinking off and on since I was about 17, which has been almost 10 years. At first it was an occasional thing, when I was hanging out with some of my friends. But for the past 2 or 3 years its been an every weekend thing to do, and sometimes I dont feel like getting up and going to classes or going to work on monday mornings, I'm so hung over. I think I'm becoming an alcoholic and it scares me.
I'v been coming in here to sober recovery for about a week reading everyones posts and it seems like everyone is very friendly and helpful. I dont have anyone that I want to talk to about this because I'm afraid of what they will think of me. I come from a very traditional Italian/French family, who owns a business in Napa Valley Calif. wine country; where everyone drinks wine regularly without being alcoholic, but with me its beginning to be a problem.
Thanks for letting me talk about this, and I would welcome any advice. Love, Jacqui
Old 03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR Jacqui

As you may have read here already... this place is filled with people who understand and are accepting. You can find the same at AA meetings in your area as well. The face to face meetings add a bit more then you may gather and gain on line. something to think on

Again Welcome
Old 03-30-2005, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Jacqui we're glad your here. I know you have a ton of questions so just ask away! Also visit our Alcoholism and AA forums for some great info. *hugs*
Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome Jaqui!
Glad you came in.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Jacqui

welcome to S/R

The consequences of my drinking made me quit drinking. It's nice to wake up and not come to. You make it sound like the drinking is only on the weekends. Do you ever drink trhu the week? This gets progressive. A lot of us only drank on weekends. My weekends started on Thursday and went to Tuesday at the end of my drinking

Go a few weekends w/o drinking let us know how you do.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!!

Jacqui...

How wise of you to seek help! AA was the answer for me when I wanted to quit...and stay stopped.

Do let us know how we can be of service to you.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks everyone, for your input and advice, I really appreciate it.
Captain; you ask if I drink during the week. Not really, only on occasion, if something special is going on. Usually I get together with friends on weekends, sometimes from friday nights and it always seems to involve drinking, and I'm afraid I'm turning into an alcoholic, because it seems to be something I'v begin to rely on to get in to the party mood. And I'm afraid like you say it may turn into drinking thur the week.
Best and Carol; I'm going to take your advice and look up AA, I dont know where they are located, or how many there are here, because Mendocino, where I live, is a small coastal town in Northern Calif.
Thanks again everyone! Love, Jacqui
Old 03-30-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hey there! I wanted to welcome you as well. It's always really nice whenever I see younger people joining this site. I'm 27, and just like you...everything my friends and I did revolved around drinking. Trust me, I understand completely where you're comming from. But, I'm actually having a lot more REAL fun now that I don't feel the need to get plastered, or even a little buzzed to "get in the party mood",as you say. When I laugh, I laugh because something's funny and not because I'm drunk. I like being able to remember where I am, who said what, and the great feeling of not being hung-over.
To answer your question about AA, there are a TON of meetings...if not in your immediate area, certainly surrounding it. I couldn't believe how many there were until I started researching it. I like AA, because it's nice to know that you're not alone in this and the people are generally very nice and helpful. I also like this site, because it allows you to say things that maybe you aren't entirely down with saying in person.
But, I'm glad you're here and I hope to get to know you better!

Danielle
Old 03-30-2005, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi again Jacqui!
Here's a phone number...
HOTLINE: 707-462-7123
And a couple links to AA in your area...

http://www.mendocinocoastaa.com/

http://www.aaukiah.org/

Old 03-30-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I cannot tell you if you are an alcoholic but it's great you are looking into it sooner rather than later.

CAPTAIN said something interesting about alcoholism being progressive. I'm only 29 and that concept didn't make any sense to me in the beginning. I would drink to open up socially at first on Friday and Saturday, then as a regular part of anything my friends and I were doing to have fun (parties, sporting events, cards, birthdays etc.). Next I was drinking b/c I was bored. Finally I didn't really care if it was the weekend or Wednesday. For me, it crept up in the beginning and snowballed in the end.

Anyway, glad you're here.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

((DangerousDan))
Thank you for the information on the AA websites. The one in Ukiah sounds like it would be good for me, its not to far from here. And I'm taking some classes at the College in Ukiah.
Also thank you Danielle and llenroc for your advice, its good to be able to relate to someone who has been there. Have a great day everyone! Love, Jacqui
Old 03-30-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

You're welcome!
Old 03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jacqui,

Welcome to SR. It sounds like you think your drinking may be a problem. I knew my drinking was way out of hand, but by that time I couldn't stop. It took quite a few years for me to hit bottom and finally surface here on SR. Hopefully you won't have to go through that. I have found AA really helpful, but there are other recovery programs as well.

You will find many great people here.

Jup.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jacqui !
I'm a newbie too....came on tonite because it's been 2 months and I'm having a hard time tonight, so just surfing around. Last year I finally realized that I'm a "binge drinker" ....I can not drink for weeks even months if need be..but when I do I never know if I will go over the edge ! Sometimes it has been so hard to realize that i have a problem big time, and after years of denial, the drinking went way out of control. You're on the right track...look hard now !!! It's a very sneaky disease !

If I go to bed....I won't need to drink so ..good luck, good night
Deb
Old 03-31-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Thank you all again for your advice. I went in today for my thursday morning classes at the college I attend in Ukiah; and after my classes were finished I looked up the AA meeting place, which is not to far from my college. I am going to my first meeting there tonite. I'm looking forward to it in a way, and a little apprehensive about it in another way. Today makes 5 days since I have drink anything, and I hope last weekend was my last weekend to drink. Weekends have always been a problem for me. So say some prayers for me that my first meeting goes well and that this is a new beginning for me. Love, Jacqui
Old 03-31-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Jacqui
That's great news that you are being so proactive! WELL DONE!!! Hope you got there - it's very apprehensive making in the beginning! Hope you found it as an amazing experience as it really can be. I was at a GREAT meeting myself tonight, in AA about 4 months I think. It's such a gift, just like this website.
Do tell all!
Love
cathy31
x
Old 03-31-2005, 02:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Jaqui!

Welcome to SR... am sending you prayers and strength on your decision to start fresh. Have a wonderful and sober weekend...what the heck, its worth a try, huh?

It is DEFINITELY worth it! Keep us all informed.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi everyone!
Well I went to my first AA meeting last night. I'm glad I went! I met some wonderful people, and I felt so much better about myself afterwards. I just introduced myself; I didnt talk. But I listened to so many talk about how alcohol has been a problem for them, and I could relate to so many. I got some phone numders from some ladies there, and they said I could call on them anytime. They are all very nice people.
I'm going to try and go back this weekend to another meeting. But with my job as a hostess in a restaurant, I work weekend afternoons and evenings, but there are some morning meetings I can go to.
Well have a great weekend everyone, and thanks again for all your advice and support. Love, Jacqui
Old 04-01-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dan

Top shelf stuff Jacqui!
Good for you.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

(What Dan said!!!)

So very happy for you!

Danielle