Notices

Caffeine

Old 03-19-2005, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Caffeine

What do you guys think about drinking caffeine during alcohol withdrawl? I feel like I am suffering from both caffeine & alcohol withdrawl, and I'd like to drink some soda. In moderation of course, b/c I know that is causes dehyrdation. I've been drinking several gallons of water a day for the past 2 days and I'm just tired of it!!

Any advice?
Old 03-19-2005, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The water is a good thing.The caffeine? Im not really sure.I have read some negative things about Caffeine early in recovery.But,I am not really sure.I have also read bad things about sweets being served at meetings.But personaly in my humble opinon,I think caffeine and sweets are way better than alcohol.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Caffeine

Thanks for your quick reply. I think the caffeine will help get me off my arse and moving around!

I have a medical condition where I must avoid sugar when at all possible.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doug

I've heard alot of folks around here say they found fruit juices to be helpful.

I would imagine that an occasional pop or two might help keep your withdrawls a little more tolerable. That way you would'nt be withdrawing from alcohol AND caffeine altogether. I don't know for sure though.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was just looking on the Web,and couldnt really find much.I wish I could remember where I read that about cafeine and also sweets in recovery.I did find this about alcohol withdraw.Kinda strange is was at a Kroger Site though.http://www.kroger.com/hn/Concern/Alcohol.htm
Old 03-19-2005, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to cut out caffeine for the first weeks simply because I was already too jumpy and anxiety ridden. After three weeks, I can now enjoy my morning cup of coffee again.

The gallons of water are for sure a necessity...combined with Milk Thistle and vitamin B complex (as in the kroger article!) They really help speed up the detox process.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hadn't drank coffee for over ten years, but recently started again. I abstain from sugar also in it's various forms and then I'll just relapse. My sugar levels go up and down and I can get withdrawels from caffiene, but I no longer get confused that it is a desire to drink.

In my early days I did myself no favours by confusing my sugar moods and withdrawels with a desire to drink. Sometimes when I was thirsty my mind would automatically jump to the conclusion that I wanted alcohol, when I was in fact, thirsty for water.

Of course, if I was getting sober again now I have a perfectionist streak in me and would demand myself not to take caffeine and sugar. And I think this would help. But one thing I do believe is nothing replaces the desire to stay sober under all conditions.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andy F
But one thing I do believe is nothing replaces the desire to stay sober under all conditions.
Very well spoken Andy!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Thank you for the great link, I have been looking for one like this.

Seems like the best bet would be to get rid of the caffeine & alcohol addicition all at once. Gosh, that's a hard pill to swallow!! LOL

Next thing you know they'll be saying I need to give up smoking <g>