Notices

Day 2

Old 03-18-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Day 2

And it's been torture. I pray to God that I will never have to go thru this misery again. What a cunning, baffling, powerful disease.

I will be going to a meeting as soon as I feel it is safe to drive. Currently, I am shaking pretty bad and in a fog. Hopefully by tomorrow morning I will be well enough to go.

I am giving up control, I can't manage this on my own and want to start a rigerous program.

Today, I have to just concentrate on not picking up a drink, and I know that things will work out.

Thank God for this site, it is giving me support when I can't get to a meeting.

Congrats to all of you for having the courage to not take that first drink.

Grateful
Old 03-18-2005, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Way to go Greatful. I'm getting back in from a relapse but I do know it does get better. Maybe someone can drive you to a meeting. Hang in there. And keep posting.

na4today
Old 03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay strong Greatful

You have stated your committment, you have reached out, you are doing the right things. The physical torment will subside day to day.

Best Wishes on a better tomorrow and the next, and the next.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

hir grateful, hugs coming your way!!! Surrendering is all it takes. \\//Peace
Old 03-18-2005, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back. ((((((Grateful)))))) yep it hurts pretty bad doesn't it?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go.Its not easy at times but if you go to a meeting and find a sponsor hopefully it well help.So good luck and keep posting...
Old 03-19-2005, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Thanks for all of your replies!

I am proud to say that I am waking up on Day 3! I think the worst of it is over, but I still have a few symptoms of withdrawl.

I woke up starving today after days & days of not eating. I just finished a bagel, I hope that it doesn't end up giving me more problems.

I've spent the past 2 days in bed, I was thinking that I might be better off trying to move around today to get some of the toxins out. What do you guys think?
Old 03-19-2005, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

Day 3 was always a turning point for me...(note the implication of being there many times...and the past tense!)

I assume you've been sweating quite a bit in the process. Sweating is good...

In my opinion, moving around will help move more toxins out. I just had to keep it slow...very meditative activity around the house, I would break out in sweats from time to time, I would rest, drink more water, do a little more activity, etc...And keep tabs on your heart rate. If you feel your heart start to race, grab a book and lie down again.

You are doing great...those first days are the worst. I will just add to the chorus: each day gets better and it is worth it.

Tons of strength moving your way,
Lance
Old 03-19-2005, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Thanks Lance, boy does it give me hope to know that today is the turning point. At times, it feels like it will NEVER end.

The sweating is so weird, but the racing heart, shakes & dizziness are worse!

I will be going to AA as soon as I feel able.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am only speaking from my withdrawl experiences, but the major symptoms generally subsided for me after 3 days. Keep drinking LOTS of water...I put large glasses of water all over the house so I could keep intaking as I moved around. Keep eating, all the literature speaks about how depleted our system has become after long bouts....I used lots of Milk Thistle (for liver function), vitamin B complex, basic Tylenol (Advil not good for liver) and some chinese herbs for liver.

I agree, the heart racing and shaking are the worst...Of course, if you would feel serious disruptions in your heart pattern, it is necessary to get to a ER. I combatted them with meditation, slow breathing and some slow movement.

A silly thing to do and reminder... I was so aghast at not being able to even write my own name intelligbly, I could barely recognize my normally fluid handwriting! I journaled the progression of losing the shakes and regaining my penmenship over the week....weird, Huh?

Hope you are feeling better this morning.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Thanks Time4me, it was so neat to log in this morning and already see a response!! This site is helping me keep my sanity, the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning is how proud I am to go back on and say:

I've got one more day sober!!!

You were all right, 3 days was the turning point. I am still in a huge fog brain wise, but everything else seems to be working itself out!!

Today is dedicated to getting ready to get back to work tomorrow.

I've been doing all the things you mentioned, the vitamin B, milk thistle, multis, etc.

Thanks for your support!!
Old 03-20-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck and in time i prey it gets easier for you.Its kind of funny i have even had a few slips too and we keep coming back to this site,so it goes to say its very helpful to us so good luck....
Old 03-20-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have a good day at work Greatful!

I just finished 3 weeks and the brain fog is still lingering...but, have kind of been overcompensating with the cigs since I haven't been drinking. They have to be next to go...I am more and more curious and eager to feel and experience true cleanliness in my body, mind and spirit. What a concept after being such a mess!

Best to you....feel free to PM if you need.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congradulations on 4 days Greatful! Thats how we do this one day at a time.I hope your feeling better today.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ama

(((Grateful)))

You are doing great - I have reposted two threads relating to my own withdrawals (horrendous) and next Tuesday I will be 3 calender months. This is a feather in my cap yes - but we help each other by showing it can be done and HOW TO STAY SOBER and LIVE and THRIVE like never before.....

Get a head full of sobriety and recovery will be there for you - a precious beautiful gift, a satin lined purse filled to its brim.......
Old 03-20-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

You are doing great. I found during my first week that sleeping as much as possible helped. You are in my prayers.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Thanks Ama & Roxanne,

I am really starting to turn the corner on the withdrawl! *****. I just want to keep it firmly in my mind, so that I am never tempted to pick up that first drink again!

Now it is time to focus on the emotional aspects of recovery. I haven't had any cravings so far, but I'm smart enough to realize that I need to develop a support net for when I do.

Thank you all for your support!!