Notices

Almost throught the first weekend.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost throught the first weekend.

I have done more around my house in the last 2 days than I have in the last 4 months. I swear.
I am currently in the process of painting the spare bedroom finally, I hate walpaper border it is murder to get off.

I'm pretty thankful for this place to pop into when I get the craving or just need to sit and read others stories.

I have read 2 magazines, painted some furniture and started crocheting a new blanket too.

I feel so different. More like me, only better, with more motivation to get stuff done.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Smudge,

Great to hear you're doing so well and I know just how you feel!

Love, Anna
Old 03-14-2005, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great for you!

That wonderful creeping feeling of returning to yourself...hold on to it!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Smudge,

I know what you are saying about getting more done in a short time sober than in a really long time drinking. It is truly a great experience to feel like I am accomplishing something. Sounds like you are having some of the same feelings.

Keep it up.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
All is not as it appears.

Hay Ya Smudge

If I can answer any painting questions you might have give me a yell. I’ve been painting since 1979. I love it and I’m very knowledgeable in the trade.

One thing… Tell me you didn’t paint it pink. Keep up the great work.

Mark
Old 03-14-2005, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HA! No, it's light yellow... however I have a lot of Dark Red in the house too, and your "pink" comment made me laugh... that primer just kills me! talk about Pepto Bismal!

Thanks for the offer though, it is much appreciated I'm sure I'll come up with something to ask!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mmm dark red. I’ll bet it looks fabulous. I love color.

You must have chosen your tools wisely. Good application tools can make or break a pleasant painting experience. I don’t mind pink in the right atmosphere but it is hard to coordinate an attractive setting into it.

Deep red. Hmm I’ll bet you have a splash of green and gold to coordinate it. Go for accent walls too. And…and…and don’t wipe paint on your paaants.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WOW you are good! My entire upstairs: livingroom- darker gold, dinning room and kitchen, dark sage, accent wall between the two Brick red...

I was inspired my my Van Gogh Print in there- Sunflowers.

My bathroom is handpainted cow print - yes youread that right- with black and white tile foor, and the room I am starting it on now will be a tribute to Mary Engelbreit- I think....

I love color!

Last edited by Smudge; 03-14-2005 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Beacause I can't type somedays :)
Old 03-14-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’ve worked along side some very good decorators over the years. It sounds like you have the eye for it too. I consult and coordinate but there have been jobs I needed expert help with.

I do antique and modern glazes. Wood graining, authentic patinas, custom textures, and a little free hand faux. Some of the products on the market today are amazing. Expensive but amazing. Ask Sherwin Williams LOL

edit:Oh, oh, oh. The cow print bathroom. I can picture skylight blue, grass green and a buttercup flower vase. A tiny splash of natural wood and maybe a small milk can. Got milk?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is a loverly idea!

I have always enjoyed decorating, my whole family is very good at it... I've often wondered what it takes to become one professionally. I've done my college time years ago, and I believe that there are schools you need to train at is that correct?

Perhaps I will look into doing it on the side. Lord knows I loath my current job.. lol

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

I'm glad to hear your doing well Smudge! It's amazing how living in the fog clouds everything around us. When it lifts, there's a big beautiful world.. waiting to be cleaned!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smudge
Perhaps I will look into doing it
Sounds to me like you could make it happen Smudge. I’d stay away from naming the company “Smudge Decorating” but yes it can be done. A lot of decorators in my area do it part time. I don’t want to sound harsh but most fail because they do it part time. They spend a lot of money setting up a business. A business that wants to make a profit takes a full time effort. I’d recommend looking into the schooling. You’ll need it before joining the ASID. Then comes licensing and insurance. After that and this is a must, get a damn good contract made up by a business lawyer. You’ll have to get with suppliers and spend a little creating a portfolio also.

Then comes something you must do because it will make or break your business. Advertising and I do mean advertise ( No yellow pages ) the return is maybe 6% at best. You have to target potential clients in upper class neighborhoods or you’ve wasted money. There are tricks to knowing when to advertise. Never price haggle. You instantly loose the clients trust. They wonder why you couldn’t give them the best price in the first place. Structure your bids to allow for price changes but never price haggle. Then you need to have sales skills. Learn how to prescreen calls. Weed out the thinkers from the doers. When you get the client you’ll need to take control and be up on the latest trends. Learn to read your clients body language. When you get that part down you’ll know within 5 minutes of meeting if they’re really interested, or called you for a bull crap session LOL.

All of these are extras but sooner or later you’ll find you have to do it if your business grows into full time. Get set up to accept credit card payments, automate as much of the paperwork as possible and have a follow up advertising plan in place. Your clients need to be reminded your there. A small SASE questionnaire, or something that keeps the customer relation active. Study your competitors. Think about incorporating. Structure your business and know your profit margins to keep your prices competitive.

There’s nothing like being in business for yourself. You get on the horse and ride. You’ll spend years working long hours and putting profit back into the business but when you get it set up right the business will make you money. Advertise, advertise, advertise and have a good contract to cover your butt. Write off everything you possibly can and keep it organized. You CAN do it.

With all that said I need to get back to work.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don’t know if my prior post raised an eyebrow with someone running their own business but let me touch on the advertising again because it’s the most important part of your business. Like I said don’t bother with the yellow pages. If you do? A simple name and number in the appropriate section is all you’ll need. The large advertisements have a low profit return. A company logo and phrase are a must. Be original and stand out among your competitors.

When coming up with a company logo choose it wisely. Consider the colors being used. Colors create moods. Pay the extra to have the logo put on your proposal or bid sheets. Changing the colors around a little to fit the season can create mood also. Big bit of advice now…Don’t advertise at Christmas. Your clients are being emendated with ads that are thrown in the trash. Send cards but keep them personal. Your client will relate to you as sort of family by receiving a simple card with your signature. Advertise in the spring and around tax return time. Advertise in winter with discounted prices. Advertise when the rest of the world isn’t advertising. Sounds strange but its true.

Your best advertising is word of mouth. Second is rolling advertising. Your company vehicles. Spend the most advertising on the rear of the vehicle. Side advertising should be big and bold but you’ll get more calls from people seeing the rear. Don’t advertise on the top LOL. Keep your vehicles clean.

Co-advertising. If you’re spending a lot of money buying from your supplier most will pay for a percentage of your advertising as long as their logo is included. Another way is let’s say you’re a decorator… Talk to furniture stores, carpet installers, mini blind installers and cleaning companies to co-advertise in one flier. You’re providing an all in one service to your clients and relieving them of the burden of shopping around. You’re cutting out competition and the co-advertisers with you are advertising for you as well as themselves.

Now here’s one that a lot of businesses fail to do. They get greedy. If you’re making $5000 from your client and $8000 from their neighbor because of word of mouth from the first client. Spend $200 on that first client. Buy them dinner tickets or tickets to the theatre. Send them tickets to a musical. Send them something. They’re making you money. Don’t boast about it. A simple “This is to Thank You for being a valued customer” goes a long way. They’ll remember you for it.

Oh, the customer is NOT always right. Part of your advertising is your appearance. Don’t wear that damn nasty strong cologne or perfume. Don’t meet with a client unprepared. Let your client see you’re in control. Have the latest cutting edge ideas and tell them how it will enhance the atmosphere their trying to create. You need to sell yourself and your product. 90% of your potential clients called you for something more then a price. If all you have is a price, you lost a sale. Take control!

Facts: Most customers approached in a store by a salesman saying “I’m just looking” are looking to buy. If you say “OK, but I wouldn’t want you to miss out on a fabulous sale we have on a remarkable product right over there” and walk away. That customer will mull around a bit. Go straight to the item you subliminally led them to, and buy it! Also if a customer is scratching their chin while they’re talking to you? They want to buy. Sell it to them damn it! Sell yourself and your product or they’ll look elsewhere. Your in business for a reason.

Back to work now.

Edit: I just thought of something. Any of you see how this can relate to recovery? Being prepared. Having the latest cutting edge tools to advertise and sell yourself a successful recovery. Just a thought. I’m only ½Sane ®.

Last edited by ½Sane ®; 03-15-2005 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Had a Jack Handy thought LOL