Notices

What do sober people do for fun?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa6381 View Post
Think about what you liked to do as a kid and start there. Also you can learn just about anything on YouTube. I've learned to play guitar, sew, and do yoga.
Ohh Yoga. That is on my bucket list. I never thought of looking on YouTube,
Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Be a health nut

Sign up for a 5k. Everyday training by running and walking a tiny bit but add more every day. A little bit. Baby steps. I also ride my bike in warm weather. Go on YouTube. Find videos on spiritual things, like Eckhart Tolle, healthy eating, how US is an addicted society and the part media plays in our addictions.Get a dog from the pound to walk. Take yoga. Join a meditation group. Find a cause. Volunteer at the pound. Teach someone to read. Congratulations and good journey.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

One of my excuses for drinking nearly a bottle of wine a night was that I was bored becauseI my husband either would be absobed by the internet and his headphones or in some way would amuse himself in what I call isolationist activities - I felt lonely in my marriage so I drank and watched TV. I could have done other things, but once that first glass of wine goes down, the motivation to do something like painting, exercise, writing, etc., goes away.
I like the idea of doing the things that appealed to you as a child/teenager/non-drinkier.
Also wondering whether the "this is fun" receptors in our brains don't get overstimulated or addicted to alcohol too so that our expectation of "fun" is skewed and it takes a while before we can simply enjoy life as life.
When I do use my time to do something that in my consuming days I complained about not having enough time to myself to do - Photoshop, writing, exercising - it's very rewarding. Also questioning whether I used alcohol as a procrastination device in some odd way.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

^^i am a firm believer in drugs, especially drugs like meth, heroin raising what scientists call our 'hedonic set point'..basically when we take drugs our hedonic set point gets raised to a very high degree, this is why i believe everything seems so boring when you get clean..i think in some people, they can recover whereas others wont..it will always feel like something is missing or that its quite difficult to experience pleasure..this is why simply pretending that we should go back to pre-drug years isnt going to work for many..our pleasure threshold has been elevated..

then again i have also read experts theorize that the reason many addicts use in the FIRST place is because their ability to feel pleasure is diminished when compared to normal people..thus, they need to go bungie jumping, or take drugs just to feel some pleasure..