Notices

Welcome Doorknob

Old 03-07-2005, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Welcome Doorknob

Welcome Paul,

There is a lot of support here at SR, hopefully it can be a source of help for you. I too, am not religious and I have some trouble with AA. No one here is judgemental about such issues, and do offer suggestions and support that I haven't found elsewhere. By the way, I am glad Bo is doing so well also. I lost a Springer Spaniel at 15 years, and now have a Wheaton who is 4. She is the light of my life. Good wishes to you on the road to long term sobriety.

Love,

Marilyn
Old 03-07-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks for the welcome Marilyn. I saw a link on "AA On Your Terms" in the "Alternatives" section I may check out and I have seen secular adaptations of the steps, but they were originally meant to be a religious conversion (Oxford stuff) and it is hard for me to get past their history. I just want to go for the support and fellowship without feeling like I'm in church lol.

Paul J
Old 03-07-2005, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Marilyn and Paul,

This is something that I would like to learn about also. I have done AA a few times in the past for short periods, but never stuck it out. This time I am truly dedicated to my recovery and will have to soon be looking for a program that works for me...Day 8 here. I am just curious how they accept other people who have other concepts of their "Highger Power". I have been delving into Buddhism, and have a certain personal sense of the power of the universe...but, I know that I am very stubborn on this issue.

Please post any resources on the subject.

Have a good one.
Lance
Old 03-07-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome doorknob!
We're glad you stopped by, how can we help?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hell, if your "spiritual connection" is contemplating your naval, so long as it works that's great...

BubbaBob
Old 03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Lance and Paul,

I did a little search and found the following:

www.homerecovery.net/aa5rate.cfm

www.alcoholism.about.com/od/non

Also found out there are lots of anti-aa folks out there who see AA as a cult that some folks need de-programming from. Not for me to judge, I know it works for those it works for and has saved lives, but there are alternatives. Good luck to you in your road to sobriety. I know I want to be there.

Marilyn
Old 09-27-2005, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Wow Mandy! I was just looking at some of your old threads and found that you were the first to welcome me to SR. Thank you so much and congrat's on 2 weeks! I'm right at 2 weeks myself.

Paul