Notices

One Week

Old 03-05-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ARW

One Week

Well, I made it through a Friday and it looks like I'm going to make it through a Saturday as well. That'll make one week!

I drove by several bars today and I swear I could smell the liquor from the road. I wanted to stop *SO* bad. Just one drink, I thought, but one leads to a 100 more.

Someone needs to invent the alcohol equivelant of the no-smoking patch. Real fast. Tomorrow starts my 2nd week and I'm stoked. I'm still scared I'll get cocky in a few weeks and lapse.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

After a while, the obsession will leave you. Go to as many meetings as you can a week. Get a sponser, get serious in the program.

I like your area you live in btw. I drove trhu that tunnel a couple of years ago. I didn't drive to far up the bay there. I didn't know what was all up that way.

My son is stationed in Norfolk.

Glad your here, keep coming back.

chris
Old 03-05-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ARW

Ye, this area is really nice. 3.5M people within 20 miles of the tunnels. Hampton Roads is one of the largest metro areas in the country...and no one's heard of it. A tractor trailer drove off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel two nights ago. They found the truck at the bottom of the bay but no driver yet. Water temperature is 39 degrees. He never stood a chance. Very sad.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

If by chance I make it out there this summer, I'd be sure grateful to you if, you'd show me to a meeting.

They drive badly in Norfolk. I saw 3 wrecks in 3 days. You need to have the vision of an owl.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ARW

Absolutely to the meetings.

I always tell people that when I first moved here, I was on the highway doing 75 in 55 when I was passed by a blue handicap school bus. :-)
Old 03-06-2005, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, ARW, congrats on the 1 week so far!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ama

Well done on your first week!!!!!!! Isnt it great to remember what happened last night......our memory is so badly effected by our drinking and we dont realise it - not just the blackouts.....

As is says at the meetings "Keep Coming Back"!!!!!!!!!

Luvs Ama
Old 03-06-2005, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go on the one week hopefully in time it well get easier.In a.a they tell you to believe in a higher power and so far for me its working.So good luck and kep posting.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there ARW...and congratulations on one week!

I am here on day 7 and just feeling better about myself and situation than I have in a long time. I too am a scared that I will get "cocky" with myself after a certain point and forget all the work it too me to get to this very early point. I am actively trying to make a strategy with myself if I feel myself getting there.

Let's both make it week 2.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by ARW
Someone needs to invent the alcohol equivelant of the no-smoking patch. Real fast. Tomorrow starts my 2nd week and I'm stoked. I'm still scared I'll get cocky in a few weeks and lapse.
Actually there is one out there, but don't be fooled, the only thing you'll loose is your $$$$.

Now that your aware you have the potential for being "cured". Also, don't let it fool you, we end up a helluva a lot worse off when we go out and test the waters again.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi ARW,

Congratualtions on one week. You're doing great. It's minute by minute sometimes until it gets easier and the obsession is lifted. We're glad you're here.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ARW

I quit 1 1/2 years ago for about 2 months. It was so much harder then. The shakes and sweating and urges were nearly unbearable. Lasted 2-3 days. This time was much easier but that may be because I knew what to expect. Plus my drinking pattern was much different now. I don't want to get complacent again after 2 months and think I can drink like a normal person. I can't. But I guarantee I'll think I'm "cured"...just gotta keep reminding myself that a cure doesn't exist for me. Only abstinence.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

(((ARW)))

Congratulations on 1 week. You've got the right idea. Abstinence is the only way. I've tried the other methods. My mind tried to trick me into thinking I could handle a few. It was a painful lesson indeed. You don't want to move backwards into old habits. You never know where it will lead you. Keep trudging forward. Good luck...