Notices

My sobriety

Old 03-03-2005, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

My sobriety

Tonight I need special prayers that I maintain my sobriety. Lately, thoughts of using are overwhelming me. The disease is lying to me saying that a drug will make all the hurt go away when in reality it will only end up creating more hurt. I want to stay sober. My life is worth fighting for.

Dixie
Old 03-03-2005, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI dixie,

Trust that the pain is only temporary - as much as it may lie and say it's here to stay, it's not. When really tempted to pick up in my early days I always thought of it like this - If I'm really hurting, whatever particular thing I'm going through, I'm already half way through. If I pick up I MAY get some temporary relief, but eventually I'm going to wind up at exactly this spot again. I always chose to just go through it the one time I was sitting in the pain. You know that no drug or amount of alcohol is going to take away whatever you're feeling. It is only going to add a whole new and worse dimension of pain.

A few things to keep in mind that have really helped me.

- The more it hurts the more you're growing.
- If the urge is to drink alcohol - an ice cream sunday really works wonders.
- Nothin has been more powerful than prayer for me.

Hmmm... don't want to keep going on and on. I'll finish by noting that the first time I almost really picked up my sponsor talked me through it by having me tell him exactly what it would be like right now if I picked up - then he asked how I'd feel an hour from now, how I'd feel when I went to bed, how I'd feel the next morning when I woke up, and how I'd feel the next evening. He made thinking it through real for me. Perhaps you might want to try picturing all that.

I'll send a prayer your way right now. It's soooo freaking worth it to stick it out, bite the bullet, do whatever you can to not pick up and win this single battle you're dealing with tonight. I can't tell you the miracles I've experienced. Peace and luck. Joe
Old 03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Joe, thank you so much. Your words are just what I needed to hear tonight. Just for today, I'll remember the words you said and fight hard to win this battle. That's all it takes, one day at a time.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Agnostic with faith

Hi Dixie,

Isn't it wonderful to realize that the disease is lying to us. Therefore you already know the outcome an feel a lot more prepared to face the urges.

Think also about this: if you're hurting and to drink to relieve it, not only would you have not solved anything but you'd have added a second problem at the bottom of the bottle, and this one could hurt even more.

My thoughts are with you ((((Dixie))))
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dixie! You can do it. I'm going to think about you today, and we will be make this day a success...Take Care...
Old 03-04-2005, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Lightbulb

Hi Dixie. you are healing honey. Stay strong, use all of the tools you have at your disposal. You have meetings, literature, and you have us. Strong shoulders to lean on, ears to listen and arms to ((HUG)) you tight thru this.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there Dixie,

Take it an hour at a time. We all need to stick together in this and you can do it.

My prayers are with you.