Notices

90 days sober and I want to drink really bad!!!!!

Old 02-25-2005, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 days sober and I want to drink really bad!!!!!

Hello,
I have tried to quit drinking a couple of times in the last four years. Everytime I reach the 90 day mark I start craving alcohol again. The last few times I gave in and started again. Why does it happen around the third month? I haven't drank yet but I can't stop thinking about it!!
Today I sat in front of Ralphs supermarket for 1 hour contemplating going inside and getting some Heineken beer.

What is it about the 3rd month mark?

Thanks,
jasaman
Old 02-25-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I can't say for sure what it is about the 90 day mark, but it sounds like you didn't go in to buy the beer. That's progress isn't it? You must have thought it through and came out ahead of the game. That says something in itself. Kudos to you. Are you working a recovery program? That may help with the alcohol cravings. Good luck ...
Old 02-25-2005, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

on my own....

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
I can't say for sure what it is about the 90 day mark, but it sounds like you didn't go in to buy the beer. That's progress isn't it? You must have thought it through and came out ahead of the game. That says something in itself. Kudos to you. Are you working a recovery program? That may help with the alcohol cravings. Good luck ...
Thanks for your reply,
No, I'm not in any recovery program like AA. I thought about it. Just thought I could do it on my own. Maybe it would help.

jasaman
Old 02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

AA sure helped me. I no longer have cravings. I never thought I'd ever be able to quit drinking. I drank everyday. Day and night towards the end. I'm coming up on 8 months sober now. I'm amazed by how my life has changed. I'd suggest checking out AA or some other recovery program. It may make the world of difference in your life. For the first time in a very long time, I'm living.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, I often found myself in the same position. But I could never make it as long as you have before a relapse! Your doing somthing right. But it sounds like you may need a little help to get to the next level. I could never have sobered up without he help of AA. I would look into AA, or research and get involved with the many other programs. Hang in there and don't go to that supermarket tonight! What I used to do was to circle the liquor stores in my car, trying to fight the temptation to stop in. You need a distraction now. So eat a meal, watch a movie, or just keep reading and posting here at SR.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Agnostic with faith

Looks to me that the 90 day mark began as a coincidence of some sort, and now, when you start thinking about them it triggers the cravings.

Still you've resisted and congratulations.

All you MUST do is to contact A/A, go to a treatment programm, psycotherapy, all together, it's your choice. But never alone. Iy always seems you can, but you can't, not on your own. It NEVER works. Get help.

Good Luck.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
knucklehead

jasaman, It is time to work through that 90 day obsticle. It is just your old addicted personality trying to take its power back. The addict is just messing with your head. You did not go in to the market to get that beer today. Why?

Dont let this hangup with the 90 days of your hard won sobriety turn you around now. Keep your sober power hold onto it. You got 90 days a day at a time. A day at a time is how you get to the next level. Good luck I am rooting for you.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for your words of encouragement everyone. I will check out AA. Is there anything else besides AA I should be doing? Vitamins? Anything that would help?

jasaman
Old 02-26-2005, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was told in the early days , to get to Macca's have a huge milkshake when I felt like drinking, it worked for me , but not the waistline lol

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-26-2005, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
knucklehead

My recomendation is to hold on tight, pay attention, practice patience and take it a day at a time and most importantly dont be fooled by the addict personality of yours.