Notices

Sleeping too much

Old 02-23-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping too much

When I was at rehab, I only got about 6 or 7 hours of sleep at night and rarely got naps in the afternoon. But I wasn't too tired. But the past two days I've been home, I have slept 12-14 hours a night! Is this part of Post Acute Withdrawal or something? I am exhausted during the day too. Could this be depression? I don't feel depressed, though. What's going on? I thought once I quit drinking that I wouldn't sleep all day. I don't like this. I think I will try to set my alarm clock tomorrow so I don't sleep so much.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

maybe you could do stuff during that day to keep you busy. any hobbies? also dont forget to eat well it will help your REM rebound. hope that helps.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

good idea
we all need to rest or sleep
The proper amount is up to the indiviual.
I myself need 8 hours and a 1/2 hr. nap after work to rest my mind
or unwine.

Too much sleep can also lead to depression or laziness.
There's an exception to everything, but an exception must
not become the rule.

I've been trying to get back to my regular sleeping
habit. I notice the change in me already.

working the steps....well, I can rest my head easy on pillow at night.

Try not to be so hard on yourself, You body is going thur
alot without drugs or alcohol.
I was suggested to take walks until I get tired so I can sleep
if I had a hard time sleep. Caffeen at nitely meetings ?? I try not
to drink it.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilalkie
When I was at rehab, I only got about 6 or 7 hours of sleep at night and rarely got naps in the afternoon. But I wasn't too tired. But the past two days I've been home, I have slept 12-14 hours a night! Is this part of Post Acute Withdrawal or something? I am exhausted during the day too. Could this be depression? I don't feel depressed, though. What's going on? I thought once I quit drinking that I wouldn't sleep all day. I don't like this. I think I will try to set my alarm clock tomorrow so I don't sleep so much.
Treatment can be cozy, a safe place away from all the problems of home.

When I left treatment, I missed the friends I'd made there a lot.

It also provided a bunch of stimulation, whereas home is kinda boring in comparison.

Meetings, people, getting out and making new friends, all that stuff might help. You'll readjust to home life.

Tracy
Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi lilalkie,

It could also be that you need more sleep at this point in your recovery. It is possible that you did not get enough sleep in rehab and your body is simply recuperating. I have noticed in my own case that I can sleep for 9 or more hours and feel like I needed it and I am in early recovery as well. Maybe getting into a routine of meetings, hobbies, etc. would help. I have to get up every morning to take my daughter to school and this forces me to get going. Good idea to try the alarm clock too.

You are doing great!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Lilalkie,
I've never been in rehab as a resident, and I was wondering if the rehab had your day structured around activities that they planned. Now that you're out of rehab, your days may not be as structured as they once were.
Maybe attempting to engage in an activity will decrease your natural tendency to sleep. Sometimes this is hard to do so don't give up. Stay strong!
Val
Old 02-23-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, all the activities were structured. We had breakfast at 7:30, lecture at 9, group therapy at 10, lunch at noon, lecture at 1:15, and varied evening activities. But the days were very full and busy. I don't have a job yet, so I have been spending the past two days cleaning the house, since my husband left it a mess for me..grrr...and spending the evenings at AA. I might start up my crafts that I never finished because I was too drunk. I spend a lot of time reading too. Maybe that's why I'm so groggy. I haven't done much activities. I need to blow the dust off my workout videos too! Ha ha!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well see there Lilalkie. I see what you mean. And don't underestimate the value of a good workout. You put that last, but if you can make yourself tackle those videos, you'll have all of that life-saving oxygen to complete the rest of the challenges you put in front of yourself. None of it's easy Lilalkie. Just take it a step at a time...you know....a little grapevine here...and a high kick there never hurt anyone. Good luck and stay strong!
Val
Old 02-23-2005, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Grapevine, lol! That reminds me of Denise Austin. She's obsessed with them.

I was spoiled at rehab. They had these top-of-the-line elliptical trainers and every morning there was a personal trainer there that took us through a workout. Sniff. Sniff. Billy Blanks or Denise Austin on tv just isn't the same. Boo hoo!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grapevine, lol! That reminds me of Denise Austin. She's obsessed with them.
Well, I'm glad you mentioned Denise Austin, because I went all the way back to the Jane Fonda workout...and I'm not even sure if the grapevine was around yet! HAHA! So Lilalkie, I proposed an aerobic workout in your honor next Wednesday on the Newcomers "hop on the newbie bus" thread at 10:00am if you're up for it. Don't forget to dress the part and don't forget your workout videos. See you there.
Val
Old 02-23-2005, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Lila,

I know what you mean about the sleep. I am getting off various drugs and I naively thought that I would have more energy becuase I knew the drugs were disturbing my sleep. I found that I have been sleeping at least 9 hours a night and still tired during the day. I think we just need some time to catch up, not only on recent sleep deprivation but perhaps years of deprivation and bodily abuse.

I am really glad to hear that you had a good experience in rehab. I have been giving a great deal of thought to finding a way to go myself.

Do you mind my asking which one you went to? Is it a place you would reccomend?

Be well,
Necile
Old 02-24-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I will definitely be at next Wednesday's morning workout! Bring on the cardio!

The name of the rehab facility I went to was Glenbeigh and it was in the very northeastern part of Ohio. I had a wonderful stay there. I definitely recommend it if you have insurance. It gave me a solid foundation in sobriety and the staff was very wonderful there. Plus, the food was actually decent. Always a plus! I lost 5 pounds from my beer belly while I was there--yay!
If you feel that you need inpatient rehab, I definitely recommend going. If I hadn't gone, I'd still be struggling. AA wasn't enough to keep me sober, because I needed detox and rehab. If you feel you can't stay sober on your own with meetings and working the steps, go for it! You won't be sorry! Rehab was a blessing for me.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lilalkie I will definitely be at next Wednesday's morning workout! Bring on the cardio!
Hi Lilalkie,
It's me Val. Penny and I have decided to start the workout today, so get to the newbie bus today if you get a chance. Bring some small weights, floor mat, and bottled water.
Val