Notices

I am new and I need a guidance.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am new and I need a guidance.

Good Day to all.
I have been reading threads on this site for a long time. It has taught me so very much. I have even been welcomed by a few people. Thank you for that.
However, I am not sure which place I belong. I want to learn about how to deal with someone who is addicted to drugs (mostly drugs...maybe alcohol) and I also want to be more in tune with the addict. I need to embrace both areas in order to stay strong...I know that but where do I begin? I need to become a little stronger too. I am so tired of the same routine....I want ME back.
I want to become part of this "family". You all seem to be on the same page and love and respect the opinions of one another.
Please accept my gratitude in advance for all the guidance you can offer.
sadsis
Old 02-11-2005, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I would try the friends and families forums.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sadsis...
Glad you are here...
Here is a link to the forum that would probably best suit your needs.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...splay.php?f=49

Old 02-11-2005, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sadsis,

It can't hurt for you to see what people in recovery go through. Then you will be more informed and better able to deal.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2005, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcom i just want you to know addiction is adction the product you use really dont matter. just remember there is support here when you need it
Old 02-11-2005, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome tell us a little more about what's going on in your life you'll make lots of friends find support and it's all unconditional and non judgemental keep posting.
indigo
Old 02-11-2005, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you to all who responded to my questions. I was sort of embarrassed to ask because you all seem so knowledgable.
My 'baby' brother is an addict. I love him like crazy.
These last few years have been the saddest ever...I have watched someone that I grew up with and played with and laughed with slowly kill himself.
Sometimes I am surprised that he is still here. I hear about things on the news and pray that it is not him. We have tackled recovery, we have had sober houses, we have had interventions. I tried everything in my power to help him beat this demon.
I love him and I know the good, loving, compassionate funny guy that he is. I have also come to know the "other side"....it is awful.
He has disappointed me so many times I can't count. The anxiety of not knowing if he is alive becomes overwhelming. He seems resourceful though...just when I am sure he can't survive, he calls.

I guess I am rambling because I have kept this to myself for three yrs. I wouldn't tell anyone. I took it all on myself. My family knows now but they do not know what I do. See, he reached out to me a little over a yr ago after living on the streets and told me things that I wish I didn't know.

I wish that there were a miracle drug that could make him forget what the high feels like. I wish that my love and friendship could make him feel like putting down and never using again. God, that would be awesome.

I am sorry for rambling on....
I will tell you all this; God works in mysterious ways. I went to bed several nights ago and asked Him to help me find some strength to get through this latest relapse. I found this site the very next day.

God sent you all to me.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I pray that someday you will have the name "happysis".
It is so hard to see someone we love go down this road. I have been on both sides, as the addict and as the sis of an alcoholic. My brother, is a wonderful guy. But he has the problem of thinking he has no problem. I think, deep, deep down he knows, but he is too proud to accept help, since he is a professional, he thinks he is beyond that! I know too well how our minds play games on us.
Sis, you can't make your brother recover, but you can take care of you. Have you tried NARANON? That is a face to face support group for family and friends of alcoholic. There should be at least one in your area if not more.
Hang in there, keep praying for him and keep coming back here. This is a great support system.
Dawn
Old 02-13-2005, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

it really seemed like as long as my family kept taking me in and helping me out, or fellow addicts for that matter, i stayed in denial about my disease, and when they stopped enabling me they took a big chance that they would never see me again, but it truly was needed for me to quit denying reality!!!!It's called tough love!
God gave me the opportunity to recover and it was only up to me, no one could make me do anything, So true that you must look after you, bless you and keep coming back, jsut sharing about your feelings gives them less power over you.