Notices

Tough Day

Old 02-08-2005, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tough Day

What a day! Now I am beginning to understand triggers and all the rest. I went to a client's whom I had done a lot of work for last spring. No smoking in the building of course so I go out on the roof. Wow, when I got out there all I could think of was last year and Friday nights. No work tomorrow, beer and my girlfriend waiting for me at home. Then we would have a great time together all weekend.
Well that is the double whammy cause no girlfriend--recent split up--and no beer. Then I sat and thought about all the good times with that person. You know how that goes?
I sure would like a beer or 20. It is so easy to do that too. Same route home and almost pulled in to the liquor store as I always did before. Then it is like---wait a minute stupid--you can't do that anymore. It was just an automatic reaction to do it. Then the realization that no girlfriend makes me miss her more and want beer even more because of that. What a big baby huh?
Well I'm going to go eat and watch a movie. Maybe that will help.
Thanks for the ears.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you have heard the one day at a time thing, well stopping for beers after work is a hard habbit to stop. i've found this to work:
tell yourself i'll just go home for now, later i'll go back out if i must. sometimes just getting past that store is all you need. at least that is what works for me.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Boozer. You are doing great ya know. Just keep telling yourself, just for today, (or just for this hour, minute) I choose not to drink. Sit down and watch a movie, read a book, take a nice hot bath whatever you have to do for this minute to keep you occupied.

Keep talking bud, we're here for you.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

man i know where you commin from. my wfes in indy and i could get drunk without her knowing.but i would
Old 02-08-2005, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Boozer,
It does get better...it really does.Hang in there my friend.
Hope you enjoy your dinner and movie.It makes alot better night sober!
Just keep that in mind.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Boozer, that's better than I did...I had to drive all out of the way when I went to town just so I wouldn't drive past a liquor store.

Hang in there...it does get better.

BubbaBob
Man plans...God laughs
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Its just a butt kicker that's all. Such is life. Dinner and watching a movie helped.

BubbaBob--I actually was not even thinking about it when I drove by. I had done the same drive recently and was trying to remember when and with who. I remembered who--the ex--and then went right back to old patterns and almost stopped at the liquor store. Habit I guess. You have the right idea. I go back there later this week and will not take that route.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Boy can I relate! In early recovery driving home from work past the convienance store was so hard. Convienance is right! It get's easier stick with it, your doing good!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is right across the street from my house too!!!! I've always said it is tooooo convenient. I wonder how much money I have spent there in the past 3 1/2 years? Bet I could have had a top of the line flat panel by now.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Boozer,
One of the first things I realized when I got sober was the fact of how many liquor stores there actually were in this world!
They were everywhere.
Funny how we don't notice it when we were drinking.But now we do.It really bothered me alot.
Now,I do not notice it as much.
Hang tough man! This too shall pass!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad I wasn't a beer drinker...just the hard stuff...liquor stores were easy to avoid...don't know how I'd have dealt with all the places that sell beer.

BubbaBob
Man plans...God laughs
Old 02-09-2005, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bubba,

I liked both. 2 -3 six packs Red Tail Ale (which is very tasty) and a bottle of whiskey. Old Bushmills was the best but usually it was Seagrams 7.
Well it s a new day and no desire or hurt so yeehah!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

I think its great that you got through those moments!!!And did something to get your mind off it, keep it up.
On of the treatment centres i was in was in the city where i did all my using. Fridays were recreation day and one friday our coucillor told us we were going for a drive [after going swimming], well it was through a neighborhood that was a serious trigger for me, really, the whole dang neighborhood!
So, i said I'm really not comfortable with this, its too soon, he said thats how hes able today to face his triggers , just head on. Well i persisted and he was nice enough to take my concerns into consideration. Today 8 months later I'm still not comfortable in that neighborhood. But it amazes me all the triggers i have! It could be a sound , a word, somebody who looks like somebody, a certain make of car, or even the sound of a car.....i could go on. Another coucillor I know has been off heroine for 17 years and the smell of sulphur from a match is STILL a trigger for him. So it will take time to get used to the triggers being triggers , but I guess as time goes on they will just get easier to deal with. I remember going to some of my first AA meetings and thinking...look at all these longtimers...I couldnt figure out why they still were coming to meetings! lol Now I know of course, thats what kkeps them sober. But i thought, jeez, after all that time they still crave?! Great, thats something to look forward too...
Sometimes I'm amazed at the things the prgram and sober people in the program has taught me, and i have so much learning yet to go. The more I learn the more i realize I don't know!!!! \\// peace