Notices

AA meeting question

Old 01-27-2005, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meeting question

This is probably going to sound stupid... but is it worthwhile to go to a meeting even if chances are good that you won't be able to go to that meeting more than once? I ask because I am probably going to do just that today - I plan to go to a midday meeting, and normally I couldn't do that due to my work schedule. Do you still think it's worthwhile to go?

Thanks for your opinion.
--anne
Old 01-27-2005, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is definately worthwhile to go. I have gone to a few meetings just once because of having a different time schedule on that particular day. You will probably see people there that will also be attending the meetings that you will be attending during your regular work schedule. Go to the meeting! Let us know how everything turns out.

Sherry
Old 01-27-2005, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Anne,

I hope things are looking better for you today. Let us know how you're doing.

Love, Anna
Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Anne.
First, I want to say that I'm happy yesterday's events are somewhat behind you now.
The sun rose this morning yes?
As for the meeting, oh, by all means go.
You have absolutely nothing to lose.
Take good care.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Anne,

from all accounts form your post, you owe it to yourself to at least give AA a fair shot. You found time to drink right? I don't put in half the effort I put into drinking. I'm still sober many 24 hours later. Where abouts do you live? Any larger city has meetings around the clock. I drank round the clock might as well have a meetings like that.

Go to meetings until you want to go to meetings. That's what was told to me early on in my sobriety. You know what, it's worked over a 1000 some meetings later I'm still here and I can't wait to get up each day

Chris
Old 01-27-2005, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. You're right... I should go, even if it's just this once. There will be people there who can identify with me, and that's helpful all by itself even if I don't end up at that meeting regularly.

Yes, the sun did rise today! I was pretty sure a few times yesterday that surely it wouldn't.

Thank you all again for your help.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Annne...
I have worn those shoes you were wearing yesterday many, many times.
Being the stubborn girl I am, I fought any sort of regiment required to get sober. I was caught up in the chaos of it all...
Again and again I have had to come to the painful conclusion that I have had no success in getting sober alone... as much as I hate to admit that I am not the fierce self-sufficient, "I dont need anyone" "I can live off the land if I have too."
I have great survival tools to survive in the wilderness... : will eat
But when it comes to overcoming my addiction to alcohol, I struggle finding the tools that will help me overcome its powerful grasp.
I have found great spiritual reprieve in working some kind of program that involves interaction with other's who are alcoholic like me.
We have to admit that we are truly interrelated with all of life... it simply is not realistic to think that we always have to stand alone at the summit, fighting the elements.
Anyway, I have to deal with bi-polar issues as well as my addiction to alcohol.
I deal with them seperately....
AA for Alcoholism
good psych dr. for mood disorder... depression management.

We have meetings here on-line... you might want to check one out.
There is one tonight, here is a link that will give you the details.

http://soberrecovery.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47653