Notices

Hate the weekends

Old 01-13-2005, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hate the weekends

Im having trouble coping with the weekends alone. I have recently split from my partner of 2 years who has decided he cant be in a relationship due to only being in recovery (NA and AA) for 6 months - I do understand that. However it leaves me alone and sad and I do miss him terribly. I have been going to my own AA meetings and doing alanon, but still when the pain hits its fearce. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to handle this. I long to come back to work on Mondays.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Are there any single people in the program or that you work with you can do things with? We're a couple oriented society. Do you have things that you've been putting off? Now's as good as time as ever to tackle those projects you need to do.

How about your family? Do you visit with them? Getting sober has opened my eyes to the fact that our loved ones aren't around for ever. If you can, go visit a family member.

You have a gymn you can join? Working out is a good thing to do. Get that body toned makes the mind feel better as well
Old 01-14-2005, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jennie,

Captainzing is right. Basically you've got to do things that will take your mind off drinking and your loneliness. Change your lifestyle and do something different. Something that helped save my soul was getting involved in volunteer work at the same time I stopped drinking. There's so much satisfication in doing something that is bigger than yourself!

Love, Anna
Old 01-14-2005, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Brightt Eyess

I can relate.My EX and I just broke up and now every weekend im alone.I dont have many friends and always spent the weekends w/ my BF.Sometimes the boredum gets to me and I want to drink but dont.
You have to watch out when the boredum sets in,thats a big reason for relapse.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Language classes - Alliance Francaise?
Toastmasters - i think it's toastmasters.org - check on google - GREAT way to meet people and have fun, sober!
the gym - particularly classes - like aerobics, tae-bo, etc - whether you are fit or not, doesn't matter.
vplunteering at weekends? perhaps with elderly or disabled - provides GREAT perspective!!
Horse riding? Getting out in nature.

And anything else that you always wanted to do but never had time/energy to do.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

CAthy31
x
Old 01-16-2005, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All your suggestions are great, thanks so much. Even though my addiction is alcohol I am aware that my addiction just right now is my ex. I have to stay away from him and let him get on with his recovery - he is my poison. So really I am putting the steps into my life to heal and keep me away from my poison. Its very hard especially when you have been in love with something that is so wrong for you. I see it now and now when I look back at all the bad times I see how sick I have been. Still on the human side being alone in the weekends when in the past you have done so much together, is like having your heart ripped out. But I am determined and so some of your suggestions are perfect thank you thank you. And thank you for being there for me.
Jennie
Old 01-17-2005, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Take a class in a new language. Join an indoor volleyball class. Book club. Go to StarBucks and read. Movies. MEETINGS. MEETINGS. MEETINGS. Alanno Clubs. Theres always things to do. Call a sponsor. Go shopping. Treat yourself to a movie and dinner out. Order a pizza and get a video. Play a video game. Pick up a new hobby. Good Luck and God Bless.....