Notices

My Recovery

Old 01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Recovery

I wanted to give everyone an update on how I am doing and also start and ongoing post that will help me keep track of my progress as I continue on my road to recovery.

I am now on Day 8 of sobriety! I have no withdrawal symptoms and yesterday I went to see Phantom of the Opera by myself. It was a lot of fun, I loved the movie, and I enjoyed being out in the world instead of drunk at home waiting for my SO to come home. I also had an appointment a long way away from home (about 1.5 hour drive!) which made me nervous (I get panic attacks on the road) but I weathered it fine and am stronger for doing so.

My next meeting is tomorrow and I can't wait. They are so empowering and, even though I don't feel any cravings, it's often when I am feeling strongest that I slip.

Today I spent the day in the kitchen which was wonderful. I made eclairs and cream puffs for the first time-something I could not have done drunk. It's raining here now, but the day has been a bright one for me.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
gtftlsd

Hello Steppeson,
keep up the good work
my hero.
Im going to be able to make a post like yours someday.

god speed
chase
Old 01-13-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((((((( Steppeson)))))))))
Wonderful to read the beginning of your journey with such positive events already happening. Please pass on a virtual eclair and cream puff if you could. ;-)

Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
3 Legacy
:tri
Old 01-13-2005, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3legacy
(((((((( Steppeson)))))))))
Wonderful to read the beginning of your journey with such positive events already happening. Please pass on a virtual eclair and cream puff if you could.

Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
3 Legacy

Lol, they are coming your way, with extra chocolate sauce!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Absolutely NUMMY

Thanks! My keyboard is one heck of a mess this morning.

Have a great DAY 9!

((((((((Steppeson))))))))

3 Legacy
Old 01-16-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just a quick update...I am on Day 11

Last night was a little tough...I was restless and heard the call of a drink. But I recognized it and set about doing things to distract myself....I finally watched the 5 hour, extended version of "Return of the King". It helped me get through that old "I'm bored, let's drink" mentality!

Today is much better. It's sunny out, and I'm busy getting life in order and enjoying my moments of sobriety.

Best wishes to all of you and thanks again!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Steppeson)))

Best wishes to you and keep up the fine work.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

((((Steppeson))))

You are doing SUCH a great job. I am so pleased for you and you are a real inspiration as well. I'm on about week 2 now and had my first major outing last night sober...a 60th birthday party which had beenplanned for months. Ordinarily, this morning would have been the usual panic attack/made fool of self, etc etc...well! I was the only one sober! and it was great..bit boring by about 1am all people my age and older were trashed, but gosh I was so happy I held it together, and felt GREAT this morning, i hope that i can hold onto that feeling.

Meeting-goers make it!

I bought the little red book and also twenty four hours a dya...great help. I also ordereed "my mind is out to get me"! you might want to read the review on amazon.com/.//..someone here recommended it humorous and no so humorous stories from recovery!

good luck and i am just DELIGHTED for you. IT takes some work, but it's worth it.

THanks for updating us and WELL DONE!

love
cathy31
x
Old 01-16-2005, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you Stepson. That is excellent progress.

How was "Phantom" anyway? I hear nothing like the Broadway play. Isn't it fun to do things sober, and get cultured or just even read the paper?

I'm truly happy for you.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nodope
Good for you Stepson. That is excellent progress.

How was "Phantom" anyway? I hear nothing like the Broadway play. Isn't it fun to do things sober, and get cultured or just even read the paper?

I'm truly happy for you.
It was a fun movie! The singers were not all Broadway level, but I thought they all worked fine for the movie. It's fairly similar to the play, however.

Yes, it's great doing things sober...I can finally watch movies (like that 5 hour Return of the King) without passing out in the first 20 minutes! And my house has never been so clean! :tongue3:
Old 01-16-2005, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

I used to have to rewatch the ending of movies the next day. I couldn't remember anything past a certain point. I'd rewind until something looked familiar. It was strange to know I watched it, but couldn't remember it.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I'm still here! I thought I'd give an update. I am on day 19 of sobriety!! Yea!

The hardest times, I find, aren't the times when I get the blues. Instead, it's when I am feeling great. Those little thoughts of "oh, it would be okay to have a little drink, you are doing so well and one day out of 15 wouldn't be bad" are ones I am now on the look out for! I always fell prey to them before, but no longer.

I've found some great meetings all around Atlanta-I can't go every day but at least every other and they have been soooo helpful. I went to a family birthday party yesterday and for the first time in forever I just enjoyed the simple pleasure of being around loved ones and enjoying good food and laughter without the alcohol.

Thanks to everyone here again...you are all in my prayers!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stepson,congradualtions on day 19! And welcome to SoberRecovery.I just read your posts in this thread and see how much you have already progressed in the last couple weeks.Atlanta does have some good meetings and plenty of them.I used to live in Atlanta.(Douglasville,Norcross,Kennesaw,and Temple.)Yeah,I get around.Anyway,I am glad your here and look forward to reading more of your posts. Michael