Notices

No Meeting, but still sober!

Old 01-07-2005, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Meeting, but still sober!

Well, I didn't make it to the meeting this morning. Being the second day, I'm still pretty anxious and tired and I didn't feel like I could handle the drive. There is one tomorrow though that is only 10 minutes away. So I'll definitely make that one. Also, on Sunday there are two that I want to attend.

So, today I will be reading this board and getting things done around the house. I'm getting ready to take my dog for a walk too...anything to keep from that awful drinking! I'm not craving it, just have that second day hangover feeling...I know it will get better!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome to SR,
Steppeson!!

Congrats on your 2 days sober! And yes, do get to that meeting. It will work wonders!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-07-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcom, Eddie! I will be making it to that meeting tomorrow, and I'm actually very excited about it. It's a closed meeting and a step meeting. Should I know anything about these things going in?
Old 01-07-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I'd like to share with you a friend of mines brother came into my home groups meeting last night. 28 years ago he killed a man on a motor cycle. He was sent to prison for 3 years. He got out drank for a little bit has been dry for almost 25 years. he came to the meeting last night miserable. This disease never goes away. With meetings we try and keep it in remission.

For many of us this is our only chance to live a normal life. I'm so grateful for what this program has done for me. Stay around and read the posts of people with some sobriety in here. You'll hear of gratitude. Our mission is to carry the 12th step to those still suffering. I do mean the word suffering. This disease never gets better only worse.
It was almost to the point of insanity to me. I'd drink till i no longer knew what was going on. I could not stop.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Steppeson~
Welcome! YOu don't need to know anything beforehand...just get there!

If you phone your gso (like the local AA place) they will even give you a number of someone who could pick you up or meet you beforehand and walk in with you.

It WILL work wonders! Promise!

Each day gets better....my own experience : each time I go to a meeting I literally DO NOT want to drink for at least one day maybe two! It's like, if you do the one (meeting) you just physically won't want to drink..not a bad feeling!

Good luck and let us know how you get on -it IS something to be excited about!

I am new to AA too since November I think, and last night I went to a meeting in another city - and I was actually really excited about it, and I wasn't disappointed!

I walked in - just as you might do tomorrow (not might walk in but might as in your circ's might be similar to mine - I know you'll get there!!) walked in ... alone...didn't know venue, drove past it a few times had to pluck up courage to someone outside ( a good clue you got the right place is lots of smokers outside!!!) are you here for the MEETING and he said yes pointed to the door - 2 people came up to me immediately and hugged me and welcomed me. That's what it is like. Total strangers, but the welcome and love and caring is always there. I was still a bit nervous like you might be, but go through with it! And don't speak if you don't want to - just nod and smile and say I'll just listen, I'm glad to be here.

There was a guy there who sat next to me and brought in carrot cake to celebrate his 23 year anniversary sober...he had been to rock, rock bottom and I said to him I'd keep the serviette as a reminder for me when hopefully I got to the same!

When I said congratulations at first, he said "it's just one day at a time and I'm celebrating this anniversary because it's a celebration for/of AA. I go to a meeting every single day and that's how I have stayed sober. one day at a time"

Amazing, hey?

You will be amazed at the support and love you will receive. Please let us know how you get on!

Love
Cathy31
xxx
Old 01-07-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Captainzing

Thanks Captainzing your posts always make me really think.

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 01-07-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Congradulations on your 2 days sober ! I am pulling for you ! Bless,Trish
Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((((((Steppeson))))))))
You sound like you've been beat up enough already. Smooth sailing awaits if you follow your decision with action. Your heading in a very positive direction. I can really relate to CaptainZing's post as well. It strikes a chord deep in my heart. I've spent over a decade carrying the AA Message "back inside" razor-wired facilities. I've met many gentleman and seen quite a few return again and again. Each time they return to such facilities in a deeper degree misery.

However, There Is A Solution! A bright spot in many of my days is hearing from previous members of " The Freedom Seekers" Group of Alcoholics Anonymous who've grasped our Solution and no longer live behind razor-wire. For that matter, I seldom sense in their voices anything resembling a state of misery.

Happy Joyous and Free, they have become not only Freedom Seekers, but also Freedom Finders. I hope and pray the same for you. Carrying the message inside these facilities is a good reminder for me and I believe it also keeps me from rejoining them in surviving behind the walls.

((((((((((((Steppeson))))))))))) (((((((((CaptainZing & SR A-Z #'s included)))))))))
Thanks for being a part of my continuing Sobriety.
Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service,
3 Legacy
Old 01-07-2005, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Steppeson
Thanks for the welcom, Eddie! I will be making it to that meeting tomorrow, and I'm actually very excited about it. It's a closed meeting and a step meeting. Should I know anything about these things going in?
You're welcome for the welcome! LOL. I think the others have pretty much covered what you "should know." Enjoy! Oh, and pat your doggies on the head for me, too.
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-07-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie z.
You're welcome for the welcome! LOL. I think the others have pretty much covered what you "should know." Enjoy! Oh, and pat your doggies on the head for me, too.
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Lol, only one dog here...a beautiful Shepherd named Juno. She loved the walk and I really enjoyed it too! I went to the store to get some ingredients for a recipe that I want to try tonight...I'm using chicken broth instead of wine

I've done a ton of cleaning too, and am pretty much past the "danger zone" that I usually start in. This 24 hours wasn't so bad!!
Old 01-07-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

It keeps getting better. One 24 at a time. Have a good one...
Old 01-07-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Steppeson
I've done a ton of cleaning too, and am pretty much past the "danger zone" that I usually start in. This 24 hours wasn't so bad!!
That's awesome, Steppeson! Like 2dayzmuse said, it just gets better. 24 hours at a time.
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-08-2005, 05:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, here I am on the third day! I'm up showered, eaten a good breakfast and on my way to the meeting in about 45 minutes! I'll let everyone know how it went when I return. Yeah, three days sober!
Old 01-08-2005, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Can't wait to hear! Well done!
Cathy31
Old 01-08-2005, 07:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Congratulations on you third day, Steppeson!! We're eagerly awaiting your news. It should be good.
—EZ
Old 01-08-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did it! I went to a meeting and it was wonderful!! Everyone there was great and I felt immediately at home. I got my Big Book and white chip too...it's hard not to wish it was red or green, but one day at a time, right?

You guys have all been wonderful...thanks for the support. I've got a 9:30 meeting tomorrow and I'm going to find one for Monday too. It's nice to know there is help out there and in here!
Old 01-08-2005, 12:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Whoo-hoo!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-08-2005, 12:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

That's right...one day at a time. Keep digging in Steppeson. There is help and hope. Most of us can't do it on our own. Thank goodness for AA. With your enthusiasim and drive, those chips will be stacking up soon. Good luck...
Old 01-09-2005, 10:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((((((((Steppeson)))))))))
Great job and congrats on the Big Book and white chip. Let us know how the 4th Day is going when you make it back from todays meeting.

Kiss Heart of Spirit and keep putting one foot in front of the other.
3 Legacy
Old 01-09-2005, 01:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3legacy
((((((((Steppeson)))))))))
Great job and congrats on the Big Book and white chip. Let us know how the 4th Day is going when you make it back from todays meeting.

Kiss Heart of Spirit and keep putting one foot in front of the other.
3 Legacy

The fourth day has gone very well. I went to a great 9:30 meeting and met some more nice folks. I then spent the day out doing some work appointments and visiting a friend I hadn't seen in awhile. I don't seem to have any withdrawal symptoms except for maybe a little increased anxiety. No cravings so far, but the weekends are always easier for me because I'm not alone much on them.

Thank you all for the support, advice, and kind words. It's making the process that much less painful