Notices

Cant Do Relationships In Recovery

Old 01-05-2005, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant Do Relationships In Recovery

Hi I am 11 years sober and have been in a relationship for 2 years with a wonderful guy. In the last 6 months he has joined NA and AA and is trying to stick to his progam and get well - a wonderful thing! Unfortunately he has decided that he can not do a relationship and has stopped the relationship which I have found unbearably painful. Does anyone out there have any ideas, strategies or helpful hints to help me through this painful time. I am attending my meetings and keeping in touch with members, but the pain is immense. I do love him enough to let him go and pray he gets well, but on the human side, its dam hard.
Any thoughts would be great.
Jennie
Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((((((((((Jennie)))))))))))
Understand the pain and its nice to hear you remain tapped into AA. My only suggestion would be for you to move to Western WA and date me...........

Only kidding! Keeping you in my prayers and if you need to talk feel free to PM me or meet me in the chatroom. Heading there now.

(((((((Jennie)))))))))
Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
3 Legacy
Old 01-05-2005, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jennie

I'm on the opposite side of the fence from you as I'm a recovering alcoholic with not much sobriety behind me yet.

I just split up with my ex fiancee (we've been together just over three years). I started AA last October and she started Al-anon just before that.

I genuinely hope that we will both be well enough to rekindle our relationship in the future, but like you for the moment it's important that we each grow as individuals.

In my case, I moved out of shared house by mutual agreement and though it's not a bundle of fun being on my own, I'm spending time constructively working my programme, speaking to my sponsor, posting here etc.

Unlike your guy, I really would love to be fully in my relationship whilst working the programme. However, I respect my ex enough to allow her the time she needs for herself.

I'm sure our HP is aware of what we pray for. Patience, genuine love and understanding are the keys here.

(((Hugs to you)))

Rich
Old 01-06-2005, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your suggestions, its so nice to talk to someone who understands. I am trying not to let him back into my head because when I do that I get the crazy thoughts, ie - texting him, writing to him, what is he doing, - its just horrible and then I get that horrid pain in my chest. I am determind this year is going to be a good one. Going back to AA and spending time with "like" people is lovely. I have also had it suggested that I go to alanon too which will help me heal. At this stage I am happy to do anything. I dont want to drink. Thats not the answer.
Jennie
Old 01-06-2005, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is there anyone from New Zealand out there who wants to chat
Old 01-06-2005, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Serenity Plus Plan

Hi jennie!

I know what you're going through. I just recently went through a divorce. It's still hard, but I can't change it, so it's time to move on.

Like you, I go to AA and that's always a big help.

I also joined a gym which has become my new addiction. It has done me no end of good.

Hang in there.

Richard