Notices

Day 5 - Never been to day 6

Old 01-01-2005, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 - Never been to day 6

Hello everybody,

I'm really struggling right now. It's been five days with no alcohol and I've run out of the anti-withdrawal/anxiety meds the doctor gave me. I need some input... Physical withdrawal should be over now, right? Still, I feel very restless and anxious. Does that go away? How long does it usually take? I'll see my therapist on 1/3 but I'm wondering if I have an anxiety problem or if withdrawal is what's bugging me.

I don't feel like I'm going to drink, actually. Resolve is very strong this time around and I've confided in friends and family. Anyway, some relaxation techniques or meditation resources or herbal teas or whatever would be appreciated.

I almost forgot... Happy New Year!

Thanks,
TJ
Old 01-01-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

TJ,

It is very normal to feel anxious. Have you been to any meetings at all? I know for someone who already feel anxious it might seem impossible, but it is so worth it. The people there will welcome you and give you support. Make sure you are eating right, and drink a lot of water. Hang in there, you can do. One day at a time, just like the rest of us!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
knucklehead

TJ, I have read the Physical withdrawal last about 3 days however I dont think you are feeling anything unusual. The addict is just letting you know it is still alive and well. It is a persistant bug. Hang in there and keep us posted. Happy new year
Old 01-01-2005, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi TJ.
All depends how much you used to drink really, among other factors.
But most people get over the worst of physical withdrawal inside a week. Usually.
The mind games we play with ourselves can go on much longer though.
Also, the absence of alcohol in our systems can make already present anxiety issues even more glaring.
So many variables...
Keep that resolve as strong as you can. At this point, believe it or not, you are your best defense against the first drink. Or your worst enemy. The choice is yours.
Seeing your therapist on Monday can only be a good thing.
Physical activity, and a lot of it, was my secret in the early going. Getting the endorphins going, my body's natural high.
Best of luck.