Notices

A quick question from someone whos trying to stop

Old 12-29-2004, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy A quick question from someone whos trying to stop

Hi, I have been drinking heavily for a long time, and I wondered if sleepless nights bothered you when you first quit? Every time i stop a day or two, i tremble through the night and i get so freaked out that i messed something up with my central nervous system or something that I end up going right back to get a good nights sleep. is this odd?
Old 12-29-2004, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's very common to have sleepness nights in the beginning. However, this too shall pass. Just hang on. Eat healthy and drink lots of water. Vitimans might help, too. Keep posting and get to know us, as we get to know you.

Sherry
Old 12-29-2004, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
new life

Fosterj9999 Welcome,
Its not odd, sleepless nights is a symtom of your body trying to re-adjust.
For the first couple of weeks of that I was exercising alot which seem to help.
Good luck.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Free Spirit

Foster,

It took me about 4 - 5 nights to get anywhere to something like a good nights sleep - I didn't sleep at all the first couple of nights.

Then when I got to sleep for a couple of nights I had very vivid and very real nightmares.

Now I sleep like a log (interesting phrase that - do logs sleep?) - I keep to the same routine every night - go to bed at the same time, drink something soothing like hot milk, take vitamin B (loads) and a multivitamin, sit up and write my day down in my diary (I do "evening questions" by Anthony Robbins) to get the weight of the day off my mind and onto paper so that doesn't keep me awake worrying, soothing classical music in the background, then I read until I fall asleep.

It is tough though, those first few days. I went cold turkey and as I said somewhere else on this site on day 12 it really hit me - I was short of breath and felt I was going to pass out - so I had to get Librium for 3 days (not a huge amount, just enough to deal with the panic attacks). I suggest that if you have been drinking heavily do come off under medical supervision because DT's can be dangerous.

I found this site when I was feeling really bad and it really helped me through the worse times - and going through the bad times (only relatively short) will convince you that you don't want to go back there again!

As I said, I am new to this site and I am sure there are a lot more experienced people who will post you advice - I'm just telling my story.

I wish you all the best; hang in there - I am so grateful to be able to spring out of bed REALLY looking forward to enjoying another day of work and challenges and stuff - and I wish that joy for you too.

Peace.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Very common, took me about 3 months, but with multi-vitamins to help with the muscle cramps, melotonin to help with getting to sleep, it was much better then drinking.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey WildSaffron, what are Anthony Robbins evening questions?
Old 12-31-2004, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Fosterj9999

It's not odd at all!

I've experienced that myself many a time. If you stick to sobriety though it does get better. In my case, I get over okay, but I waken way to early and feel very restless.

I put on earphones and listen to a relaxation CD. Usually does the trick.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Same here but after a while I find it easy and sleep really soundly, still have nighmares though.....nothing compared to waking up a drunk.

it gets better indigo