Notices

help

Old 12-28-2004, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help

I have been in recovery before, but right after I had my son, well a few months after, I started to drink again. I am now drinking every night. At least a 12 pack. It has consumed my life. I dont know what to do but I feel like AA didnt work for me and I am at a loss. It is only at night when i drink. I go all day saying not tonight, I am not going to drink tonight, but I end up drinking. I drink to forget, I drink out of stress, I will make a reason to drink. I just really need friends and guidance right now.

Thanks,

Joanna
Old 12-28-2004, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Joanna,

This is a great site for support. There are alot of wonderful people here. You say that AA didn't seem to work for you. How long were you going for? Did you get a sponsor? Did you have a home group? I know that AA has saved my life. I have found a new family there. I have so many people I can call when things get me down. I am active in my home group. I have a sponsor who works through the steps with me. I would recommend giving it another shot. This site is a great asset to my toolbox. Read around and get to know us.

Sherry
Old 12-28-2004, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for getting back to me. i was in and out for over a year and only got a few months together. I did have a home group and a sponsor but it was like being in High School. I dont think I have the faith in myself, maybe that is why I am so down on it.

Thanks,
Joanne
Old 12-28-2004, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Joanna and welcome!
You will find a great deal of support here. There are several options for recovery, just fine one that works for you as most of us can't do this alone. We're glad your here!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
--Now!

Posting on this site is a great substitute for drinking at night. It's fun, it's social, and you're talking to a lot of really great people. Hope to see you here.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you all for your support. NOW I think that is a great idea. Substitute that drink for a nice night of making friends. I will be here tonight,hope to get to know all of you.

Joanne
Old 12-29-2004, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Serenity Plus Plan

Hi Joanne and welcome to Sober Recovery!

Now's idea is great. I've spent so much time on this site and it has helped me stay sober.

Take care of yourself by eating properly, drinking water, taking vitamins and exercising if you can. Going to the gym has done me no end of good.

Stick around!

Richard
Old 12-29-2004, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Welcome Joanna. :hello2 I sorta "saw" you in chat for maybe a second, but I hope to get to know you better. Everyone's right this is a great site and you'll find a lot of support here. I'm on here almost daily and I've met some wonderful people.

Later!
Danielle
Old 12-29-2004, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Joanna,

I just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. About the thing you said about not having faith in yourself, I don't think many of us did in the beginning. That's where my Higher Power came in to play. I had faith in him, and it grew into having faith in myself. Take care, and stick around. NOW does have a good point. Come here and post rather than picking up that drink. Many of us have done that.

Sherry
Old 12-29-2004, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi

Well today is my first day here,but if you ever need to talk to someone ill do my best to help you and maybe you can help me.Im not sure how this all works,but i figure the more people helping is always good.Anyways good luck and i know we can do it, alone together and with the help of these wonderful folks
Old 12-29-2004, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Joanna,

Hope all is well with you today. Just take one day at a time.

ChrisMan
Old 12-29-2004, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi there Joanne,

I'm new here myself. How are things going for you tonight? I read that you were having a hard time in the evenings. I hope you're feeling okay and not being too hard on yourself if you are still drinking.

Good luck and please keep posting to let us know how you're doing.

TJ
Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Joanne
Welcome to SR.
looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

HI Joanne,

I am a mother of two and have found myself in very similar situations ie. not today, not tonight etc.......but I always did. I havent had a drink in a few weeks now......stuffed up a couple of weeks ago at my office Xmas party ...I had 3 glasses of champagne.......shame on me! but I dusted myself off and trying again ............

The chat site is a great idea, I suggest it to people often but maybe because of our time difference i can't get many takers.

anyhow, hope to talk to you soon

Luv & Hugs

Basi
Old 12-30-2004, 07:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. I just joined yesterday but already i can see there are a TON of nice people on here willing to help each other, its very comforting. I never realized how many people were trying to overcome addictions.

And i do the same thing you mentioned. I wake up in the morning telling myself im not going to get high today. I sit all day at work telling myself im not going to get high today. Then im home for no more than an hour and i cant wait to get high. Im determined to beat it this time and i think staying focused on the goal is half the battle.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!! If you don't have faith in staying sober, just know that we have faith in you to do so. I didn't think NA would work for me either, but I found out that using DEFFINATELY didn't work for me, so I had to try something different. I've seen 1,000's of people with my own eyes stay clean through the 12th step fellowships that gave me hope that I could too. But, again it wasn't until I was completely ready, willing and open-minded to try something different. So, if the fellowships don't work for you, I hope you do find something that does. Posting on here is a great start.