SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekenders- Forgiving Ourselves this Weekend, 15-18 March 2024 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/464656-weekenders-forgiving-ourselves-weekend-15-18-march-2024-a.html)

Mags1 03-13-2024 08:52 PM

Weekenders- Forgiving Ourselves this Weekend, 15-18 March 2024

Weekenders- Forgiving Ourselves this Weekend, 15-18 March 2024

https://i.postimg.cc/bNYVWqTX/FB700-...EBF75-E4-E.jpg

Welcome to the Weekenders

Forgiving Ourselves……I always find that very hard to do, much harder than forgiving other people in my life.

https://i.postimg.cc/RVJc8qqV/A3-A48...672020-E26.jpg

I read a topic on forgiving yourself and I found a paragraph which I found interesting.

“To release that part of your past that you need to forgive, it’s helpful to remember that we’re all doing the best we can in any moment.

If you had known that your action would cause pain to others or yourself, you probably wouldn’t have done it, right?

And even if you knew that you were causing damage at the time, you had no idea how much you would regret it in the future.

Retain what you learned from the event but release everything else”.

It went on to say,

“Appreciate your missteps for what they are—a stepping stone on your path”.

I know I’m my worst critic, I find it very hard to forgive myself.

This weekend, can we be forgiving to ourselves as much as we are to others and enjoy our Sober weekend?

https://i.postimg.cc/zBfhkG9N/21762-...F9-B5-E570.jpg

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!) :)

Dee74 03-13-2024 08:55 PM

Good topic: :tyou Mags :)

For me forgiving myself was letting go of another longterm behaviour that made it easier for me to drink - endlessly beating my self up.

D

Pekelover2 03-13-2024 09:35 PM

Thanks Mags!

least 03-13-2024 09:36 PM

I'll call shotgun, since I just happen to be right here, right now. :)

I've always had a hard time forgiving myself. Finally became able to forgive myself except for one thing, one action I took a long time ago that still haunts me and makes me feel like dirt... :(

Mags1 03-13-2024 09:38 PM

Congratulations on shotgun Least! :You_Rock_

Hiya Peke, good to see you :wavey:

Thanks Dee!:tyou

Pekelover2 03-13-2024 10:01 PM

“ Retain what you learned from the event but release everything else”.

Love this ^

Airport restaurant was full of ppl drinkinng at 8:30 am. Luckily we were not them..
Landed safely in New Orleans. Lovely dinner. This evening. Excited for the WWll museum tomorrow and family coming in too.
Night.

Mags1 03-13-2024 10:35 PM

Sounds great Peke! Enjoy. :)

least 03-13-2024 10:35 PM

Billie is tired after our 3 walks today. We walked almost 1.75 miles. :) I'm hoping the daily walking will get rid of her extra 1.5 lbs. Once she gets back to 20 lbs, I will keep her there by giving less food and lots of walks. :) My goal is for her to live a long, happy, healthy life. :hug:

Robbie64 03-13-2024 11:47 PM

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for another sober weekend!

saoutchik 03-14-2024 12:03 AM

Staying sober this weekend.

Thank you for another thought-provoking intro Mags. I have not been able to forgive myself for carrying on drinking when it was damaging my relationships with those closest to me but I have done my best to acknowledge and make amends since I got sober so I no longer beat myself up every day. I guess I will always have an element of regret, that's just the way it is.

Mags1 03-14-2024 12:50 AM

Hiya Robbie good to see you :wave:

Hiya Saou, :wave: Hope the underground tanoid has a different choice of animal speaking today.

PhoenixJ 03-14-2024 01:28 AM

I gots a LONG way to go before I self forgive, but I'm working on it.

Thanks Mags.

DeplorableDog 03-14-2024 01:54 AM

One of the first steps to forgiving yourself is to stop worrying so much of what others think of you. Yes we have hurt people in our lives but you cannot make them forgive you. Apologize and move on. I personally feel having a major occurrence in life can help that. I have epilepsy. I had brain surgery for it in 2001 and it was like a switch flipped when that happened. Prior to that I was always worried about what others thought of me. I was bothered by everyone who I felt didn't I Iike me including my father in law. After surgery when I was seizure free for six months, able to drive again I changed to one who didn't give a North end of a southbound mule what others thought of me. I even told my father in law one day finally that I didn't give a rats bottom if he liked me or not, at least I've never hit my wife. And if you want to get forgiveness for all the family trouble you caused with drinking, step one is to stay quit. Each time you drink your quit has to start over. Each time you drink the forgiveness from your family has to start over. Stay quit if you ever want any hope of being forgiven.

RunnerF 03-14-2024 02:02 AM

In for weekend. Pledging for today. Day 528.

Hodd 03-14-2024 02:16 AM

If you had known that your action would cause pain to others or yourself, you probably wouldn’t have done it, right?
Ouch! I have some unfinished business there, mags.

I reckon my ex-wife married a nasty drunk and divorced a nice guy. I need to tell her that amongst other things. Now I’m in another albeit on/off relationship, I don’t have such negativity, and it baffles me why I was so uncaring back then. Yes, I can be and am a nicer person now, but it’s not a feeling that’s going to go away for a long time.

Pekelover2 03-14-2024 04:44 AM

In for the week end. Pledging for today. It’s day 63.

Mags1 03-14-2024 05:29 AM

Good to see you DD, Hodd, PJ, Runner and Peke. :wave:

Runner congratulations on day 528 :You_Rock_

Peke congratulations on day 63 :You_Rock_

biminiblue 03-14-2024 05:57 AM

I'm glad the men in the thread are admitting to regrets...That's a pretty big deal and thanks for that. I'll take your regrets and try to heal some of my own pain from past relationships - I won't get that from them.

There are a couple people out there who I have hurt as well.

As far as parents, crikey. There should be a required two year course to qualify humans to have a baby. Then they should be required to do re-certifications every year, and when the kid is nine, the kid should get classes on being a kinder human. We're really bad at the whole family thing. I know it's not just me.

Yeah, there, I've fixed "Us" :lol:

MLD51 03-14-2024 06:03 AM

I'm IN for another sober weekend. Thanks, Mags.

I don't think I'll ever fully forgive myself. I'm GREAT at beating myself up. I do less of that these days, but every so often a particularly painful memory will pop up and I get pretty down. I did some truly regrettable things while I was drinking, and I'm lucky as heck I have the life and relationships I do today. For example, my man friend put up with an awful lot over the years, and there were times he didn't speak to me. But now we are closer than ever. It took time and me demonstrating over and over that I have changed my behaviors significantly. I think my relationship with my kids is pretty good. I probably feel the worst about my kids - I never actually neglected them, they were always taken care of physically, but they have emotional scars, I am sure. UGH. But all I can do now is continue to be the mom I wish I had been all along. At least my granddaughter will never see me drunk.

Mummyto2 03-14-2024 06:09 AM

I need to work on forgiveness as I find it hard but Rome weren't built in a day, have a nice weekend everyone