SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   That was repulsive (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/464325-repulsive.html)

fishkiller 01-31-2024 06:46 AM

That was repulsive

My wife made homemade vanilla ice cream a couple days ago following a recipe online.

Last night she brings me a bit in a small bowl.
One bite and I was like WTH!
That was disgusting. Tasted like liquor.
Well upon further investigation one of the ingredients, vanilla extract, is 40% alcohol.

I knew it had alcohol but wasn't aware it was so much and did not think such a small amount would even be noticeable.
WRONG
Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to it but man that was gross.

Vanilla paste it will be next time.

Just a heads up in case yall bake or decide to make some vanilla ice cream.

DriGuy 01-31-2024 07:07 AM

I use imitation. I actually like it better. I don't know the alcohol content, because it's not listed on the bottle.

Does imitation vanilla extract have alcohol?

Most extracts, be them imitation or pure, contain some level of alcohol. The alcohol is used to help extract the vanilla flavoring from the beans. Pure vanilla extract must have at least 35% alcohol content by volume. Imitation vanilla often contains less, sometimes as little as 2% alcohol.

For a truly alcohol-free vanilla, look for extracts that say “alcohol free” on the bottle, or try vanilla flavoring instead, which may not contain any alcohol.

DriGuy 01-31-2024 07:16 AM

My wife used to make this dynamite French onion soup. After our divorce, I asked her for the recipe. I was new to sobriety and the directions called for a good amount of wine. I passed. She did make the best French onion soup I've ever had. I still miss it. But I can live without it. I know that cooking with wine is supposed to evaporate the alcohol, but as a matter of principle, even after all these years, I still don't go there.

KneePads 01-31-2024 07:42 AM

Wow, the thought of ice cream ever being yuck has surprised me! 😁 Doesn’t vanilla paste have any alcohol in it then?
Dri, I’m craving onion soup now!! Not had that in years! Not sure where I’ll be able to pick up some dynamite though… 😉

Oglsby 01-31-2024 08:06 AM

I really like the flavoring and it doesn't bother me alcohol-wise, but I remember as a teenager taking a sip out of the little bottle because I heard it had alcohol in it and was shocked at how gross it was. I will say, though, I'm very particular and only like a hint of it. Too much of it reminds me of straight liquor too (but still doesn't trigger me).

DeplorableDog 01-31-2024 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by fishkiller (Post 8021549)
Well upon further investigation one of the ingredients, vanilla extract, is 40% alcohol.

So, are you telling us this is your new day one???? ;)

Just kidding

biminiblue 01-31-2024 08:42 AM

Try making it with vanilla protein powder. Delicious - and you get that extra protein boost which also makes me more full on less.

KneePads 01-31-2024 08:53 AM

40% is pretty much the same as vodka and whiskey..? Isn’t it? Vanilla vodka in disguise.

FiveTries 01-31-2024 09:38 AM

When I was a kid around 11 or 12 I used to drink vanilla extract and cokes. Yeah, not something I'm proud of but it confirms the unhealthy relationship I had with alcohol from the beginning. That stuff is strong!

fishkiller 01-31-2024 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by KneePads (Post 8021558)
Wow, the thought of ice cream ever being yuck has surprised me! 😁 Doesn’t vanilla paste have any alcohol in it then?
Dri, I’m craving onion soup now!! Not had that in years! Not sure where I’ll be able to pick up some dynamite though… 😉

No kidding! I love vanilla ice cream normally

fishkiller 01-31-2024 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by DeplorableDog (Post 8021564)
So, are you telling us this is your new day one???? ;)

Just kidding

Technically I didn't "drink". So I'm keeping my 4 years😁

fishkiller 01-31-2024 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Oglsby (Post 8021561)
I really like the flavoring and it doesn't bother me alcohol-wise, but I remember as a teenager taking a sip out of the little bottle because I heard it had alcohol in it and was shocked at how gross it was. I will say, though, I'm very particular and only like a hint of it. Too much of it reminds me of straight liquor too (but still doesn't trigger me).

Yeah no trigger here. Actually the opposite.
Not even a hole teaspoon full and it had me coughing my head off.

fishkiller 01-31-2024 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 8021568)
Try making it with vanilla protein powder. Delicious - and you get that extra protein boost which also makes me more full on less.

Thanks bim I hadn't heard of the protein powder!
I saw the paste which is made with sugar instead of alcohol from what I've read.

fishkiller 01-31-2024 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by KneePads (Post 8021571)
40% is pretty much the same as vodka and whiskey..? Isn’t it? Vanilla vodka in disguise.

Upon further investigation it is made with 80 proof vodka or rum.
Apparently it has to be soaked in liquor to get the extract out the bean🤢

fishkiller 01-31-2024 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by FiveTries (Post 8021581)
When I was a kid around 11 or 12 I used to drink vanilla extract and cokes. Yeah, not something I'm proud of but it confirms the unhealthy relationship I had with alcohol from the beginning. That stuff is strong!

Had I known when I was younger I'd of done the same.
I was hooked after my first buzz.
Around the same age.
"luckily", not, my Dad kept liquor in the house which I would drink and replace with water or tea depending on color.
Yeah I got caught. No it didn't stop me.

KneePads 01-31-2024 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by fishkiller (Post 8021592)
Upon further investigation it is made with 80 proof vodka or rum.
Apparently it has to be soaked in liquor to get the extract out the bean🤢

WOAH! Flammable icecream.

KneePads 01-31-2024 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by fishkiller (Post 8021593)

Fish, this just made me laugh out loud!! I can sooo relate!! 🤣🤣🤣

Dee74 01-31-2024 12:30 PM

Yeah I drank vanilla essence once when nothing else was available. It made me sick - no not recommend.
Good call FK.

D

samwitch 01-31-2024 12:31 PM

Huh, I didn't know that either, but I use it in baking all the time and never noticed it but maybe ice cream is a different beast since there isn't a heating process to remove the alcohol.

I wonder it store bought ice cream has it, just less.

Oglsby 01-31-2024 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by fishkiller (Post 8021593)
Had I known when I was younger I'd of done the same.
I was hooked after my first buzz.
Around the same age.
"luckily", not, my Dad kept liquor in the house which I would drink and replace with water or tea depending on color.

They were common in the South. Coca-Cola used to make a Vanilla Coke. Not sure if they still do?