Notices

Holidays: Good or Bad????

Old 12-21-2004, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Holidays: Good or Bad????

For most of my life, prior to sobriety, Holidays for as far back as I could remember were HORRIBLE.

Why??

Very simple, everyone of them ended up with fighting all around me.

My first few sober Holidays in sobriety were hard for me, I stuck very close to people I had come to know that were sober and clean.

As my head cleared, and "my perspective" of things began to change I realized that everyone of those bad memories, whether it was for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter, Memorial Day. 4th of July, or Labor Day, were all due to ALCOHOL. Yep, I came from a drinking family roflmao.

So in sobriety with my "new perspective" I made new memories. I started having "open houses" on Thanksgiving and Christmas for those that were alone or far from their families. I have helped and continue to help out at the Resuce Mission in whatever towns I have lived in.

Today 23 1/2 years into sobriety I have some of the best dang memories anyone could ever want.

Those early years I spent in "Alkathons" (one meeting after another) and went to "open houses" others who were sober and clean were having.

Even though I am disabled now, some of the people I have and do sponsor will be coming to help me have my "Open House" again on Christmas, and I guarantee you, it will once again be a wonderful time, lol.

Enjoy your Holidays! If in the past they created bad memories, well.........then create some new ones!!!!! Today, sober and clean we have that choice.

JMHO

Wishing you all the very best Holiday Season You Have Ever Had!!!!!

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 12-21-2004, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Merry
Christmas!
Thanks for sharing, Laurie L.!
Peace, love, and hugs,
Eddie
:xmasp :xmasf :xmasp
Old 12-21-2004, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Hey neighbor, thanks for sharing! Creating new memories is high on my priority list. *hugs*. We're gonna have to do a meeting sometime!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for reminding me what the holidays should be about Laurie. I now know that its NOT normal to wake up on December 26th wondering why the heck you're laying under the Christmas tree. :-P
Old 12-21-2004, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Laurie,

I'll be visiting your home in spirit. We are having a large family gathering at our home. Not expecting any arguments or fights. No drinking no drugging. The holidays can be a truly wonderful thing, changing our own perspective. Getting back to the core of what the holidays really are and getting into that loving and giving mode. It's a beautiful thing, just when I think I have it bad, I open my eyes and see so much worse. Makes me feel, my petty issues or problems aren't that big. Especially when looking at true human suffering - not just the mental/emotional crap, don't get me wrong, that's heck too, but people who are socially, physically, whatever suffering. To be able to hold a door for someone, to be able to let a car waiting to get out of a packed parking lot out in front of me, to give what little spare money we have to charity, to teach our children what giving is, to volunteer to help, that's the holidays for me. I need to remind myself of that while I'm cursing out the person in front of me that didn't start writing their darn check out 5 people ago while they were waiting in line, or the impatient people passing me, or the ones that cut me off. I try to look upwards and say "Thank you God, for all my blessings (added sometimes with "Thy will be done, not mine")". (Sometimes I gotta tack a resentment prayer on there too!!! LOL. Sobriety is phenomenol. Life is one gift after another. Miracles unfold before us everyday - how often do I notice them though. God-thing. God-consciousness. AA has given me spirituality - introduced me to a loving and caring God. I am so thankful. I am so thankful there's room for love in my heart. I remember when there wasn't. Thanks Laurie. Have a beautiful holiday season, I'll be thinking about you and the rest of my wonderful friends I've met here at SR. I'll be thinking of all my AA family. I'll be saying prayers for those who haven't been nearly as blessed as I, and are struggling with their burdens.

God bless all,
Happy Holidays!
Love,
Jen
Old 12-21-2004, 11:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

inspiring message

thanks. now that my parents are dead...both of them recently,,,I dont have to go do the insane drunk christmas...people jumping out of cars, people slapping each other,,,,Geez , what a releif.

so many changes in so little time, its like a roller coaster
but at least i can be dysfunction in my own head without having to worry about everyone elses nightmare

although, I do have nightmares everynight about my parents fighting
It kind of puts a dark note on the day when you wake up remembering the nighmares. wish they would go away

sorry you are disabled,,,God Bless you,,,,people with health have so much to be thankful for.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am dreading these holidays. My whole family are big drinkers and are even more so around xmas / new years so I know it will be hard for me. I'm starting to feel very anxious about it all.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

As my head cleared, and "my perspective" of things began to change I realized that everyone of those bad memories, whether it was for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter, Memorial Day. 4th of July, or Labor Day, were all due to ALCOHOL. Yep, I came from a drinking family roflmao.
Oh goodness, another person reading my mind.

I always had this wish for a "Walton family Christmas" and it always ended up as a "Walton family hangover".

Thanks Laurie and Merry Sober Christmas to everyone.

One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless
Old 12-22-2004, 04:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On The Bus

To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by natsta
I am dreading these holidays. My whole family are big drinkers and are even more so around xmas / new years so I know it will be hard for me. I'm starting to feel very anxious about it all.
Always leave yourself a way out. If you go to support meetings, tell a friend how you feel and ask for help. Grab some telephone numbers and call if you are feeling under pressure. Excuse yourself and go to a meeting. I used to feel exactly as you do. Sometimes I thought I was helpless and that external happenings were supposed to CONTROL ME. That is not so anymore. I do what is right for me.

Be especially good to yourself this time of year because as human beings we all deserve to be treated with kindness and respect.

The holidays have become such a drag to me and what they have become that I am seriously considering building a homemade Nativity scene and putting it out on my front lawn.

To me the true meaning of Christmas is trying to help others, on a daily basis.

Good luck and remember however crazy it gets you do not have to drink or drug over it.

And finally remember we are all spiritual beings that are trying to learn how to be human.