Notices

1st Sober Christmas In Years

Old 12-21-2004, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st Sober Christmas In Years

Hello Everyone, This Will Be My First Christmas In A Sober State Of Mind In A Very Long Time. I've Come Back To The Aa Fellowship After Numerous Attempts At Controlled Drinking And Other Methods, Too Many To Mention. I've Been Sober Now For 8 Months, A Record For Me.

I Don't Really Feel I'm Qualified To Give Advice On How To Stay Sober. Because 26 Years Of Drinking Vs. 8 Months Of Sobriety Is Just A Drop In The Bucket. I HAVE TO BE REALISTIC. However, There Are A Few Things/activities I Will Embark Upon To Ensure I Don't "go Back Out There" Over The Holidays.

1. Do Some Service Work Like Phone Watch.
2. Attend Alcothons If There Is One In Your Area.
3. Hang Around Aa's Or Just Go To A Meeting If The Urge To Drink Hits You. Or Call The Aa Hotline.

These Are Just Some Of The Things I'll Do To Make It Thru During A Time That Can Be Hard, I Imagine On An Oldtimer As Well.

Good Luck To You All And May God Bless You, One Day At A Time.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome Taylor ! 8 months is great !
Old 12-21-2004, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

Congratulations on the 8 months Taylor, and thanks for the suggestions. Having a sound plan is a big help, as is telling people about. Alcathons are cool, I hit them every year, and just sit thru meeting after meeting. I usually chair the very late, early hour meetings as well...so theres always a table open for anybody who needs or wants one.

I'm glad you posted, and welcome!

Old 12-21-2004, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Taylor, glad for you and your 8 months. Merry Xmas
Old 12-21-2004, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Congratulations and Merry Sober Christmas to you, Taylor. This will be my third sober Christmas after an unbroken string of twenty-five drunk ones.
And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?
It came without Bourbon! It came without Beer!
"It came without Champagne, Chardonay or Merlot!"
And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a bottle.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"
(With apologies to Dr. Suess) One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless
Old 12-21-2004, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Taylor,welcome to soberrecovery and congradulations on 8 months.Looks like you gave some pretty good advice in my opinion.Service work is very important.The alcothons are cool too.I also enjoy the AA/NA activities.Camp-outs,picnics,dances etc.The conventions and round-ups are a blast too.This year I am going to an AA New Years round-up in Seaside,Oregon.I went last year and it was great.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome back. If we shot our wounded, This would b a deserted place. I'm celebrating 6 Christmas' sober. I've blown off a lot of family get togethers. My cousin e-mailed me to make sure to come to his mother's cause he'll b in from Africa. It's nothing any one has done. It got where I had to have a buzz to b with my family or any where for that matter. Not any more, life is good.

Welcome home

Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((((((TaylorE))))))))))
Just love the suggestions for the Holidays. Spent my first Christmas at Alcathons as my family really did not want me around. I had 11 months sober and was so grateful folks who had been restored to somewhat normal family lives etc... would take the time to make sure drunks like me had a place to go and people to be with during the somewhat tough times of year like that. These days I participate in much of what you have suggested and I also pick up the telephone and call folks watching phone lines in other parts of the country to thank them for being of service. They saved my life on a few occassions by being there for the still suffering alcoholic. Found a few oldtimers suffering by not being able to get out to the gatherings during these times as well and what a joy to taxi them to gatherings of others just like us.

((((((((((TaylorE & SR A-Z #'s included)))))))))))) It sure is a wonderful WE thing and such an amazing great thing WE have been given.

3 Legacy
Old 12-22-2004, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Taylor. Those are good suggestions, indeed. I will be going to a meeting Christmas morning. There is also New Years right behind it. I have a plan for that one, too. Intergroup is hosting a dance, and I will be doing some service work there. Keep coming here, and posting. Have a great day.

Sherry