Notices

Can I get some opinions?

Old 12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I get some opinions?

Hello,

I am new to the forums. I am currently a member of OA. I really have more then 1 addiction, though. I never went to AA, but I am an alcoholic, even though I have been dry for years. After I quit drinking, I turned to food. I am interested in working a 12 step program, but the group I am in doesn't really work on the steps, you have to find a sponsor. I don't mind getting a sponsor, I think it would be more beneficial to me if I had a formal meeting and agenda to work with (like a group that actually studies the 12 steps in the group). A few people I have talked to have said that it is easier to find a step group in AA, than OA, because there are many more groups. I don't have a problem joining AA, but I don't want to offend the members. Does anybody have any opinions whether or not it would be appropriate for me to join AA, or does anybody have any suggestions about another approach.

Thank You Very Much
Renee
Old 12-21-2004, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Hi Renee and welcome -

What I have learned from being a part of this forum is that different area's have different types of meetings. Where I live I would suggest that you attend an open AA meeting rather than a closed one. I am an addict/alcohalic and I have been asked at closed meetings not to introduce myself as an Addict at all, but at open meetings it is okay.
why don't you get an AA schedule for your area and check it out. Try and open meeting.
And YES I absolutely agree that working the steps is the key and you need to work them with a sponsor, someone who has already done them.
It is unfortunate that you cannot get an OA sponsor. but I agree with trading one addiction for another, been there myself.

good luck to you. And stick around here, this is a great place for friendship and support. And we have a great Eating disorders forum here too, feel free to take a look at get to know others.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Renee,

You said in your post that you are an alcoholic. You are more than appropriate to join aa. You say you have been dry, and joining a step group and finding a sponsor will help you to grow along spiritual lines. This is a great place to come for support. I hope you stick around and get to know us.

Sherry
Old 12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Paulie and Sherry,

You have both made me feel welcome already. I will probably be talking to each of you again.

Thanks,
Renee
Old 12-21-2004, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Renee,

I am on my way to a meeting now, but am on here in the afternoon and then at night. Feel free to pm me any time. Good luck and God bless.

Sherry
Old 12-21-2004, 09:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Renee,
I go to OA, NA, AA, and Al-Anon! AA has a wonderful pamphlet called Problems Other Than Alcohol that you should read. Like Paulie said, try an open meeting and introduce yourself just as an alcoholic. And DO join us on the Eating Disorders forum!

Peace, love, and hugs,
Eddie, compulsive overeater, addict, and alcoholic
Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Renee,

As far as AA goes, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." Sounds like you have a desire, check it out, what do you have to lose?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Renee,welcome to Soberrecovery.And what jlo said,"the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking" As for AA step study meetings in Denver,heres what I found http://www.daccaa.org/query.asp
Old 01-09-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Renee,
If we limited our AA home group meetings to people who only suffer from alcoholism there might be two or three members. Can't help but echo what the others here have said. And when you go to AA, mention you are a member of OA, because you just don't know who might need a little help getting a grip on dealing with their own food issues.
How are you doing?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Renee!

I can't really add to everyone else's stuff.

If you have a "desire to stop drinking," you are more than welcome at any AA meeting, open or closed.

I would wholeheartedly recommend working the 12 steps and digging into the Big Book (I don't believe you can work the steps without it).

Ken