SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Welcome to Weekenders 01 - 04 September 2023 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/463353-welcome-weekenders-01-04-september-2023-a.html)

Mags1 08-30-2023 09:46 PM

Welcome to Weekenders 01 - 04 September 2023

Welcome to Weekenders 01 - 04 September 2023

https://i.postimg.cc/mrC16Qp7/3044-F...B4529-A107.jpg

Before I got sober I wanted to be a normal drinker, but found it wasn’t an option for me.

I didn’t know when to stop. No ‘OFF’ button it seemed.

I knew the only way was to stop completely.

Gosh, I remember those thoughts which were thrilling and terrifying too!

How would I achieve it? There must be a way?

I searched the internet and found SR(SoberRecovery site).

Here I read how people like me had sobriety and stayed sober....and happy.

Well I wanted some of that. Would it work for me?

I’d been a hardened drinker (not proud)

Could someone liked me do it..get sober forever?

The answer is Yes! It’s possible and within reach.

Being sober and staying sober was the greatest achievement of my life. Sobriety brings many opportunities.

Anyone can do this and maintain it. I know it is possible, it’s within reach of all of us.

If your doubting yourself, remember why you want to get sober. I can relate to the following words.

“I drank for happiness and became unhappy.

I drank for joy and became miserable.

I drank for sociability and became argumentative.

I drank for sophistication and became obnoxious.

I drank for friendship and made enemies.

I drank for sleep and woke up tired.

I drank for relaxation and got the shakes.

I drank for courage and became afraid.

I drank for confidence and became doubtful.

I drank to make conversation easy and slurred my speech.

And I drank to feel heavenly and ended up feeling like Hell.”

Author Unknown

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!) :)

https://i.postimg.cc/Wz3BYR5f/7-B688...D510-CE245.jpg

Dee74 08-30-2023 09:51 PM

:tyou Mags

D

Lily76 08-30-2023 10:42 PM

Shot Gun
Good Morning Everyone i hope you are all doing well
Got up early this Morning did some meditation and made myself a coffee
looking forward to the day ahead, got yoga then the drop in I go to

Dee74 08-30-2023 10:49 PM

have a good day Lily :)

D

theVman31 08-30-2023 10:53 PM

Thanks Mags.... hi Dee, hi Lily !!!

It's like the saying one drink is too many but 10 is never enough.... that was me oh yes no 《off》 switch. I think i get that way for everything even looking at this mobile phone becomes an addiction... some kind of ocd i dont know.

Blimey it's almost September... enjoy the last sober day of August 2023 weekenders :banana:

least 08-30-2023 11:01 PM

Count me in for another sober weekend. :) I'm tired and want to go to bed early but the itching started up this afternoon again. Not just my scalp, but all over my back cause the dermatologist applied several patches to my back - don't know what for - and I had an appt for Thursday for her to take the patches off and ?? :dunno: But it's either the patch itself, or the medical tape used, is making my back itch terribly. Since they cancelled my Thursday appt, I have to call in the morning to get an appt asap to remove these itchy patches. :( I took my evening allergy meds an hour ago but no relief yet. :(

I am frustrated because altho this is not a life or death problem, it is very annoying that I can't lie down and go to sleep cause I'm itching so much. :(

calmself 08-30-2023 11:01 PM

Amazing words,Mags. Shotgun! Good night from cool Seattle.

Lily76 08-30-2023 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 7968816)
Thanks Mags.... . I think i get that way for everything even looking at this mobile phone becomes an addiction... some kind of ocd i dont know.

as someone with OCD it can be really hard to breakout of doing obsessions and Conplusions

Mags1 08-30-2023 11:11 PM

Good to see you Vinny, Least Calmself and Lily76 :wave:

Lily, I have OCD also. I understand the difficulties.

PhoenixJ 08-31-2023 12:44 AM

I am in.
Because if I went back to drinking, I wouldn't nearly die after being revived three times, no, next time I would die

Mags1 08-31-2023 01:21 AM

PJ, I feel that way too if I ever drank again. Glad you got out of its clutches. :yup:

DeplorableDog 08-31-2023 02:10 AM

I am in. By the time this holiday weekend is over I will be at two months.

theVman31 08-31-2023 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by DeplorableDog (Post 7968854)
I am in. By the time this holiday weekend is over I will be at two months.

Well done D Dog

RunnerF 08-31-2023 03:05 AM

In for the weekend. Mags1 the introduction describes everything I have felt especially towards the end of my addiction. Thanks again for all you do and your support for all here.

Pledging for today. Day 333. Missed counted yesterday.

Mysteryman 08-31-2023 03:23 AM

Good words!
Count me in.
Im on day 10 and Im trying to take it one day at a time. I feel like I'm managing not to drink, but I keep having racing thoughts about the future. I want to live an honest life and achieve something. To be able to support my family properly in every way, and to be a good person. Ive never been good making long term plans, but I need to.
I just hope I can fulfil my potential and make people proud of me.

Free2bme888 08-31-2023 03:26 AM

Cool,# Runner F

Thanks Mags, welcome, lily

Hello Vman

Same here, PJ. I’ve used up my nine lives.

Congrats on almost two months DD. ODAAT

least, it sounds frustrating. Hope you find relief

STDragon 08-31-2023 03:41 AM

I could never understand how "Normal" drinkers could nurse a drink all evening, or prefer light beer, or have just one, or even leave with their drink unfinished! I suppose I never will. I suppose it was my addiction telling me those people were where weird. I guess they'd look at me and wonder how I could pack away so much.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support this past week. I've had a boost in confidence over my playing abilities. Last night I signed up for the fall session with my regular instructor.

I can hardly believe that we are at the end of August already. I really really don't want to see any snow Oooo, it's a long weekend coming up, yay!

fishkiller 08-31-2023 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mysteryman (Post 7968862)
Good words!
Count me in.
Im on day 10 and Im trying to take it one day at a time. I feel like I'm managing not to drink, but I keep having racing thoughts about the future. I want to live an honest life and achieve something. To be able to support my family properly in every way, and to be a good person. Ive never been good making long term plans, but I need to.
I just hope I can fulfil my potential and make people proud of me.

Good Work on Day10!

I feel you on the racing thoughts. Wanting everything fixed now. Wanting to guarantee my future as a sober person. As a reliable person.
It was very stressful.
I advise you to use that energy on building a sober life now. Not worrying about the future. Very hard to do in the beginning I know but it really does help ease the mind when we focus on now and not what may or may not be. What we think we will be.

Just keep working on Who you want to be and it Will happen. Believe that and there is no need to worry.

Look around at all the beautiful folks on this site who were EXACTLY where you are now but have made it to the other side. The side you want to be on. They are proof it is 100% doable.
If we did it you can too.

Oglsby 08-31-2023 06:54 AM

Count me in, and happy early weekend, everyone!

Offthemast 08-31-2023 07:46 AM

Good stuff.

I drank for entertainment and got boredom. I drank to feel better and got sickness.