SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Holiday (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/463242-holiday.html)

whitehorses 08-12-2023 03:25 PM

Holiday

On holiday at the moment and spending time with people in hotel lounge in evening's who are drinking...not been tempted,but have been offered alcohol, I'm drinking still water with lemon slices... surprised how many people are puzzled by this.

Dee74 08-12-2023 04:11 PM

Hi Whitehorses :)

Are you on holidays with friends?

It might be my advancing age :eek5: or the fact I've been a non-drinker for a long time now, but very few people ask me if I want to drink these days... it's generally only people who don't know me?

D

FreeOwl 08-12-2023 04:15 PM

Keep it sober, Whitehorses!

VikingGF 08-12-2023 04:41 PM

Great job, whitehorses. People don't care what's in my glass anymore- none of their dang business anyway, right? You keep being awesome.

Zencat 08-12-2023 04:53 PM

Enjoy your water and lemon slice drink Whitehorses. Good on you for posting about the mood you are in. Let people be puzzled by your not drinking. Let them be them and you be true to your sober self.

least 08-12-2023 06:59 PM

If I'm at a social gathering and have my water with lemon/lime, whatever, if anyone asks me if I want a drink, I just show them my glass and say, no thank you, I've already got one, but thanks for asking. :) That usually keeps the nosey ones from asking further.

Itsbeentoolong 08-12-2023 07:27 PM

Enjoy that water and pay no heed to others’ befuddlement at your choices. I know what you’re talking about, upper Midwest drinking culture is strong. Responses to my just asking for a seltzer include suspicion, amusement, disappointment (from waitstaff).

You don’t sound like you need it, but good luck staying as strong as you’ve been

brighterday1234 08-13-2023 12:22 AM

Stay sober. Alcohol is misery and death for an alcoholic 🙏

Hodd 08-13-2023 01:27 AM

It’ll be one of the best and most relaxing holiday ever, whitehorses. We’ve all wasted so many holidays by spending evenings drinking and nursing hangovers the next day. We’ve risen above that now. Extra credit to you for resisting in a potentially triggering situation. Time to think about what’s next after the hols? Maybe meeting up with others who don’t or rarely drink? Much more fun I promise you.

fishkiller 08-13-2023 02:58 AM

Have fun.

Just don't drink

whitehorses 08-13-2023 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7962479)
Hi Whitehorses :)

Are you on holidays with friends?

It might be my advancing age :eek5: or the fact I've been a non-drinker for a long time now, but very few people ask me if I want to drink these days... it's generally only people who don't know me?

D

strangers Dee 😁

whitehorses 08-13-2023 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by FreeOwl (Post 7962480)
Keep it sober, Whitehorses!

Will do 😀

whitehorses 08-13-2023 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Zencat (Post 7962488)
Enjoy your water and lemon slice drink Whitehorses. Good on you for posting about the mood you are in. Let people be puzzled by your not drinking. Let them be them and you be true to your sober self.

It was one man in particular...he said " Come on your on holiday, have a proper drink...so I let him buy me a bottle of still water.😊

whitehorses 08-13-2023 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 (Post 7962554)
stay sober. Alcohol is misery and death for an alcoholic 🙏

👍😎

whitehorses 08-13-2023 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hodd (Post 7962565)
It’ll be one of the best and most relaxing holiday ever, whitehorses. We’ve all wasted so many holidays by spending evenings drinking and nursing hangovers the next day. We’ve risen above that now. Extra credit to you for resisting in a potentially triggering situation. Time to think about what’s next after the hols? Maybe meeting up with others who don’t or rarely drink? Much more fun I promise you.

I'm really enjoying myself and enjoying not drinking.😊👍