Notices

So frustrated…

Old 05-15-2023, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So frustrated…

I drank last night. After 5days of not drinking. I had started antidepressants and only took them for 2 days and they made me feel dizzy, heavy head and sick to my stomach … also had extreme anxiety so after 2 days I decided that it wasn’t worth it. I was so anxious so I drank. So today is day one yet again. I’m really ashamed right now. My anxiety is through the roof. I’m so mad at myself because I got through some tough things this week being sober and was really proud of myself. I just feel like my anxiety will never go away. I hate it so much
Old 05-15-2023, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things like anti depressants need time to 'bed in'.
I felt like you did for a few days - I was full of fear and anxiety - but I trusted my doctor and that things would get better.

They did

Its not an easy time while you're working through the side effects, and of course in the end what you do about the meds is up to you AJ - but I truly think the side effects of the meds pale in comparison to the effect of drinking like we do.

D
Old 05-15-2023, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi AJ- Sorry to hear you are so frustrated. While this is unlikely, it’s time to accept that even if your anxiety never abates, alcohol is not the answer. Equating less anxiety with consuming alcohol is a falsehood, pure and simple.

Once you accept that the only way out is by not drinking, making the right choices will be easier- remove alcohol from the situation completely.

You can do it- keep trying.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear, AJ. Something I've done a thousand times. Do not beat yourself up - you're trying!

The anxiety is always bad the next day, then it will taper off. You can get through it!

Any chance you can get in a cardio workout? It would always really help me.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. Im
just so filled with shame right now. Like crippling shame. I’m beating myself up. I got pedilyte with added vitamins to help. I can manage a walk yet because I also slept only 3 hours. I just am so sad. As far as the anti depression meds go, I can’t have those side effects and go to work. They were very unbearable… I’m in the throes of the anxiety right now and feel like such a piece of crap …. Maybe I need to feel this way so I remember how ****** this is. I even threw up. Like what is wrong with me? I know better. I have a blessed life
Old 05-15-2023, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

AJ, I know that it takes antidepressants awhile to begin to work. I think that, often, the initial side-effects will go away within days and you will begin to feel the benefits.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
AJ, I know that it takes antidepressants awhile to begin to work. I think that, often, the initial side-effects will go away within days and you will begin to feel the benefits.
I have heard that but my side effects were so bad that There would have been no way for me to start my new job on Wednesday. I could hardly walk I was so dizzy
Old 05-15-2023, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you able to call the doctor that prescribed the antidepressant? Or the pharmacist that dispensed them? They might be able to offer you advice, reassurance that will help you get through what you’re dealing with right now.

I’ve suffered from some pretty severe anxiety in the past and it really helped to get outside and walk.. and keep walking. If you’re too dizzy for that maybe find or create a distraction that keeps you active even if you’re just cleaning your home or reorganizing a closet and drawers. Anything to clear your head!

And eat! If I can’t sleep well or wake up in the middle of the night some peanut butter toast a banana and a glass of milk is my go to 😊

You’ll get through this *hugs*