Notices

Fragile Sobriety

Old 05-19-2023, 06:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You値l grow stronger from this.
One day you値l be stressed or in a bad mood or whatever - and you値l realise you didn稚 hear it at all
D
I know the context in which you use the word "stronger," and indeed, I certainly think of my sobriety as being more solid with every year, but I don't feel stronger in that I no longer have to fight to stay sober as I did that first month. There is no battle where I exert energy and strength.

One day, we don't need to be stronger, but we will still need to be vigilant, thoughtful, and smart. When our AV invites us to a grueling battle of wills, we just ignore the invitation, and leave the AV out on the battlefield talking to himself with nothing to do as we go about our day.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing Scott. I also have felt tempted lately. Good to know I'm not alone. Best to you. ❤️
Old 05-22-2023, 02:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I know the context in which you use the word "stronger," and indeed, I certainly think of my sobriety as being more solid with every year, but I don't feel stronger in that I no longer have to fight to stay sober as I did that first month. There is no battle where I exert energy and strength.

One day, we don't need to be stronger, but we will still need to be vigilant, thoughtful, and smart. When our AV invites us to a grueling battle of wills, we just ignore the invitation, and leave the AV out on the battlefield talking to himself with nothing to do as we go about our day.
'Stronger' is a little imprecise, I agree - but it cuts through better than than something like 'a fundamental and intrinsic surety'.
but yeah, it a paradox for sure
I win the battle by not fighting.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

'a fundamental and intrinsic surety'.

That sounds like something on an official form! Why use plain English when the perplexing will do.

I am learning this. Don't fight, I can't win.
I don't argue with the AV, it's the part of me that is gunning for a drink, it already has an advantage in any argument. But no advantage in a straight up dismissal.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
'Stronger' is a little imprecise, I agree - but it cuts through better than than something like 'a fundamental and intrinsic surety'.
but yeah, it a paradox for sure
I just get caught up in the interesting paradoxes of recovery. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that a newbie can understand the wonderful insights that abound outside the fog of active alcoholism, and the strength, or willpower issue is one of the paradoxes I never saw until I got there. It hit me one day as, "Holy smoke! I've been barking up the wrong tree." I was in the right forest, but focused on the wrong tree. Well, at least I was in the right forest. All of us have to start there.

Originally Posted by Bottomed View Post
'a fundamental and intrinsic surety'.
Why use plain English when the perplexing will do.
If this thread gets any headier, I may not be able to keep up.

Originally Posted by Bottomed View Post
I am learning this. Don't fight, I can't win.
I don't argue with the AV, it's the part of me that is gunning for a drink, it already has an advantage in any argument. But no advantage in a straight up dismissal.
Thank you. That's brings the discussion back down into the lower atmosophere.