Notices

Sober Weekenders -Weekender thread 12-15 May 2023

Old 05-12-2023, 09:09 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Lets proudly and strongly keep swimming against the current. 😘
In terms of the amount of money spent on promoting various types of booze and a largely ficticious 'happy lifestyle' that goes with it, we are definitely swimming against the tide but... for all its ills, I think social media has made dealing with alcohol abuse less isolating, people can admit they have a problem online and begin to arrest their decline a little earlier and perhaps more easily than was once the case. Also, the more people that acknowledge they have a problem, the less stigma there is about it.

Hats of to the people who quit last century.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'll be in too.

Enjoying a cuppa tonight and feel good

Looking forward to exercise tomorrow.

Eggcup
Old 05-12-2023, 03:19 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
In terms of the amount of money spent on promoting various types of booze and a largely ficticious 'happy lifestyle' that goes with it, we are definitely swimming against the tide but... for all its ills, I think social media has made dealing with alcohol abuse less isolating, people can admit they have a problem online and begin to arrest their decline a little earlier and perhaps more easily than was once the case. Also, the more people that acknowledge they have a problem, the less stigma there is about it.

Hats of to the people who quit last century.
Back in the day, face to face AA would've been all that was around, no way I would've gone.
So I think you're right, social media and online help has made it much easier.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm a better late than never sober SR member. Drugs was fun for a while then it wasn't. I just liked to be high all the time. But that never last as we all know. The pain would far outweigh the pleasure, eventually breaking me with the all suffering addiction brings.

I was told once in an NA meeting that "a grateful addict never has to use again". I know that to be true.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:27 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Drugs... Another habit I had to kick.. Since 31.7.2010 I've only used 4 times. I have had many many close calls but have not dived in.. But I'm still not safe from them, if someone put some in front of my face and offered it too me, then the devil that never rears it's head grows so big that my body physically starts reacting to the thought of getting it..and I wasn't even a daily user, I was recreational user but every week though..
Glad I'm not there now.. And I'm glad you aren't there either Zencat..

Old 05-12-2023, 11:18 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Zencat, ‘better late than never’ got you sober and clean thankfully. I only wish I’d given up years ago, or never drank at all!

Red pleased you’ve escaped the cutches of booze and drugs too.

I need to lose some weight. I don’t want to, I’ve got to the stage of I can’t be bothered. I’m limited exercise wise because of the asthma and my motivation is zero. I’m going to put my recovery sober tools to use for losing weight. I know I can do it. Just lack motivation I guess. That first step will be my goal.

Thinking of Alpine, hoping all went well with her surgery. 🙏

Love to all Weekenders xxxx
Old 05-13-2023, 01:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 223. Food hangover today. Better than an alcohol induced hangover. Best to all.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:21 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 233 days Runner!
Old 05-13-2023, 01:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders
I'm a bit late to the party but I'm in for a sober weekend.
Mags I need to lose some weight too - around 20lbs.
I lost a few pounds initially when I gave up drinking but now my new found love for all things sugar is out of control.
Maybe walking and tweaking your diet a little would be easier if you suffer with asthma as it's lower maintenance than committing to a bloody awful gym programme or anything - the horror
I try to get in steps every day - I bought a Fitbit to inspire me a couple of years back - and I was actually better at keeping up with it as a full time alcoholic than I am now - I used to walk miles - now I'm bored within half an hour and rarely take my bike out anymore.
Walking or cycling used to calm the crushing anxiety I felt - I guess I don't need it anymore as I no longer feel it as intensely - which is a brilliant win - I'll take being a bit fat over that debilitating anxiety any day!
I might download some audiobooks today and see if the inspire me to walk a bit further.

I don't have any plans for this weekend which is a bit dangerous - but I just feel exhausted from the past few days - I slept for 9 solid hours last night which just felt amazing, waking up without a hangover and feeling positive.
I cannot emphasise enough for the people struggling that sobriety is a gift and I hope that I can continue on this path because it feels amazing.
I'll be celebrating my 4 month soberversary on Wednesday
I'm very careful not to get complacent as my AV pops up regularly without warning and whispers to me that I have it under control now and could have a night out with ` a few drinks` and be able to moderate - ALL LIES!

Anyway I'm rambling on here I need to mainline some more caffeine before deciding what to do today LOL
Happy Saturday everyone x

Old 05-13-2023, 03:02 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Overforty, great work with four months. Sobriety certainly is a gift. I had serious sugar cravings early in sobriety, but have since dropped about 30 lbs. Another 20 would be nice. Anything the AV says is certainly a lie!

Mags, I try to keep a handle on loose ends, like eating ice cream before bed, LOL. It can be tough though.though.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi everyone ,

wishing all you lovely Mums a HAPPY MOTHERS DAY .
mothers of children, cats, dogs etc.

you are ALL AMAZING .

much love

Snoozy

xxx

Old 05-13-2023, 05:30 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thankyou cityboy
Its been a difficult 4 months but I can finally feel everything ease up a bit which is very welcome!
Wow you lost 30lbs! Thats amazing
Losing even 1lb is a struggle for me - I'd like to be around 140lbs which at 5ft 7 is a decent weight - but as I get older my body doesn't want to be that weight anymore.
When did the sugar craving go away for people?
Old 05-13-2023, 05:33 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. In for this sober weekend Heading into my first weekend of my 4th year sober.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:39 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 4 months overforty. Good work.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:11 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Reid, congratulations on your 4th sober anniversary on the 10th. Great going!

overforty, I'm 3 days ahead of you and I still have the sugar cravings too. Like yourself, I need to lose some weight. One step at a time though, staying sober is the main priority though hopefully the sugar cravings will fade in time.

I'm in a lazy mood today. This morning I had to wait in for a parcel to be delivered and I'm now watching my football team on TV. I may go for a walk later this afternoon but I might just stay at home and do nothing...
Old 05-13-2023, 06:29 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4yrs Reid

Thanks Mags - it's amazing how that 4 months seems like an eternity but time in general is whizzing by - where has this year gone!

Well done on your 4 months Robbie it feels like a major triumph doesn't it!
I cant wait to be where some of the people here are with years under their belt!
And yes keeping sober is definitely more if a priority than losing weight at the moment - hopefully as another 4 months pass so will the need to go in a bakery every time I walk past one Haha!
It doesn't help that I made an apple crumble (again) the other day that needs to be eaten over the weekend.....
Old 05-13-2023, 08:33 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Magsie

Overforty, Apple crumble Mmmmm.

Reid congratulations on 4 years!

Robbie more congratulations on 4 months!

Trying to sort out some pictures the the living room wall, it’s looking a bit bare on the walls. I’m not a natural when it comes to arranging a room, furnishings and stuff.

Snoozy, happy Mother’s Day to you. Hope you have a good day love. 💐💐💐 and all mum’s in Australia. ❤️
Old 05-13-2023, 08:39 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eggcup25 View Post
I'll be in too.

Enjoying a cuppa tonight and feel good

Looking forward to exercise tomorrow.

Eggcup

Hi Eggcup!

Old 05-13-2023, 11:16 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Robbie more congratulations on 4 months!

Trying to sort out some pictures the the living room wall, it’s looking a bit bare on the walls. I’m not a natural when it comes to arranging a room, furnishings and stuff.
Thanks for the congratulations!

I'm dreadful at getting things hung up on walls - I've got some pictures to hang up in the hallway. Lovely pictures - I bought them in 2008! They are still in the bag the shop put them in. I've got a picture to hang up in the kitchen that I've had for around 10 years. I've even had the kitchen painted three times in that time, painted each time a colour that will match the frame. Also I think I mentioned once before that I've got some shelving to put up in my bedroom that I bought in January 2021. It's still in the box...
Old 05-13-2023, 03:50 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Eggcup!

Congratulations on 4 months overforty & Robbie. Congratulations on 4 years Reid. 4 months without booze is so daunting when you are drinking but once you break through the craving stage you no longer have to "endure" not drinking, you don't even think about it much.

Happy 15th anniversary to your pictures Robbie, maybe this year will be the one