Notices

Sober Weekenders -Weekender thread 12-15 May 2023

Old 05-11-2023, 04:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As a teenager I drank for fun occasionally and because it was cool. In my 20s, 30s and 40s I drank for fun too. Then I think in my late 40s until I quit at 58 I drank to escape, to "relieve" anxiety and to stop the hangxiety. Every day at 5 I would open the red wine and keep it flowing until bedtime. Moderating did not work. So glad I finally quit and shortly after found SR.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee.

In for the Sober Weekend.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.
I love my sober weekends so much. You know, I used to get stuff done on weekends despite the drinking. I still kept up with the necessary things around the house and with the kids. But I was cranky, slightly (or more than slightly) sick, or half drunk while doing those things. I would look forward to the end of the day (4 pm or so) when I could start drinking wine. I was going through the motions, and I will always feel regret for not being more present and cheerful with my kids and ex-spouse. NOW, I can get so much done... not just the necessary stuff, but I have time and energy for things like getting up early and heading to a park for a long hike, or a visit with my mom, or a scenic drive in my little convertible. I can babysit my granddaughter at the drop of a hat. I can help my man friend at his cabin (he's selling it, so no more of that after we pack it all up). So many things. Life is so much more full and satisfying and FUN!
Old 05-11-2023, 07:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Count me in for another sober weekend! ☼
Old 05-11-2023, 08:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders, please count me in!

We’re flying to Cape Town tomorrow to spend the weekend with my dad and my sister. We planned to go at the end of the month (it‘s his birthday then), but work got in the way so we had to make it earlier.

Best wishes to everyone for a relaxing sober weekend.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had my first cardiac rehab session this morning. I enjoyed it, it was one and three quarter hours of exercises, a 5 minute relaxation session and a class talk to finish things off. It's 12 sessions in total. The rehab class is taking place in a community centre that I used to go to in the late 1970s! Back then it was to go to the weekly teen disco, now it's to go to a cardiac rehabilitation class. Definitely something I would never have foresaw happening when I was a fit and healthy 14 or 15 year old. Unbelievably, the cardiac rehab class is not only taking place in the same community centre but is in the exact same room where the disco used to be. That really brought home what alcohol (and smoking) has done to my health.

I was a bit achy afterwards as the exercises involved stretching parts of my body that haven't been stretched for a long while. I'm expecting to have a stiff back and sides tomorrow. I did at least get a half hour walk in this afternoon and walked through the lovely village centre. As it was a nice day there were quite a few people sitting outside the village cafe, the village tea room and, yes, the local pub. For the latter I had no desire to join the drinkers but I did fancy going into the tea room and ordering a carrot cake slice and a cup of tea and sitting outside in the sun. I couldn't do this as I sensibly never carry money on me when I go for a walk through the village centre to avoid temptation! Previously it would have been to avoid ending up in a pub, now it's to avoid ending up eating high-calorie slices of cake 🍰
Old 05-11-2023, 11:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm in for a hangover free weekend.

Thanks Mags/Dee

I suspect that for a long time - years - the weekend allows heavy drinkers to get away with drinking guilt free or at least with a lot less guilt than other times because "everyone drinks at the weekend don't they?"

That was certainly what I used to tell myself. Of course, a lot of people DO drink at weekends but putting people who had maybe a half dozen units of alcohol in the same category as the ridiculous amounts I used to drink was a real feat of self-deception. Normalising the abnormal.

As Mags said in the OP, life without booze can SEEM bleak when you're still drinking but there is nothing you can do whilst drinking that you can't do sober (at least nothing you would actually want to do that is)

Good luck quitters and wannabe quitters.

Old 05-11-2023, 12:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi all

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
... Unbelievably, the cardiac rehab class is not only taking place in the same community centre but is in the exact same room where the disco used to be. ...
Funny old world, isn't it, Robbie. The classes sound good and comprehensive.

CaptainHaddock - enjoy your weekend.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

^
It is indeed a funny old world Caramel, and one that at times seems to go around full circle. We end up back where we started, or at least where we were, that sort of thing.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Saou, good to see you check in. I was nearly always one who would take the drinking to another level that those around me.

The idea of life totally without alcohol honestly did not even seem possible at first.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

I’m in.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never drank to be social, I drank to get smashed. . So glad those days are gone...
Old 05-11-2023, 10:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Another bleak day here, weather wise.

Robbie, your cardiac rehab sessions sound helpful and very constructive. It’s good you and others who have been through a heart problem have this support.

When I drank something in my brain would said Yes! This is it! Yeah it was it. It was the road to ruin for me. Giving up drinking was the last thing I wanted to do. I tried cutting down for years, trying to control it. But it never worked. Abstinence was the only way for me. I never thought I could do it. But the days added up into weeks, months then years.

Discovering myself and all that I had hidden with booze had to be dealt with. It was a vulnerable time for me and reading my old posts I was often floundering and wanting a ‘virtual’ hug. I felt like I was a stranger to myself.

Somehow, with the help of SR and all it’s members I got my life in order. I kept taking one step in front of the other.
There’s always something along the way, but that’s life, it throws things at us and we have to face it, whatever. Sometimes it’s hard but one thing I realise, it’s better dealing with life with a sober and clear head. Much better.

If you’re reading this and thinking alcohol is ruining your life. Give it up! It can be done. Many people here are testament to living a sober life.
Who knew it? There is life after booze.

Have a good sober weekend. xxxx

Old 05-12-2023, 12:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 222.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am irritated. I've nearly fallen asleep three times tonight and each time Billie has started barking and disturbed me. .
Old 05-12-2023, 02:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Dealing with life with a clear head, after having been in that fog for so long, truly is so much better. It feels almost like an unfair advantage sometimes as I am so much more aware of the anxiety other people are facing.

Drinking for the social aspect was just another in a long list of false excuses. "It makes me more personable and outgoing". In reality, it made me an idiot given to off color remarks.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I've had a few cravings this week, luckily I have the tools to brush them off. It's been a tough few months and especially physically worn out these last couple of weeks. I've had some help but mostly doing it alone. Mrs D arrives back in the city this morning, I'm so excited and gonna be waiting for her on the hug rug! https://www.waa.ca/en/newsroom/view/...ug-rug-at-ywg/

(Not a moment to soon either, we are out of cereal and the sugar bowl is empty. ;^>)
Old 05-12-2023, 03:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello Dragon
I like that "hug rug" concept, nice!

How is Sami (the boss) doing?
Do you serenade her with some ukulele tunes? ♪♫♪

Have a good day Weekenders! ☼
Old 05-12-2023, 04:32 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yay I've made it through Friday night and day 6 sober! It's nearly midnight and I'm in bed, what bliss..
Old 05-12-2023, 08:14 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Glad to see everyone!

Getting a lot of things done and thinking more clearly as the months of sobriety and active recovery whiz along.

Captain, Robbie, Runner, Sao, Red, STD, CB, least, MAGS, Caramel, CK, MLD, LHW, Leigh, CBS, (ugh if I’ve missed a few).

Mwuah!

Lets proudly and strongly keep swimming against the current. 😘