Notices

I Really Truly Thought I Was Done

Old 05-08-2023, 10:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, whitejay. A lot of wisdom in the posts above.

Take gentle care
Old 05-08-2023, 10:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Glad you're here, whitejay. A lot of wisdom in the posts above.

Take gentle care
Old 05-08-2023, 11:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great to see you, Whitejay - glad you made it back. I understand about getting caught up in all the bad news, and have had to cut down myself, or I would be too pessimistic. We have to make ourselves the number one priority in recovery and gratitude/optimism/hope are a big part of our mental health. And when we help out locally, vote and live our values - as opposed to becoming cynical - it really helps to know we have done what we could and made a difference in some way.

Don't beat yourself up - you are a good person. We have all slipped up - me many times.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I thought I was actually done a few times. I think I'm done now, but how do you really know for sure? Welcome back! Hopefully you can just keep going and this will turn out to be one more speed-bump in the rearview mirror.
Old 05-08-2023, 02:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

Hello advbike, I am happy I made it back too......been in bed all day reading SR and feeling sad- as if I'm in another world looking IN.
This disease is confusing, just when you thought all is well....
Then "pop" !
Being unable to have self discipline at my age is exhausting and shameful. I am not in a good place and so tired of my B.S.Stopping all world news is first ,-
yes, protecting my mental health is imperative - that means reading, talking, debating, screaming, flipping out over Biden, wars, wokeness, open borders,homelessness all of it !!!!
I want off the world 🌎
Old 05-08-2023, 02:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello whitejay.
I have not had a TV for 20 years. I got sick of the propaganda it spouts. The news channels give you the propaganda the people who pay them off want you to hear, not the truth.
Did you know 6 yes 6 companies own all of the major (and a lot of the minor) news channels and newspapers? In the world that is! Very few small independent news outlets now.
Usually at the bottom of any agenda they push is money and more profit for already mega rich companies/people.
It's all a farce and I can't say I have missed out at all in not joining in with this farce.
Just live your life and let them get on with manipulating the masses who are gullible enough to fall for any of their lies and manipulation. They thrive by inducing fear in people. Scared people are easier to control.

Sod them 🙂 and just concentrate on the things you can control in your own life. That's all I am trying to do.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

one of the reasons we have a no politics rule here at SR.....
This is a safe place for everyone.

I used to drink over the state of the world too but my drinking never made anything better.
Me being sober and giving my time to various causes has helped to make a very small difference, and that feels better than doing nothing at all.

I'm glad you made it back whitejay - you've learned something and I think you have the experience now to shut down the AV at the next social occasion or the next time you worry about the world.

D
Old 05-08-2023, 02:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

Bottomed; I believe exactly everything you just said....that is "another" topic my family screams about propaganda and all lies - very interesting about the 6 companies. Thanks for that tidbit.....
Releasing my pent up angèr should be my priority - yoga, meditation, long walks.....
Now that will work for me.
Old 05-08-2023, 02:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

But whitejay I do believe human nature is basically kind and well meaning, no matter what you may hear on the news. That thought always cheers me up. Basic, uncorrupted, untramatised (not a word I made it up) human nature is beautiful I think.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome back Whitejay.

Gandhi said become the change you seek in the world. or something

I hope you don't mind me asking but, do you obese over other parts of your life besides world affairs?

I look to history to understand what is going on worldwide today. I think it puts things into perspective.

The Serenity Prayer can help with understanding our role in the world. I recite it often when I feel conflicted about stuff.

Post - Reply - Engage
Old 05-08-2023, 04:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Kickin' the TV to the curb is a good idea. I lost touch with the news, TV shows etc when I went to rehab May 9th last year. I watch a little of the local news before I leave for work but that's it. Only movies for me this last year.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We shall overcome.

Good to see you back whitejay. I remember you because always thought your username pretty. Like a bird.

Ignore the rabble whitejay. Get sober, and spread those wings.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by whitejay View Post
Definitely unbridled thoughts and major anxiety. I am always in my head thinking thinking , about life, news, shootings, politics,
the way our world is crumbling in front of our eyes. The children, the poor children what they have to grow up in. Poverty, inflation, on and on. If I could just stop.
The drink sounds calming. It makes everything worse.
I dont know how to stop thinking of all of it, crying, praying, talking about the news all day long.
Maybe I should start there.
But how ??
I was subscribed Naltrexone. Amazing!
Totally stopped the incessant squirrel-cage racket in my head.
Calms me.

Old 05-11-2023, 12:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today, Whitejay?
Old 05-12-2023, 02:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

It took 5 days to feel a little better. I have realized I need to do 1 nice thing for myself daily -
as small as stretching, walking, cooking healthy (instead of never eating) etc....
My health ins recently added lots of different mental health options called Wellovation.
Before I would of deleted the email - today I will use it, podcasts, online therapy , anything you want. I'm grateful for all of you taking your time out of your busy day to talk.
I'm sticking around this time.
Thank you 🤧

Old 05-12-2023, 08:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Obviously we hope all drinkers quit, but I don’t wish recovery and the events either side on anyone. Like a lot of people, I was convinced I had serious liver damage. As well as aches and pain in that whole right rib area, I was tired and nauseous - Dr Google would diagnose something nasty with such symptoms. Then came the quitting and the anxiety. I was kicking myself for ever starting drinking as I thought that feeling of dread was here to stay. I was mightily relieved when it started to fade as it wouldn’t be sustainable - I’d relapse. As it was, it lasted a few weeks. There was more to come, though, as my right rib cage continued to aches for months after. It was only when I had a private fibroscan to confirm all was ok (phew!!!) did those pains stop.

There’s no way to sugarcoat it, whitejay, but it does get better. The events above were four years ago. Life’s good now, and it’ll be for you too.