Notices

God save the king 🇬🇧🙂

Old 05-05-2023, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

God save the king 🇬🇧🙂

For those not in the UK, there’s a big ceremony tomorrow where the new king gets formally crowned. I don’t care about it, but a lot of people do and are having parties and such things. I was hearing callers on the radio talking of parties, 1000 years of history, once in a lifetime and all that.

I said I don’t care about it, but I am an ex-drinker and know full well a lot of Brits will be inebriated by tea time. It’s also a public holiday on Monday so even more reason for those beers.

I hope no SR gang get sucked in to the “once in lifetime” line. I reckon sobriety can be a once in a lifetime thing as people often relapse and never recover. Also, however you feel about royalty, sobriety is way more important. Anyone pushing a drink on to one of us is to be avoided.

Have a good weekend all and lots of cups of tea 🙂🇬🇧
Old 05-05-2023, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read a poll report this morning that a rather large majority of Brits don't care that much about the coronation. Something like 7% were deeply interested and the rest didn't care much or not at all. But I wish you all a sober coronation.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm all in for a nice cuppa tea too, no matter what
we are celebrating. It's healthy and there's
no hangover. Ever.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I read a poll report this morning that a rather large majority of Brits don't care that much about the coronation. Something like 7% were deeply interested and the rest didn't care much or not at all. But I wish you all a sober coronation.
I’m in the 93% 🙂

The trouble is people get suckered into attending events and end up doing the british pastime of drinking. I think any SR gang based in the UK should be wary this weekend. I reckon my quitting/recovery is my once in a lifetime event. The king wouldn’t care if I was sober or drunk. No point in risking a relapse tomorrow, folks 🙂
Old 05-05-2023, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great advice

It's absolutely an excuse to drink for many.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I care; just saying. And I doubt that stat is right.

"The coronation, whose origins date back 1,000 years, will be the biggest ceremonial event since that staged for Charles' mother Queen Elizabeth in 1953, with a display of pageantry and a huge military procession."

And I don't think it's an excuse to drink for many; I don't think people who aren't alcoholics think that way.

PS. I am an Aussie from two British parents, just in case you are wondering; I grew up with all of this.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've spoken to alot of folk recently about the coronation through work and many , I have to say do seem to have a interest but I don't feel there's the same amount of hype as there was for the jubilee with this.
Many I spoke with said they'll be drinking cups of tea and eating lots while watching, several have said they'll be partying hard and openly admitted to it being a good excuse to drink to excess and some said they had no interest at all.
It is history in the making obviously and although personally I'm interested but not hugely excited by it I can certainly see how somebody could potentially get triggered by the event, abit like Christmas can be very triggering for some. I think when you see the masses coming together celebrating something it can set off a bit of FOMO. Everyone will be doing something different (or nothing) for it and whilst some have an avid interest, some don't, its not all about drinking for many people. Unfortunately us brits do have a bit of a bad rep for boozing and don't need much of an excuse!
Old 05-05-2023, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
That 7% is still the entire population of my country NZ lol
My mum is going to a high tea coronation party, she is getting flashed up but they will either drink tea or have ONE glass of champayne and be perfectly happy, I very much envy that.
I think only the older generation care in NZ.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There will be another once in a lifetime event along shortly.

I had just past 4 months heading into my first sober New Years. Its an opportunity to just sit back and observe.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

​​​Many I spoke with said they'll be drinking cups of tea and eating lots while watching
That sounds way more fun.

There will be another once in a lifetime event along shortly.
🙂 I get your meaning, RD. This gave me an uneasy laugh. The drinkers using the once in a lifetime line will also “celebrate” their football team winning (or drown their sorrows) or a new job or, let’s face it, the day has a “y” in it.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm mildly interested in the coronation. 🇬🇧 I'll be in a pub watching it tomorrow. I won't drink, I'll be the designated driver for two ladies. But the atmosphere and Guinness may be triggering. I'm still thinking what to order instead of my go-to club soda with lime. But if I can't think of anything else, this will have to do.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

When I drank it would’ve been a great excuse to drink all day! Now I’ll be watching sober and clear headed.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The Coronation of TM The King and Queen Camilla - BBC Livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32vOXffXfkw

Old 05-06-2023, 02:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Since I stopped drinking, it's been increasingly jarring how British society blends getting drunk with notable events. Coronation, bank holiday, wedding, birthday, a rare sunny Saturday, it all leads to boozing. I've gone from an active participant to finding it crazy in the space of seven months. I have to admit that I don't like the feeling of being out of step with the majority. Feel quite isolated sometimes. I took my family to a holiday camp last weekend (the kids love the swimming pool and entertainment). I used to love getting (inappropriately) drunk while the kids danced and enjoyed themselves at the evening entertainment. This time I just sat there feeling anxious and increasingly grumpy as the whole room around me drank heavily. On the plus side, I woke up hangover free, present and energetic for my family - we spent most of the day zooming down water slides! I wasn't very tempted to drink in any meaningful way, but that feeling of missing out and isolation still stung.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I gotta say,
I'm mildy jealous of you Brits and your history.
I do think a tea sounds nice,
Throw in some good little sandwiches and biscuits and I'm there!
I'll be doing some outside work today.
But if the Coronation is on any of the 4 tv channels I get, I will probably tune in from NY
Have fun! Stay sober!
Old 05-06-2023, 04:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Since I stopped drinking, it's been increasingly jarring how British society blends getting drunk with notable events
Hi John, I feel quite smug at times walking through a town centre or a bar seeing what are pretty much slobs with nothing better to do than drink and talk nonsense. I’ve got no problem with occasional drinkers - the sort who might have only one drink today - but frequent drinkers who find any excuse to have a bucket or two are so very dull. Over time, you’ll never want to go back to that. I found myself in a bar area overseas recently - being polite to who I was with (an acquaintance) didn’t come into play; I got in a taxi and got the heck out. I wasn’t concerned about relapsing, I just didn’t see why I should waste an evening in that grim environment.

Time for a tea. Is it over yet? 🤣
Old 05-06-2023, 04:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I did some teaching today, Zen. The kid was more interested in my lesson than today’s events 🤣
Old 05-06-2023, 05:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm in the percentile that doesn't really care about the Royals etc .. although I do like to have a look at what Kate is wearing every now and again haha
I don't have terrestrial TV either or read news or have social media - so unless I go outside I wont hear a lot about it.
I do live in a small tourist city near London and have an Abbey at the end of my road though - so I'll be avoiding going out today and getting triggered by all the day drinking etc that is probably going on.
I do have to venture out to do some food shopping though - where there are piles of alcohol on special offer at the entrance of every supermarket for the Coronation.
I won't be buying any - I'm going to make lasagne
Old 05-06-2023, 05:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I could say I’d prefer Kate as queen, but I guess that’s political and not for SR.

As for the booze stacked high, O40, it’s just like during the Covid lockdowns. All a bit messed up so be glad to be free of it. Lasagne (and tea of course) are way more interesting than guzzling on fizzy whatever and feeling like death tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I watched. With my English breakfast tea.