Notices

Day 1 again.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so happy you joined us MKRN - & that you want to change your life.

I drank 30 yrs. & wasted a lot of time insisting I could control the amounts I drank. It was never possible, and I became completely dependent on alcohol. I was drinking all day, every day when I came to SR years ago. The welcome I received here made me feel instantly less anxious about quitting. I found the courage to quit after posting & reading here. I knew I was no longer alone. That meant everything.

We know you can get free, MKRN. Stay with us.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I had many day ones over the years, and my last one was January 1, 2016. I was feeling very much like you are now.

The people on this forum helped me get sober. I joined the January 2016 class, and that was very helpful, because everyone was in the same place as I was. I also posted on the 24 hour thread. The support I received from both of those threads and any posts I made was incredible.

I promise it gets better, and I promise it is worth it. ❤️
Old 05-03-2023, 03:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 3, just have a headache. I am really trying to talk the AV voice down. In my mind I am thinking I can drink again, I can control it, I can't do this forever, life will be no fun. We are taveling from the US to Ireland in June and I know I am going to want to have a beer. That is going to be a challenge. But am just taking it one day at a time. Today I will not drink. I am already at home and about to go and work in my yard.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

whenever my inner addict said life sober would be no fun, I looked back at my life drinking..not much fun there either.
Give sober a chance

D
Old 05-03-2023, 04:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

MKRN, just because you know you will want to have a beer doesn't mean you have to follow through with the thought. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Ireland yet, but if I was going, I'd be planning to walk on a lot of the beautiful beaches. I'd also plan to check out a lot of the historical sites. Making lifestyle changes to support my recovery was crucial for me. Plan ahead and make a decision you will not drink, no matter what.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by MKRN View Post
Day 3, just have a headache. I am really trying to talk the AV voice down. In my mind I am thinking I can drink again, I can control it, I can't do this forever, life will be no fun. We are taveling from the US to Ireland in June and I know I am going to want to have a beer. That is going to be a challenge. But am just taking it one day at a time. Today I will not drink. I am already at home and about to go and work in my yard.
Yesterday I reached two weeks. For some reason I had the worst craving for some whiskey that I have had in two weeks. I was thinking "All I have to do is get in the truck and drive a mile to the liquor store, come home, take some shots snd go to bed. No one would ever know." But I did not do that. I could not come here and post day 15 had I done that. I know my most tempting point will be in the mornings. I work third shift. When I was drinking I would come home, wait for my wife to leave for work and then drink until I went to bed. My wife knew I drank she just complained if she saw me drinking so I waited an hour after I came home till she left. For the past year I quit several times. Then I thought, "If I control how much I drink I will be fine." I would start out controlling it but every signal time I would loose my control sooner or later. Some people can control how much they can drink but alcoholics cannot and never will be able too.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations, DDog for making it over that hurdle. The temptations can pop up any time in early recovery - but you were prepared.
It took me a long time to admit there would never be control. I spent many years insisting I could moderate. I'm so glad we no longer delude ourselves.
Well done on reaching 15 days sober - be proud.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 5 going to a funeral of a man who was an alcoholic. No real symptoms other than a mild headache and a night sweats. Up early on my porch drinking coffee and watching the rain.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Made it through the funeral today, gave away a bottle of wine I had recently bought, watched my friend's three young kids (her father was the person who passed) so she could go hang with her family that came into town, and successfully spent my first Friday night in ages sober. I am still taking it a day at a time, but day 5 is done.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss MKRN
But what a sobering way to start your own journey.
Congratulations on 5 days
Old 05-06-2023, 09:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you! Day 6 done. Tomorrow will be a week, so yay for that. My child is at prom and I am anxiously waiting for her to get home to a friend's house, praying for good decisions.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome MKRN. It must have been a tough first week for you. So sorry you had this loss but good that you were there sober to support your friend.
Keep posting, reading and come here every day for help when needed. I found myself that this community was and still is a great help for me. It was another day 1 back then and finding people who understood and knew what i felt what i was going through was all the encouragement i needed.

As for your trip to Ireland there are so many things to do that don't involve the pub which i only recently began to discover again myself, i hope you enjoy your upcoming trip here.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy Week 1 MKRN! How are you, and how was your kid’s prom?
Old 05-07-2023, 07:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Al48 thanks for that, we are so excited. The only alcohol based tour my travel agent has planned is the Jameson Distillery. I am not a fan of whiskey and I should be good with that. I do appreciate how things are made so it will be interesting. Any tips for our visit? I am just taking one day at a time and putting one foot in front of the other.

Hawkeye13, the girls made it home safely from the prom and I did not have to go and pick them up from the after party. I told them I would no questions asked and waited on standby. It was tough staying up so late, but did that all the time while drinking, so weird how drinking even changes our perception of time. I was able to be a responsible adult for my children and her friends and that felt great.

Day 7 and still having night sweats but other than that my symptoms are minimal thank goodness. Have not made it to a week in at least 3 years so cheers to that. Hope everyone is having a lovely sober day!
Old 05-07-2023, 09:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

7 days free of it - what wonderful news, MKRN.

I would love a re-do of my trip to Europe years ago. I wasn't sharp - numb half of the time - & missed doing a lot of things I meant to. You'll have a clear head to take in everything - it sounds very exciting. Such a beautiful place.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MKRN;7930350]Al48 thanks for that, we are so excited. The only alcohol based tour my travel agent has planned is the Jameson Distillery. I am not a fan of whiskey and I should be good with that. I do appreciate how things are made so it will be interesting. Any tips for our visit?

Cobh is a must with you being so close. Its a lovely town with lots of history and the last port of call for the Titanic. Great tours there.hope you have a great time.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have done the Jameson tour and it will be OK—just don’t raise your hand at the beginning when they ask for volunteers because those are the people who do the tasting at the end if it is the same. The tour itself, and the surrounding area, are very interesting alcohol-free. I also suggest eating before you go, taking some snacks and a soft drink in your bag in case you get cravings.