Notices

Banned In Six Continents

Old 04-07-2023, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Banned In Six Continents

There were so many times in the past that I failed to recognize and learn that I had just experienced a bottoming out moment. Instead…I used even more alcohol to create an inner belligerence towards those sending the very clear signal. I was the ship lost in the storm, taking on water and starting to sink. Instead of sending an overt distress call I torpedoed the lighthouse that could have guided me ashore.

Long before I got sober I was travelling overseas constantly for business with a generous expense account. There was a well know international hotel chain that garnered the majority of my business and they knew how to show their appreciation with upgraded rooms, executive lounges with open bars and on-call concierge and limo (this is before rideshare services). They had 5-star properties on 6 continents and I had multiple stays at most of them several times a year. In one Asian country I was typically met by a driver at the airport in the customs hall and whisked into an airconditioned SUV with a full bar of my favorites in the back.

It was towards the end of the year and I had accumulated some incredible “status” level that only 1% reach (or some marketing pitch like that). They put me in a huge suite and gave me access to a very private executive lounge that required a special key and had a 24/7 attendant/waiter, a fully stocked open bar and a private kitchen that would prepare meals and bring them to my table in the lounge. Well…this was not enough even though it was all complementary. The beast in me wanted more…as we know…no matter how much we’ve had..it is NEVER enough. So I waited for the attendant to disappear into the kitchen and I grabbed an entire bottle (750Ml) wrapped my suit jacket around it and rushed it back to my room for later. I frequented the lounge every night during the trip and repeated this larceny, polishing off the bottle after having at least 6 drinks and wine during dinner. I stashed the empties in the vacuous suite and checked out on the 6th day were I was politely asked if I enjoyed my stay and once again climbed into the waiting SUV (only this time they had forgotten the bar)…oh well I thought, I will make up for it at the airline lounge.

Two days after I arrived home I logged on to check my email (this is before the days of super smart phones). There was a message from the manager of the hotel and I imagined that he would be thanking me for my business. Instead it was a polite but firm message explaining that I the [international hotel chain] would “no longer seek nor accept my business at any of its XXX’s properties across the world” and that “both my status and my loyalty points had been forfeited”. There was more legalese about how my name, passport and photo had been circulated within their system. I was stunned…was this really happening or was I so wasted I was imagining it? I fired back a semi-coherent message demanding an explanation. The next day as I planned to call the “loyalty hotline” I received an email full of black and white still photos of me reaching across the bar, taking the bottles, exiting the lounge, running down the hall and entering my room clutching my jacket. There were more pictures than I could count and they were time stamped. Turns out this hotel (Asia) had a very prolific and capable concealed camera system throughout the property.

I was now banned from every property of this huge (well know) chain and all its sub brands in six continents. At the time this should have been a MAYDAY call…but instead I logged onto travel websites and spent the weekend trashing every 5 star property in the chain with disgusting and untrue allegations. I then told corporate that we should never use the chain again and that they were likely engaged in [an unlawful trade]. Years later this still haunts me…the ship I was on was sinking and a rescue helicopter had lowered a life raft onto the deck and my response was to cut it loose and through it overboard. It’s a sad truth that brave people often die trying to rescue arrogant jerks who put themselves in a dangerous and should-be fatal situation -- ignoring all convention. Years later I would pass one of those properties…wondering what would happen if I tried to check in. I would not blame them for turning me away. From "loyal" to "loathed" overnight...God help the beast in me.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope you’re on the mend now, Cartman.

To be honest, after four years sober, if I checked into a hotel with a full mini bar, I’d bag the contents and dump it at reception. There was a great thread a few months ago about the movie Flight (Denzil Washington) where he’s in a hotel room specially cleared out of alcohol, but he noticed the adjoining room is unlocked - complete with full mini bar! Only one of us could appreciate how he was tempted.

Not everyone recognises their problem, so good for you for telling it like it is and hopefully moving on.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A lot of us have had experiences like this Cartman. Doesn't matter whether 5 star, or Death Star hotels, the behaviour is still the same, it's only the thread count on the linen that is different. We've all been there, one way or another.

There is a remedy Cartman. You can take your life back and bar yourself from the madness. The black and white photos you'll get back will look good in a frame, and you'll feel pride in being able to place them on the mantle. Send yourself an email, one to remember.

Sobriety is better than you think Cartman, you're just scared of it at the moment. This changes, and you'll begin to want it. Really want it.

I hope you choose the lighthouse Cartman.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Entertaining post

It's funny how the cost has this big effect on my perception. A couple nights ago I attended a party with an open bar. In drinking days that would have been an invitation for a bender. I would have had to get someones money's worth and tried to drink the bar dry. Now I realize that the cost is too high even if it's for 'free'.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

How's it going today @Cartman ?
Old 04-13-2023, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How you doing Cartman?

If you're drinking that shouldn't prevent you from posting.

Let's talk?

We understand.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Cartman, it’s good to vent, but as Steely and Zen say, let us know how you’re getting on too.

I was surprised how much support I got last year from SR with a non drink-related problem - it really led me to look for the light at the end of the tunnel and out of a dark patch. You’re amongst helpful people here who understand your pain and regret. There’s a way out and better life ahead. We all hope you’re doing OK