Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Easter Weekend Sober and present- Weekenders Thread 07 - 11 April 2023

Notices

Easter Weekend Sober and present- Weekenders Thread 07 - 11 April 2023

Old 04-07-2023, 02:26 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 187.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Mags I love love love the tree. Do you have to put stakes around it with some webbing to help support it during storms?
In for a weekend of sobriety. I have to play the "game" and go over to my MIL's for Easter and I hope we don't stay too long. She takes an incredible amount of energy to spend time with since she is quite the talker and on a good day I sometimes struggle with finding that energy, and lately from the medical things going on I do not have a lot of energy.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Boy howdy, I am IN! LOL
Old 04-07-2023, 03:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Shamrock
Old 04-07-2023, 04:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congrats on 16 years Dee. Some people may think that's an impossible number. Even someone with just a few months was awe inspiring when I stopped drinking, I remember thinking how there is no way I could achieve just a few months sobriety. But one day at a time and it soon adds up. Thanks for all you do.

We got a new tree a few years back, when it was planted, the workers also put in two steaks to keep it stable. My wife has been lovingly caring it for it and it's well established now. We have a huge tree in the back yard, almost the biggest on the block. She nursed it from a six inch sapling and is quite proud of it.

In our family, birthday parties were the drinking excuse. Still is for most of them. In hindsight it was silly going to a birthday party for a toddler just to get drunk.

The head nurse called us last night. Dad's prognosis is bad. We are not expecting him to come home and are preparing for the worst. He just has too many things to battle and is very emaciated. I didn't get much sleep last night.

Wishing everyone a good day.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:51 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Big hug to you ST
Old 04-07-2023, 05:52 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

(((Dragon)))
Old 04-07-2023, 06:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hugs, Dragon. That is sad news.

Old 04-07-2023, 06:44 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

(((Dragon))) so sorry you got bad news about your dad. I lost my mom almost a year ago. I hope you can have some meaningful visits with him.
Daisy congrats on 5 years!
Dee congrats on 16 years!
LHW I hope you can enjoy the wedding and ignore all the drunks ;0)
Haris congrats on 1000 days.
Runner F I hope you have a wonderful visit with your granddaughter.

We are having a rainy cool day here. Kind of nice after a hot and humid day yesterday. Not very churchy so no big Easter plans. But getting together tonight with 2 daughters and granddaughter to celebrate middle daughter's 33rd birthday.

Not going to exercise today as my body has so many aches and pains and I need a break.
Hope everyone has a good sober weekend. Day 841 here.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

((((Dragon)))). Hope that you can have some quality time with your Dad. Lean on us, friend.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:10 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Mags, weeping white cherries are glorious. When they bloom and then drop their petals, they look like of flakes of snow on the ground. If there are enough of those trees in close proximity, the petals can gather and accumulate (as they did in an entrance/portico area of the building where I worked) kids have a blast walking through them. (So did a certain adult I know].
Old 04-07-2023, 08:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Dragon
Old 04-07-2023, 09:34 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

How sad about your dad, Dragon. I hope he is comfortable and pain free.

Love your tree, Mags. It will be nice to watch it grow.

Congrats Dee, amazing job!
Old 04-07-2023, 09:41 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Spoiler

Ice Cream Trigger Alert.

This just landed in my email. Now I want it and I don't even go to McDonalds!
Old 04-07-2023, 11:04 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dragon, sorry to hear your dad’s prognosis isn’t good. Hope you’ll get some quality time with him.

Alpine, there is one stake with the tree but that’s a good thought, to have some webbing and maybe another stake or two. hope all goes well as it can with your treatment today.

Kaily, I love the spoiler pic. I’ve only ever had it once but was so good. Don’t do it!

Leigh, sounds like fun running through the white snow blossoms. I can guess a certain adult person who might like running through it too. ….We had a pink one at our old home and it was like confetti everywhere when it was windy.

CBS, congratulations on 841 days. Hope your aches and pains disappear soon.

Still sunny here at 7pm ish. Sky is a beautiful blue.

Congratulations Dee on 16 years.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:08 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Appointment went well I guess..They have to change the parameters again because the xrays they take daily are showing that it is changing where it is growing. Had CT scans today after radiation and met with the Dr. She said it is changing shape and direction of growth. Sigh..
Mags, we always used a few stakes and webbing, not string/rope to attach it to the trees we planted. We usually kept them for a year or 2 depending upon the growth of the tree.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:22 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I've never had one Mags, I don't intend to either. The fact that I want it so much isn't a good sign and I would end up eating them in multiples everyday.

Alpine I am sorry you are having such a rotten time. If anyone deserves ice cream it is you.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:15 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alpine said what I was going to say, Mags. I would get three or four sturdy stakes and 'tie' them to the tree with something, rope or webbing. It sure is a pretty little tree. . When mk was in first grade, every first grader in the whole district got a young Magnolia or Dogwood tree, only about 3' tall. I planted it in our (rented) back yard and it got to a nice size with beautiful white flowers in the spring. The city school district does that every year, tho I don't know if they still do it.

Our town had a beautiful huge old oak (I think) on the tree lawn in front of the local KFC. KFC wanted to expand something and the only way to do it was to cut down that old tree. There was an article about it in the local paper and the townspeople were angry. Despite it being a majestic form of a biological air cleaner, KFC cut it down anyway. I never again patronized that restaurant.

Alpine, sending you some more hugs from California to get you thru these most trying times.

(((Dragon))).

Finally felt decent enough to walk down the street to get my three scrips. Nice out today, about 60 F and sunny.

Didn't sleep much last night until early in the am. I'm not napping today so I'll get back on my regular sleep schedule.

Caramel, I saw this little article about the benefits of eating grapes and thought of you.

https://kyla.com/p/surprising-health...ource=hs_email
Old 04-07-2023, 01:21 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Staying sober this Bank Holiday weekend.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:31 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Walked in the rain today, flowers blooming and rain drops falling. It was nice and peaceful. I am focusing on staying grounded this long weekend, keeping the stress away the best I can.