Notices

Anxiety

Old 04-01-2023, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

I started my sobriety with dry January. Been doing well. Still no desire to have a drink. However the anxiety has been coming on strong last couple weeks. Is this normal? I wonder if I just have anxiety issues and just never realized because the alcohol always covered it up. Is this maybe why I got hooked on alcohol? It solved my anxiety issues?? If this was the issue as to why I got so dependent I wasn’t aware of it at the time. Now that I’m sober maybe if have an anxiety issue to deal with. Or maybe I’m just adjusting to being sober all the time??? I really don’t know. I don’t like this anxious feeling. Feels like someone is trying to pull the bottom of my stomach up through my sternum. Advice anyone?? Common experience??
Old 04-01-2023, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I recommend seeing your doctor. I have an anxiety disorder that was definitely covered up by drinking. Drinking tends to calm at first, but then anxiety is greater in the hangover period. When I saw my doctor it changed my life. Definitely get checked out. It will help you feel SO much better about it.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think a lot of people get anxiety on giving up alcohol, I know it's something thats happened to me. Even now I'm careful how much coffee I drink. Alcohol depletes the body of all sorts of vitamins and minerals etc that affect our moods and it takes a while to get back to normal. Alot of people takes supplements for this reason too. Time will tell though you may want to see a doctor to help you through this difficult time.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said, a lot of people find a heightened sense of anxiety after they quit.
I had anxiety before I started drinking, but others find it a new thing once they get into recovery.

have you tried breathing exercises at all - they, and regular exercise, helped me the most.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...echniques.html (Breathing Techniques)
D
Old 04-01-2023, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had anxiety long before I started drinking. Not knowing how to manage anxiety, drinking seemed like a solution. However, before too long, drinking increased my anxiety. When I stopped drinking, my anxiety lessened, but it always with me. I do a better job of living with it now. Find out what helps your anxiety. For me, it's being outside walking, preferably near water. Music also helps, as does getting caught up in a good book.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

There are loads of anxiety treatments that don't involve a doctors care. I your anxiety hinders your daily life to the point you are having a hard time just to function daily, see a doctor.

Brief daily meditation and whatever daily mindfulness I can conger up, helps with my GAD. Journaling the circumstances when you feel anxious. The feeling you have at the time. Jot down what else you might add about the anxiety can help with an insight to your anxiousness.

Keep an active post here at SR for support and answers.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

"Irritable, restless and discontent" is how the big book of AA says we are unless we have a change of thought.....

I work the 12 steps of AA to help my anxiety.

I also found out I create my own anxiety, so I don't do that today.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had terrible anxiety when I quit.
For me,I chalked it up to the nature of the beast. My raw emotions were exposed and I had to learn how to deal with life again without being tranqualized. I'm thankful that it didn't last long for me.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a very similar experience - especially bad around 2 months after quitting, which took me by surprise. I'd been feeling anxiety building in the days where I was trying to moderate. It got worse after quitting. I regularly felt pure "fight or flight" fear / dread. It was like I was heading up to the top of a rollercoaster, just sat doing nothing. I was struggling to cope with even slightly stressful situations. I can remember almost breaking down, just from from being in a busy market with my kids. I also started wondering if I had an anxiety disorder, having never had one before.

I'm glad to say it slowly ebbed away. It got less intense and less frequent. It took months and the progress was almost imperceptibly slow, but I'm sat here at almost six months and I'm struggling to remember the last time I felt anxious. Hopefully the same will happen happen for you. Take it easy, be kind to yourself and ride it out. It will get better