Notices

Why I don’t miss the pub (U.K.) :)

Old 04-01-2023, 12:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Back in a W right now! It’s an airport one and surprising quiet! Airport Ws are usually rowdy, but the people don’t become “regulars” with a favourite seat 🤣

Coffee is £3.25! But it’s refillable so don’t worry about me getting my money’s worth. I even had the foresight to book a seat near the toilet 😁
Old 04-01-2023, 01:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What is a W? Is that a chain name?
Old 04-01-2023, 01:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
over hung over

I'm in Australia, and the early places survived here into the mid ninties. The justification being that they were for taxi drivers coming off shift.
Obviously I managed to find them.
Gone now.

Enjoy for threads, Hodd, interesting topics.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
What is a W? Is that a chain name?
W is an abbreviation of the name of the largest chain of pubs in the UK

Spoiler

^
spoilered for anyone who doesn't want to see the name.

They are found in just about every town and city in the UK. I would describe them as cheap and cheerful although they do have a reputation for attracting problem drinkers due to the fact that most open between 7am and 9am and close around 11pm to midnight and the price of alcohol is usually the lowest in the area..

One thing that is interesting about them is that they are often based in buildings that had a variety of uses. Post Offices, fire stations, cinemas, shops, churches, banks and a variety of other places that once would have served the community in a different way to a pub. Very few are based in building that were previously pubs. Despite that a number of them are furnished and decorated to very basic standards and offer little in the way of entertainment such as music - it helps keep overheads low!
Old 04-02-2023, 10:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is very interesting to read(along with Hodd's description of the incident itself and how well he handled it) as an American who has no idea(or not much) about British pub culture.

I was first appalled by the early openings, but I do remember, after I gave it some more thought, that there was a bar near me here in Pennsylvania that would also open early for drinkers, back in the late 80's. I was told about it by an older guy who worked for a road crew and if it rained he and his coworkers would just go there instead and drink at like 6 or 7AM.

Thinking about it now, I can't imagine how it was legal, as PA was pretty strict about hours booze could be sold, but maybe this was an illegal place. Or maybe this happens more than I know.

Anyway don't want to hijack the thread but again, it's a view into pub culture for this non-Brit.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ah yes....the early morning run. Different rules for buying/serving time all over the world and different times in each US state and within each US state (by county)...this was something studied more than the local language, exchange rate and custom. No matter the situation...we search for "the stuff". There's another chain in the UK...except it is a chain of small take-away convenience stores with the initial LW. They open at 0700 and I was always amazed that one could enter and buy a 350ml of vodka at the counter (not allowed at the auto checkout) with no one batting an eye. Here is a shop in the middle of a very high rent district near the Thames, in the middle of the week, everyone in their bespoke suits and college uniforms buying sticky buns and lunch and a bloke in a suit buys TWO bottles of vodka, conceals them in the side pockets of his backpack, pays with a card and departs in a unremarkable way. This in stark contrast to countries like Thailand where there are NO alcohol sales allowed until 11AM. UK is not alone, one can easily do the same in Tokyo...with even less eye contact and nothing but exceptional customer service at the counter -- all in Japanese. At least one UK hotel chain has installed a 24/7 vending machine (near the elevators) that sells wine and spirits (at robbery prices)...I've got to conclude they know how strong the craving can be...and they look to make a fast pound from it. I walk by these places now...opting for any other establishment that does not sell alcohol...I end up at some rather sketchy places where the less fortunate have occupied the seats rather than be on the streets...it reinforces my will. But for the grace of God go I. I think they should mount mirrors near alcohol displays....right at eye level....so the demon in our head will be less effective in the temptation.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

^ I lived in Thailand for year over twenty years ago. I wasn’t quite dependent on alcohol then, but I was a daily drinker. I remember there was a government election, and it was decreed than alcohol sales would stop for that day. The expat community were all asking what to do and where to go on that day for their booze. I’ve toyed with the idea of retiring to Thailand, but I’m not being judgemental in saying it attracts a certain class of expat who are never far from alcohol.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Expat Havens

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
^ I lived in Thailand for year over twenty years ago. I wasn’t quite dependent on alcohol then, but I was a daily drinker. I remember there was a government election, and it was decreed than alcohol sales would stop for that day. The expat community were all asking what to do and where to go on that day for their booze. I’ve toyed with the idea of retiring to Thailand, but I’m not being judgemental in saying it attracts a certain class of expat who are never far from alcohol.
No judgment at all...spent a lot of time in Thailand, Cambodia and Philippines. Beautiful countries with wonderful people...BUT even the US State Department (as well as foreign departments of other countries) have openly written about a certain (...and substantial) draw of expats who seek a very low cost lifestyle of behaviors that are less than tolerated in the west and some behaviors that are abhorrent. In Cambodia (use the dollar) everything was $1...including large 32oz beer (*****,******). The hard working local population would be out on mopeds 24/7 with ice cold beer offering to every visitor they saw. The expats bragged they knew where to get it for $.50cents. Mekong spirits also popular at $4 a bottle. Sadly, the introduction of investment into the remote areas has introduced large quantity production of rice wine...it has become a scourge for the impoverished population.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-07-2023 at 09:35 PM. Reason: see thread
Old 04-05-2023, 08:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

^ Yes, alcoholism isn’t just for expats. Thailand has a serious problem. It’s weird because I know some well-off Thais who follow a type of Buddhism that doesn’t really allow alcohol, and they’ve never drunk in their lives - lucky them.

As for expats, the retirement visa in Thailand is relatively easy to get and fairly cheap. Neighbouring countries are more expensive to retire to. Such expats still have to support themselves financially, and I wonder how sorted they are for medical insurance, etc., if all they can think about is their next drink.

I’ve also seen a few nasty expat characters in bars in Thailand. Such places are best avoided.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cool

I’ve also seen a few nasty expat characters in bars in Thailand. Such places are best avoided.
Oh yes....Nana district of Sukhumvit in Bangkok...open air bars that look like the bizarre scenes from movies Blade Runner & Total Recall. Frequented nightly by a core of "regulars" who are often American expats (quite often military enlisted pensioners) who buy more than ***** beer....clad in their jean shorts and tank tops and chain smoking endlessly. Not judging, but instead pointing out that it is so remarkably pitiful that the "brave" tourists walking by (who often wander into Nana from Wireless) take pictures and these expats mug it up for the camera (...very sadly treating the local workers in these bars as human "props"). Again -- there are no mirrors in these places and no souvenir photos because seeing yourself would want you to be sober. Similar to one of the opening scenes in the movie Officer and a Gentleman with Robert Loggia and Richard Gere. The stark sober reality of these scenes help remind us why we should not miss the pub (UK) or the Airline Lounge (worldwide) or the VFW post (US) or any other place that defaults to consumption of alcohol as the pre-text and where it is abundant, cheap and socially acceptable to be inebriated.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ha ha, I’m embarrassed to say I know of that place although I went as a tourist with my wife (Yes! It’s not that uncommon). When I lived/worked in Bangkok, it was best avoided as it’s a cul de sac, and the just passing through excuse doesn’t cut it.

The funny story include tourists stepping off a 20+ hour flight and heading straight to Nana. Despite not sleeping for 24 hours and having jet lag, they’ll down a few gallons of alcohol and a wake up with an empty wallet the next day swearing they must’ve been drugged and robbed 🤣

Where I am right now, OK, it’s the Philippines, has its similar areas, but I’m not even curious to go there. This could be the first time I’ve visited a new country and not set foot in a bar. My partner left hers years ago and is curious to see a bar. They might be going on their own 🙂

Old 04-07-2023, 02:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good for you, Hodd. I've lived in the Philippines and still spend winters there, since 2014, and have never even stepped into a bar, other than various eateries and resorts that might have a bar or serve alcohol onsite. Definitely no go-go bars, lol. Also have traveled to most of the neighboring countries. There is so much to see and do, and the food is so good (mostly) in those beautiful, exotic countries it amazes me to see the expats sitting around in bars getting wasted. and eating bar food. They also put themselves at greater risk, especially at night. Of course plenty of locals like their Red Horse too...

Enjoy your adventure, Hodd.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks adv, I’m travelling with a group of locals which has its own challenges 🤣 but I’m fairly used to Asian ways so haven’t lost my temper yet! The 3am starts, seven in a room, showering from a bucket, etc., doesn’t annoy me too much. I haven’t seen another “maputi” all week, and I can’t imagine being slumped in a bar full of them 😁
Old 04-07-2023, 07:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

And I’ve seen that brand of beer around, adv. I’m sure it tastes the same as the generic beer available in these countries. I’m not missing anything. I was asked to bring a bottle of red wine from the U.K., and I genuinely forgot - they’re not big drinkers. Five adults will share a bottle. I made “amends” by buying a bottle of the local stuff - they’re welcome to that 🤣

Old 04-07-2023, 09:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Cartman

I've asterisked your brand names of beer out. Some folks find it a trigger.

thanks

Dee
Admin,
SR
Old 04-07-2023, 10:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Enjoy for threads, Hodd, interesting topics.”

Belated thanks, pline, especially when my threads right now are rambling observations more like a travel journal 🤣 But I will say again that I frequently have to pinch myself how things mostly work out ok with long-term sobriety. I’d struggle to write anything remotely interesting back in my drinking days. Everything will improve when the drinking stops 🙂
Old 04-07-2023, 10:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks adv, I’m travelling with a group of locals which has its own challenges 🤣 but I’m fairly used to Asian ways so haven’t lost my temper yet! The 3am starts, seven in a room, showering from a bucket, etc., doesn’t annoy me too much. I haven’t seen another “maputi” all week, and I can’t imagine being slumped in a bar full of them 😁
Lol Hodd - you're a better man than I.. (and younger). I don't have as much stamina or patience for the hardships as I used to. Not many on here will understand exactly what you're having to deal with - the oppressive heat and humidity, the crowding, the primitive CR's and the non stop blah blah blah. Filipinos are very social people and used to all of that. Clearly you have a great attitude and lots of patience, my friend. You are setting the standard. Enjoy the adventure, and make lots of memories.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You missed off the photos, adv. I’ve been photographed more times this week than the Mona Lisa 🤣

As you can probably imagine, there have been similar trips elsewhere in the past where I wasn’t so patient, and I cringe looking back at those trips - alcohol or lack of was a big factor. I’ll be cringing with laugher looking back at this trip. The irony of all ironies is that my partner (aged 40+) hasn’t set foot in a pub ever here on their home country and wants to do so this trip. For me, that’s going to be the least memorable part - hopefully there’ll be some drunk obnoxious expat in there I can start a thread about 😁