Notices

‘Elephant in the room’ Weekenders 24 - 27 March 2023

Old 03-25-2023, 09:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Maybe that should be my goal this summer. I should pull out or tripod and mess around taking night time pictures. Although, it may be past my bedtime. lol
Old 03-25-2023, 12:43 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Be good to see your pics, Alpine.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:50 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've seen satellite pictures of the earth and there are so many bright spots. Thanks for the link Mesa. I will take a look at the locations and see if I can get there sometime to observe the night sky. Ck has a nice amateur telescope she got while in high school. I'd like to ask her to bring it so we can see planets and galaxies.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:11 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

[/url]

Nothing fancy, that is for sure.Took this a few years ago. Give me some time and I'll see if I can play around once I am feeling better.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:26 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s a clear picture Alpine. Much better than any of mine.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:34 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I think that the stars were more visible in my part of Florida when I was a kid.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:46 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ck called me a while ago and asked if I wanted to come over to their house and finish watching EEAAO and have dinner over there. . They are coming over soon to walk to the store to get some cat food and litter. It's easier on them if I go so I can lay the heavy box of litter on my walker seat and roll it home, rather than son in law carrying it.

Washed dishes last night and did a load of laundry and bedsheets today. They'll be dry when I get home and can make the bed.

I don't know what they'll want to have for dinner, but I like all the food that they like so can eat anything.

CB, I remember very well seeing really starry skies as a kid in the 50s. Not anymore.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:49 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Carl Sagan unveils the Pale Blue Dot image - YouTube

profound
Old 03-26-2023, 12:25 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love love love Carl Sagan. . His smarts and curiosity about the world around us was always refreshing and very positive, not counting the ominous warnings he gave us. Those weren't refreshing, but spoke the truth to those who have faith in science. If I live long enough to have another dog, I shall name him Carl Sagan, or, if it's a girl, Carla Sagan. . He is one of my heroes and favorite people, not only for the truths they told, but also they were really nice guys, kind and well mannered, truly civilized.

Another sober Saturday night in San Jose. . I'm really enjoying life in California. . Billie and Lily and Franny like it here too. I especially like living here cause ck and son in law are only four short blocks away, 4/10 mile. Billie gets really excited when I tell her we are going to visit ck and son in law and Jodie Pawster. . Billie wags her tail energetically and barks and goes to the door, like, let's go now! . When I was in the hospital and then at CedarCrest, Billie lived with them for at least a month and they took good care of her. . Billie has her own toy box there cause Jodie doesn't care much for dog toys and Billie loves them and has at least 27 at home.

But I really like the weather here. Sunny often and their winter wasn't too bad the last few months of it. And the healthcare system here is tops! . I also like all the different food I'm having from all the different cultural cuisines. . I want my beloved bro to visit me this summer for at least a week. I think he'd have a good time. There is lots of typical sight seeing, like going to SF for the day taking the CalTrain, which is a very cool way to transport large numbers of people. And just having him here for a week to chat and watch movies with would make me very happy. . I really miss his good company.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:43 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good Morning Weekenders

It's a sober Sunday. The clocks went forward by one hour at 1am this morning. It's the start of British Summer Time which probably explains why it's cold and wet outside

I'm heading out for a walk later this morning. I spent most of yesterday in the house and was getting a bit restless by mid afternoon. A restless mind isn't good for a recovering alcoholic. I normally spend Sundays lounging around the house but I'm going to keep myself busy today.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:40 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 175 (25 weeks).
Old 03-26-2023, 01:52 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 25 weeks RunnerF
Old 03-26-2023, 02:53 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thank you Robbie64. Much appreciated.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:15 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep going, RunnerF. . You're doing great so far.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:16 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Runnerf, almost six months! The six month mark was a huge mental milestone for me, partly because of a scene in a movie in which a character being played by Russell Brand was recieving his six month AA chip. It was the point at which I could see that this is actually happening, I've really quit drinking, and I have no desire to ever go back to that life or even drink a single beer ever again.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:33 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Runner, way to go!!
Least I am so very happy for you with being close to CK and enjoying sunshine. I hope your brother does come to visit you
Doing as well as I can in my little corner of the world. Boy was it windy last night and this morning. Sounds like a train coming through.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:39 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Awesome job Runner!
Old 03-26-2023, 01:53 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Well done, RunnerF. As Cityboy mentions, 6 Months in was a big mental deal for me, too. Just because. No logic to it. A good bit of succeeding is believing we can. For an initial period when my Spouse was uncertain about how to roll with the newly-sober me, I had no choice but to believe in myself. So, I did. Choices are easy when there aren't any.

East of San Francisco, on the eastern flank of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, is Mammoth Mountain. Setting some Records this Year. The Ski Resort there had to close. Too much Snow. I had to alter my driving route this last CA trip, but due mostly to Rain flooding a few Roads to the South.

Mammoth Mountain CA Snow Pix
Old 03-26-2023, 02:33 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Finally got to sleep. Woke up late with Billie snuggled against me.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:52 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

That's quite a lot of snow MesaMan!