Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How’s your sober tools this weekend? Weekenders 10-13 March 2023

Notices

How’s your sober tools this weekend? Weekenders 10-13 March 2023

Old 03-14-2023, 08:27 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Sometimes a burger and fries at McDonald's is just the right thing. Congratulations, Robbie.
I hope things go/went ok for you PJ. You're a good person, and you deserve good things in your life. We all do!
Alpine, I hope you can get through your current challenges ok. It must be very worrying.

I'm under the weather for the fist time since I had covid last summer. This is just a bit of a cold, I think. What's sad is that it is spring break, so I could take a day or two off to do fun things for a change, but I might be using sick time instead. I'm working from home today, and getting some things done, so if I feel better tomorrow, I might actually take a day off and go to the art museum or something.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:05 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Finally got to sleep last night. So glad I'm sober. . That's one big problem I don't have.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:20 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 months Robbie!
Old 03-14-2023, 04:19 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get well soon MLD

congrats on 2 months Robbie
Old 03-14-2023, 07:09 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 2 months Robbie

calmself great run! Congratulations on 484+

PJ, enjoy your time with your family. Live in the present, it’s very precious.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:27 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Woot woot,Robbie!🎉🎊♥️🤓

It’s all mental from here……

You have achieved sobriety before, now comes the next stretch……the L. O. N. G. S. T. R. E. T. C. H……..

I got to 14 months in 2019, and confused abstinence with control. HUGE mistake. Took 26 months to gather the listening to my silenced, dying soul to hear it beg me to stop, to convince me I CAN DO THIS.

Some days, I sat on my hands.
Some days, I had a burst of optimism and got all KINDS of things accomplished.
Sometimes I worried about what others might think at the party, at dinner, at the function
Sometimes when I wasn’t feeling too strong in my resolve to stay stopped, I read, watched a movie, took a shower, watched you tube documentaries on drunks and alcohol, I’d Google liver disease……BUT, THOSE DAYS, I DID NOT GO to functions that had alcohol.

Very rarely now, time goes slowly.

Most of the time, I’m happy to report, the days are FLYING by! Counting my days and weeks are turning to months. Sure, I post on the day counting thread occasionally, and it’s fun to see cool numbers, but that daily need for me, thank goodness, isn’t there as much as it was, because my focus is living my new life as it develops.

I’m trying to say, it gets easier. It really does.

For me, the self hatred is horrendous, the price is too much to pay to take that first sip, and I’ll never know when I’ll have enough fortitude to stop again.

Hugs and prayers to all the weekenders, whether you are just reading and not posting, or you are a “regular”.

🤓♥️
Old 03-14-2023, 10:34 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags!!

Great post, Free. It took a long while for me to understand why the first drink is the gateway to hell. It's never the last drink - used to blame for my hangovers. Similarly moderation was a big chore that left me unsatisfied and ever in anticipation of the next drinking day. Happy those days are past now.

Ran 7K today in 48 minutes thought I paced it well. Good night from Seattle.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:37 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

My mood swings have considerably reduced in the last few months. Used to be like say something, regret later. I am feeling much better and in control these days touch wood.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:15 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was drinking I was always depressed. Now my mood is stable and mostly upbeat. (I'm on antiDs too, which helps). Most of my depression was due to either being drunk, getting drunk, or recovering from being drunk. . It was no way to live and I'm so grateful I'm sober.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:15 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Yes, being mindful and in the now is something I done with okayment. BUT the degree of physical disfigurment is such all I needs to is look in the mirror. No complaints. Being dead isn't fun....it messes up one's appetite.

Met son/DIL/grandson. It went well. I kept a migraine aura at bay. I made sure to show (authentic) interest in their lives/plans. Won't post bub pic....looks like a baby. But a very good beginning. Roxy is unhappy at being left home. She discovered baby smell. Early days.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:17 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Tried going to bed a couple hours ago but the itching kept me awake, along with the foot pain that seems to have come back. . Going to try again shortly.

PJ, glad you got your meet and greet. Hope there's anther visit in the future.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:00 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Free, great post and thanks to all for your best wishes.

PJ, I'm glad everything went well.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:24 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

PJ, pleased the meet with new grandbaby and family went well.

Free love your post. I went through similar feelings.

Frosty cold start here. The sun’s come out though so hopefully soon be melted.

Just had my grocery delivery. Ordered some chocolate Brazil nuts for Mil for Mother’s Day this Sunday but they sent an alternative. I’ll have to pop to B&M see if they’ve got any

Have a good day. Love to all Weekenders xxxx
Old 03-15-2023, 04:06 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Mags, I hope you have luck finding the chocolate Brazil nuts.

While meeting with a contractor from out of town yesterday, we found that we had a mutual friend who he sees occasionally now, but I knew him from school and haven't seen him in about 20 years. He described him exactly as I remember him and I thought about how people's personality doesn't change. I think that quitting alcohol is an exception to that rule though. I feel like my personality has changed somewhat since I quit, and may still be changing. To risk going instantly back to all of that on the off chance that I would be able to manage it this time, not a chance.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:00 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm going to whine a little - I'm still sick. I don't have covid, just a bad cold. It's spring break and I was supposed to finally get a day or two off to have fun. Instead, I'm stuck at home with a pile of used tissues. I'm getting some work done, so I guess that's a plus, but I wanted to go to the art museum today or tomorrow to see a special exhibit, and that's not going to happen. Maybe by Friday I can do it. Here's hoping.

I remember in early sobriety (actually for several years) I'd feel so guilty calling in sick to work. Because I did it so often when I was drinking. I got sober a couple of months after getting my current job, and I didn't call in sick ever, so there is no history of me missing a bunch of work here. But I could not shake that feeling that people would think I was faking sick. As a result, I went into work sick when I should not have. I don't have that guilt anymore, I call in sick when I need to. Thankfully, I really don't get sick often, now that I generally take better care of myself. My man friend has this particular cold right now, too. One of us picked it up somewhere and brought it to the other.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 164.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:02 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hope you feel better soon MLD.

I've been sleeping much of the day. But at least I had Billie to snuggle with me.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:16 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Feel better soon, MLD.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:38 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hope you’re soon better Marty.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:40 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ch-2023-a.html (Web of Deceit ~ Weekenders 17 - 20 March 2023)