Notices

Mom

Old 03-03-2023, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Mom

My son died from a meth overdose a year ago shortly after he left 30-day treatment. I believe that the treatment center he was at did not properly address his co-occurring disorders of anxiety, depression, ADHD, and possibly bi-polar. Nor do I think he was in treatment long enough. He saw a psychologist only once during his stay and was put in numerous group classes that were difficult for him because of his ADHD, and he stated that the same info was repeated over and over. His 2 psychiatrist online visits were basically med checks and did not delve into any analysis of his mental health disorders. I now have a nephew that has similar problems, but I no longer trust treatment centers and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Are there good ones out there? Thank you.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm very sorry for the loss of your son. It sounds like your son did not get the treatment he would have like.

Not all treatment centers are the same. I'd suggest asking your nephew to call around and ask specific questions at each place he would consider going to. That way he will be able to get a feeling for a place that would work for him.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear about your son
Old 03-03-2023, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Losing a child is one of the hardest things anyone can face. I'm sorry. I've never been to a treatment center, so I can't help much.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry, mnsnowflake.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Condolences son's loss

I had rehab that included 30 day impatient. 60 day inpatient with freedom to go to work and check back into rehab each night to sleep/live, 6 months living in a sober house with outpatient treatment. A total of 9 months in a rehab environment.

9 - 12 month rehab program might be the best to look for your nephew.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome mnsnowflake. I'm very sorry for the painful time you have been through.

I agree that a longer stay is necessary in most cases. I hope your nephew will find a place that will suit his situation.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m very sorry for your loss mnsnowflake.

D
Old 03-03-2023, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry mnsnowflake. I live in Australia, so can't recommend any 'good' rehabs. Thin on the ground everywhere imo.

My own experience is that they are pretty hard to find. Does your nephew have co-occurring conditions similar to your son? If so, you would need to ask any potential service whether they treated people with a 'dual diagnosis'. That is, alcohol and other drugs, as well as a mental health condition. Notoriously difficult to treat, as well as ridiculously underfunded by govts. Willingness on the part of the 'patient' paramount.

Does your nephew want rehab, or are you grieving, and seek it for him following loss of your son? Again, I am so very sorry. I cry with you.

Your nephew has to want it mns.

I think Zencat's suggestions are good, and think you need to shop around. Ask questions. Dual diagnosis? After care? Extended stay? Support within the community following discharge.

And he needs to put in the work, not have an expectation that rehab is going to be the magic bullet, no matter what the service offers. Within reason of course. Some ARE really lousy.

You have just lost a son mnsnowflake, I hope you don't take this on as being your responsibility because it's not. It is up to your nephew to get well. Support is important, but it is not your job to save him. I speak from experience, though from a different angle.

Look after yourself mnsnowflake, and I truly hope your nephew finds within himself the ability and willingness to get well irrespective of services available. I hope he finds one he likes though. . And ask all of the questions you need answered out of any potentials.

And take good care of yourself. Always.

Old 03-04-2023, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Condolences son's loss

I had rehab that included 30 day impatient. 60 day inpatient with freedom to go to work and check back into rehab each night to sleep/live, 6 months living in a sober house with outpatient treatment. A total of 9 months in a rehab environment.

9 - 12 month rehab program might be the best to look for your nephew.
Thank you for sharing. I also did 30 day in-patient, then entered 12 week outpatient and 8 months in sober living. I'm a firm believer in rehab treatment but in reality, 30 days is not enough to get someone clean and sober. Getting sober is easy the part for many, including myself, but the long walk ahead, having to deal with life, family, emotions et cetera with a sober mind for the first time is what makes us relapse.

All in all, if a person is not ready to get sober and learn to stay sober, all the money in the world will not save that person, and even then, we lose people everyday that gave 100% to stay sober.