Notices

Tired of this habit. Excited to Quit.

Old 08-22-2023, 02:53 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CF2023 View Post
All is going well except for my nerves. I can't stop worrying that I have hurt my liver. A decade of 3-6 drinks per night is well above what it claims it takes to possibly cause serious liver damage.

I really never thought too much about this. I knew what I was doing was not good for me, but I always told myself how at least I'm not 100lbs overweight, at least I get some physical exercise, plenty of people don't eat what the health experts say they should for their whole lives and have no major consequences. I'm causing myself to lose sleep and depriving myself of enjoying this new norm for me. I wasn't missing work, waking up with bad hangovers daily, or anything that would come with consuming more alcohol so I tried to justify it in my head as harmless.

I hope my next liver test, in a few days shows the levels are in the normal range then hopefully I can quit stressing about this. I'm scared they won't and then it will snowball from there. I doubt 9 days is enough to bring down my levels, although the ALT was in the normal range (towards the top, but still normal) my AST was 9 points above the max normal. (still 10 pts lower than ALT though).

Again thank you all for the support.

You did the right thing going to your Dr and getting checked out and we are all proud that you made that choice!! Thank goodness the Liver is an amazing organ capable of healing. My numbers were horrible awhile back. I was easily drinking double what you were daily. They are now back to normal and where they should be. Obviously, everyone is different, but maybe that can provide a little peace of mind. Best of luck to you on your journey!!!
Old 08-22-2023, 06:08 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Alcohol also causes anxiety.
It makes me catastrophize, for instance.
For no other reason than my AV doesn't want me to be sober.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:33 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CF2023 View Post
You are right that I need to nip this in the bud. Im done trying to moderate. Although I was "successfully" moderating the last few months I know it is a very slippery slope for me. I also realized I wasn't missing out on anything special. Maybe I am making too big of a deal out of not divulging my prior history with alcohol with my doctor.

I just want to put all of this behind me, and be happy about my sobriety. That is what I am going to try to do.
Thanks, CF. none of us like “lecturing” others 🤣 I really can’t emphasise enough, though, how relatively easy it was to quit once “moderation” is stopped. The occasionally/weekly/binge drinking really messes with our heads and keeps those cravings at the forefront. I’m coming up to 5 years sober, but if I had a few beers today, I’d be craving like crazy this time tomorrow. There’s no shame in admitting defeat against alcohol.

When I ‘fessed up to my GP, their face actually lit up. They’d probably had a few patients that day with poor lifestyle choices, but here was someone being proactive with their health. You’ll make your GP’s day. I really don’t see insurance as an issue, and let’s be brutally honest, you’ll be living longer and better. Good luck again 🙂
Old 08-23-2023, 08:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Went to the Dr. Today as I started having some abdominal pain... Obviously I feared the worst. Just some lingering stool. Took a CT scan of my abdomen and all is well. Liver looks normal, kidneys normal, gall bladder, spleen, you name it all fine. Labs fine.

It's time I put this health anxiety behind me! I think I finally can after being told all looks well. No place in my life for alcohol, never again can I face this stress.

Thanks again for all the support!
Old 08-24-2023, 03:39 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Glad to hear CF.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:52 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Well done, CF. Confronting (for want of a better word) my GP about my drinking was the beginning of the end of my drinking days. I still had a few hoops to jump through, but I’d quit around four months later (end of 2018) and stayed quit.

It’s funny although slightly irritating that when I see my GP now, they ask if I’m drinking again. I don’t think they believe I’m still sober. I’m slim and active so it’s somewhat disrespectful on their part, but it shows how often patients have tried to hide their drinking. My GP can think what they like. I know I’m sober 🙂 Well done again, CF
Old 08-24-2023, 01:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
It’s funny although slightly irritating that when I see my GP now, they ask if I’m drinking again. I don’t think they believe I’m still sober.
It's kind of a zero confidence response, with a no win outcome. If you're not drinking again, it's insulting. If you are drinking again, it's humiliating and embarrassing. There must be a positive scenario here, but I can't think of what that would be at the moment.

.......OK, now that I'm thinking about this, my GP would phrase it something on the order of, "How are you doing with the alcohol?" It's just a simple inquiry without the hidden assumption. It would give me a chance to take advantage of my bragging rights, and get a nod of approval at the same time.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:27 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

My doctor's office has a questionnaire that is filled out yearly and on that form it asks specifically about level of alcohol and recreational drug intake.

It annoys me more that the nurse in the pre-interview always asks verbally if I use marijuana. That question is on the form and I just answered it!

I do have out-of-range liver numbers though...and every year she emails me the results and then says, "Cut back on alcohol."

What number is lower than, "none?"

I think they are just assuming that patients don't tell the whole truth or they just don't take the time to look at the questionnaire. I can understand that.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:28 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I think they are just assuming that patients don't tell the whole truth or they just don't take the time to look at the questionnaire. I can understand that.
Funny story. I've had that happen. Maybe it's just a boilerplate letter they send out. My current doctor always gives me a hand full of printed material describing that day's visit, and maybe some findings from earlier test results, but much of it is boilerplate. Although all I can remember is that it always advises me to eat more chicken, fish, and nuts. There's more, but I just remember those three things.

Maybe the nurse simply can't imagine that some people just don't drink ever. Both you and I can understand where that mindset might come from.
Old 08-26-2023, 10:14 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

It's kind of a zero confidence response, with a no win outcome. If you're not drinking again, it's insulting. If you are drinking again, it's humiliating and embarrassing. There must be a positive scenario here, but I can't think of what that would be at the moment.
What actually happened was I needed a form signed for a life insurance form. I thought it’d be a slight waste of my GP’s time, but it had to be done. I brought along a recent private fibroscan report showing all was well and my liver was “fat free” - I reasoned that a heavy drinker would have such a glowing report. It’s not that the GP didn’t believe me, but they did say “ok, I’m just typing what you’re telling me”, which implied that I could’ve said anything! They could’ve added a “well done” which would’ve changed my opinion totally, but I didn’t worry too much about it. As I said, GPs will see their share of heavy drinkers and smokers who claim to have given up. I’d still 100% recommended seeing a GP for anyone struggling with drinking. It was the catalyst for me 🙂
Old 08-28-2023, 12:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

How’s it going, CF?

In the past, I’d had a clean bill of health from the doc and saw it as a green light to continue drinking. The upshot is I pretty much wiped out my 40s. I’m not saying you’ll do the same, but hopefully you’ll learn from other’s mistakes 🙂