Notices

One year.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well done Soldier M1. Busy rebuilding a new life free of drink, Ace's bro.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 02-16-2023, 05:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations!
Old 02-18-2023, 06:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you everyone.

The fact that it took me two days to get back to this goes to show how crazy my life is lately. I work, I'm in school for the next four years so I spend the majority of my free time studying. And then I always make sure to make time to spend with my girlfriend. It's not easy, and I often feel tired and exhausted, but I'm putting in the daily work that is going to pay big dividends later on.

I've heard many sober veterans on here over the years warn against taking on too much in early sobriety. And I completely agree with and appreciate this advice. I'm also not sure if there is a firm definition of "early sobriety." When does early sobriety end and the rest of sobriety begin? After three months? Six months? One year? Five years?

I just know that since my alcoholism started to really take over my life 13 years ago, this is the first time I've made it to a year, and that last drink feels like an eternity ago. I also know I'm 36 years old -- still fairly young but starting to feel the effects of age creeping into certain areas of my life. I'm with the person I'm going to marry, and I want to build a happy life with her before our youth is long gone. She's a successful business owner, and I'm at square one. So it's now or never for me to bust by ass to get the ball rolling.

For those who might be worried that I am taking on too much, I will say I still apply the same tactics I have every single day for the last year to keep my beast at bay. Like I've said before, I like to apply the saying, "The wolf is always pacing outside the door" to my sobriety. If I let my guard down for one second, I could be consumed once again by that savage beast of alcoholism. The AV still rears its ugly head from time to time, and I am still ready for it every time, and I kick it straight to the curb.

I also have been making efforts to reduce the stress by swallowing my pride and accepting help from others (something that's not easy for me to do). This is allowing me to drastically cut back on how much I have to work and can focus on my studies without running myself dry. I'm hoping also, as I said in my OP, that this will allow me to get back to being more active on SR soon.

Thanks again and be well guys
Old 02-18-2023, 09:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats MNS on one year. Sounds like you have a good attitude. Keep going. And don't forget to practice self care whenever you can. Exercise is great for so many reasons!
Old 02-18-2023, 12:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats on your year Mns1! Amazing ❤️
Old 02-18-2023, 01:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

One year is amazing. Great job!
Old 02-18-2023, 07:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 02-19-2023, 05:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congratulations!