Notices

Does anyone remember?

Old 02-15-2023, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Does anyone remember?

Hey all, it's been a long time since I have posted to SR! I wonder how many members I know are still here?

I remember what a source of support this recovery community was for me. I came here initially just to lurk, and to check out some stickies in the marijuana forum, but wanted to see if
any old friends were here.

I'm happy to share that drinking is no longer a problem for me - harm reduction + intensive psychotherapy are what worked for me.

Several years ago when weed became legal in my country, I began experimenting with it, and now smoke throughout the day, all day. I struggle with quitting but very much want to. I'm around it all the time because my adult daughter smokes and I am living with her for a couple of months.

I am finally contemplating quitting, and maybe I can do it this time with some planning as well as support.

Rowan
Old 02-15-2023, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi Rowan, I remember you! . Good to see you again.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rowan, It's good to see you again.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rowan - it’s good to see you again

D
Old 02-15-2023, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well - so nice to see the familiar names.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rowan - I sure do remember you. Happy you posted.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Good to see you again!
Old 02-15-2023, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my opinion weed is a completely different animal then alcohol. At least the way weed effects me, my experience. Once I touch alcohol thats it. I am no longer me, I become a drunk twin of me that is crazy. Since I am no longer ME after beginning to drink there is no way for ME to slowly step down.

I smoked weed everyday for a long time and it always easily made me stupid. I had many other on and off periods of using weed during my active alcoholism. Many times from my drunk twin getting a bag then I would be stuck with it when I came to and would figure why waste it. I am runner with an insane lung capacity so maybe that's a factor. For me the amount of time I held in a hit was a huge factor. Especially with lower tolerance at a time I could get really high holding in just one hit for a long time. So I would step down. Maybe just taking like 2 quick, inhale immediate exhale hits just once per day for a day or two. Then just 1 little hit a day for a couple days.

The first time I quit I just stopped buying it. I had a bunch of resin in my bowls and a bit of a roach collection. (Not sure if people outside of America use that term for remainder of a joint, a bone, a doob, a marijuana cigarette). I always had that for an emergency supply because this was back when it was illegal. Once my emergency supply was gone I stopped smoking.... until every now and then my drunk twin would want to smoke weed. It was strange how my twin went for years at a time without cocaine and months between weed cravings. I never could control or predict him. In the end the cocaine binges were much more frequent and thats what led to me getting sober.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Interesting RD.

Not really my experience though.
In my story I've found weed and alcohol to be two manifestations of the same problem: addiction.

The substances were interchangeable and the real problem is/was me?

D
Old 02-16-2023, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't used weed except for twice maybe 30 years ago, and I'm not at all tempted to start using it now, so I have no worries about it. And yet I'm surrounded by people who say it's amazing. (Mostly clients where I work.) I'm inundated with messages about how weed is great, and about now many problems it solves, etc. I'm not curious about the positive effects of weed, so please don't feel a need to enumerate those, but I am really curious about why people want to stop.

Rowan, you said you want to stop. Why? Maybe it would help both of us if you let me know. It would help my curiosity, and it might help you be more resolute in your decision if you listed your reasons for thinking it's better for you to stop.

I know everyone's experience is different, so I won't assume you (or anyone else who answers my question) is speaking for all weed users. But what is it about continued use that's bad? What does weed do that's harmful to your life? And when you stop, do you feel cravings like people crave alcohol? Do you feel "worse than normal" without it in your system? If you were unable to smoke for a few days (on a business trip, or you were in the hospital, or something like that where you absolutely couldn't have any), what would happen?

The downsides of alcohol are very clear to me, in contrast, having been there, and done that, as it were.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Rowan, I know the struggle all to well I am afraid. I think you were around before me. I first logged on to this site around 2018 to find support in my first BIG attempt to kick weed, after some 25 years of daily use.

There’s a dedicated marijuana section on the forum now, maybe back then as well? Traffic is a little slow but maybe we can change that

Radix: interesting questions. For years and years I never had the urge to stop. It wasn’t bothering me at all. Slowly I started noticing that I kept making promises with myself that I didn’t keep. Quitting proved to be very difficult for me, it still is. I have been trying for a couple of years now and I keep relapsing. I don’t have the time right now but if I get to it, I’ll try and write out what my experiences are. You could also head over to the marijuana section and read a couple of threads there that have a lot of posts. That should give you an idea
Old 02-17-2023, 03:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Double post
Old 02-17-2023, 04:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Rowan! I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me, I had only ever tried weed once or twice as a teenager and didn't like it - but I started using it around the time it became legal in Canada - you know what they say about too much of a good thing, right? In the beginning, weed helped me with my mental health, but I eventually began smoking daily, maybe 5-6 grams. It helped me to sleep and it helped to pass the time when I was unable to work, and now it's been about five years of daily use. My therapist believes that weed is far less destructive than alcohol, and while I would agree, it doesn't mean its harmless. I have taken tolerance breaks but always returned to the weed after a few days, and I cannot stand how it makes me smell, look and feel. It has been 24 hours now without any weed, and I'm a bit anxious about sleeping tonight, but otherwise I am relieved to have gotten through the day. I will def check out the weed forum on here, because I'm sure I am going to need some support this next little bit.