Notices

Antabuse question

Old 02-05-2023, 05:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey, Donny I worked in the recovery world too. 11 years teaching hospital. Got burnt out.

I think we must have got our wires crossed, or I've expressed myself badly. I don't have a problem (at all) with the use of medications in early recovery. All I said, was I decided not to use it. But that's just me.

No problem with methadone in the early days, either.

Not one bit am I opposed Donny.

I'm sorry if I didn't express myself properly.

People have said to me how I can be an alcoholic, but still have worked in recovery world. My son piped up for me once, and said, "just because you're a real estate agent, doesn't mean you have to own a house". Thank you, my son. ❤️
Old 02-05-2023, 06:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Hey, Donny I worked in the recovery world too. 11 years teaching hospital. Got burnt out.

I think we must have got our wires crossed, or I've expressed myself badly. I don't have a problem (at all) with the use of medications in early recovery. All I said was I decided not to use it. But that's just me.

No problem with methadone in the early days either.

Not one bit am am I opposed Donny.

I'm sorry if I didn't express myself properly.

People have said to me how I can be an alcoholic, but still have worked in recovery world. My son piped up for me once and said, "just because you're a real estate agent, doesn't mean you own a house".
No worries. Communication is tricky sometimes in this virtual world. Have a good night

Old 02-05-2023, 06:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You too, Donny. Sleep tight.

- Steely x
Old 02-05-2023, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think I totally screwed it Donny. And I am sorry.

It's about keeping the person alive in those early days as was pointed out by Zen Cat in article he posted.

So, no problems here.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No worries :-)
Old 02-11-2023, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Still haven't drank anything, but having a hell of a time trying to figure out the best way to get a prescription. Been doing a bunch of research and antabuse sounds pretty harsh on the body. Also as a chef use vinegars and cooking wines. Apparently even the vapors steaming off can give you a reaction. Alcohol is mostly cooked out while boiling but it would mean me never really being able to taste anything that has any wine in it just in case their is a trace of alcohol left. If I'm on a charter with people paying 100 k for a weeks vacation I can't really take the risk of all of a sudden being violently ill and down for the count. Also on yachts we don't use all purpose cleaners or anything with bleach while cleaning and sanitizing. I use a spray bottle with cleaning of isprote alcohol and water. When I spray a whole counter top to wipe down their is vapors in the air, enough to make me cough sometimes.

I decided on naltrexone, but I'm reading horror stories of people getting denied for insurance for health future issues or when applying for new insurance policies getting completely rejected. Based on the type of medicine it is as an opiod blocker and for AUD addiction treatment. It's considered a pre-existing condition and high risk for the insurance companies. As most people know in the USA, Insurance companies have full time employees where their sole purpose is to find any reason or loophole to deny claims.

I actually have good worldwide insurance through my job but am afraid to use it. I also read that even though you might not use your insurance to see the doctor for your prescription, It's actually the pharmacies databases the has your prescription records and thats what the companies use to get their records. It's the internet so you never know what actually true. But did read life insurance is even harder to get if not impossible if you are on these meds or have been in the last 5-10 years.

At this point I'm even looking at pharmacies online in Canada or Mexico that don't require a prescription from a doctor. But there is a risk involved of them being completely fake websites that just take your money,the pills being fake and not knowing what they are. I know obamacare can't deny you for preexisting conditions but obomacare seemed like a joke when I looked into it years ago. It's great if your on welfare but ridiculous deductibles and not really designed for people who actually have a decent job. The whole healthcare system in the US is a joke. Basically with addiction your damned if you do and your damned if you don't. Instead of taking care of the issue and getting the physical and mental help you need you get punished for it. Guess its better for them to just drink yourself to death and die before your 50
Old 02-11-2023, 11:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have a no politics rule here I’d like us all to keep, thanks.

The bottom line here is CCyou’re probably going to be disappointed with any med you self medicate with and buy without prescription. You might even find yourself in some level of danger.

I don’t think you’re on to a winner with this kind of thinking.

D
Old 02-11-2023, 12:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I’m never convinced by the insurance argument, chef. I’m in the UK and took out a life insurance policy a few years back. The thing is I’d previously ‘fessed up my GP about my drinking, had (limited) counselling and (limited) medication. I say limited because it was literally one counselling session and a few weeks of Campril. Nevertheless it was on my medical records, so I reasoned if I died of an illness and hadn’t declared my drinking, the policy mightn’t pay out. I had to go through a few hoops, but in the end it made no difference to the premiums or the cover.

To be blunt, medical insurance might not be worth a great deal if someone is drinking to excess. Some medical conditions will be directly linked to drinking, and an insurance company may well baulk at paying up.

It’s far better for your health and quality of life to get this addiction under control. You’ll be way healthier and less likely to need that medical insurance. Going under the radar isn’t the way. I hope you get it sorted, chef. All the best.