SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/461882-hello.html)

Offthemast 01-27-2023 07:49 PM

Hello

I just wrote a long introduction and it did not post. Lost in the ethers! Ha. Anyway I been around for short spurts in the past but for reasons concerning my health it is go time.

It's been go time for a decade but pancreas issues have forced my hand.

Looking forward to the journey. SR has always been a loving, encouraging place w a trove of great info.

KTB5000 01-27-2023 08:26 PM

Welcome glad you're here

I've too lost plenty of posts in the ether! :)

Purplrks3647 01-27-2023 09:23 PM

Welcome, Offthemast! :wave:

:welcome

least 01-27-2023 09:31 PM

You made a wise decision when you decided to stop drinking. :)

Mummyto2 01-27-2023 10:43 PM

I can't post either but Dee said they are doing some things to the site, welcome, lots of support here for you.

Britbird80 01-27-2023 11:03 PM

Hi Offthemast, great place for support here, stick around.

aasharon90 01-28-2023 01:42 AM

Welcome ..!!!!

Alpine 01-28-2023 04:04 AM

:wavey:

DriGuy 01-28-2023 05:00 AM

Welcome.

The son of my old girlfriend was hospitalized with alcoholic pancreatitis. I didn't even know he had a drinking problem until that time. He had a horrible time in the hospital going for 5 days strapped to his bed without alcohol. That was in addition to the suffering from the pancreatitis. When he stopped hallucinating, the doctors told him he and two options, "Quit drinking or die." He did eventually quit, but he kept drinking for awhile, while failing to prove to himself he was not all that bad. He finally gave up, and for the first time in his life has been doing surprisingly well. He gave up his part time job at the liquor store, and joined the Navy, got married, and his mother no longer supports him. As far as I know, he doesn't drink anymore. Although I lost track of him over 5 years ago. It was a abrupt and dramatic change. Kind of a classic success story.

I've heard many people say if they hadn't quit, they would now be dead. People say things that are sometimes true, and sometimes just said for effect, but make no mistake, alcohol kills, and not just from drunk driving, and it can happen at a very early age.

It's a shame to wait for an emergency or near death experience before you quit, especially when sobriety is so much better than being a perpetual drunk. And that is an understatement. I never realized how joyful life could be. It really beats being drunk by miles and miles. We get ourselves trapped and start to believe there is no point in being sober for the rest of our lives. What a sad misunderstanding that is.

VikingGF 01-28-2023 09:53 AM

It's good you are here AND excited for the journey- finding my sobriety was the best thing I have ever done for myself and has significantly improved my quality of life and my health. Welcome back, Offthemast.

Hevyn 01-28-2023 11:22 AM

Happy to see you, Offthemast.

I'm so glad you've made this life changing decision. For me, knowing I wasn't alone anymore made all the difference. Joining SR relieved my anxiety about giving up something I'd been relying on for decades. Everyone understands what you're going through. Welcome back.

Steely 01-28-2023 11:40 AM

Hello, Offthemast. :)

Robbie64 01-28-2023 12:05 PM

Welcome back to SR Offthemast :)

Offthemast 01-28-2023 02:14 PM

Thank you for the kind responses. And thank you driguy for the thoughtful post

Got diagnosed in late August but pain started well before. I just drank to mask the pain. Dr said it was the most inflamed she had seen and she would recommend never drinking again/ Of course I quit...for a little while. I've probably drank 5 times since August but this last week I went off the handle a bit. 2 blackout episodes hanging w friends and really a dangerous and absolutely crazy drunk night last Wed. I'm 44.
When I drink I don't like to stop. It will kill me or land me in jail eventually.

I cannot afford to drink. That is it.

Worried14 01-28-2023 02:33 PM

Glad you came back to SR OfftheMast :)

Offthemast 01-28-2023 02:50 PM

The last few months have been so miserable and painful. Not being able to eat anything fatty. Still can't. Waiting for my pancreas to heal. I think it went on so long to let me see what halfway sobriety was like.

I'm now interested in recovery. Not just sobriety. The fear of setting my body back by just saying the heck w it and drinking is ruining me. This whole thing has affected my life and job. I held onto the belief I would just drink on vacations or w old friends. Can't do it. I've tal
ken trips w church groups overseas (Cambodia, Turkey, Cuba) and those sober trips were so much better than the drunken excursions to Caribbean or beach. Also ws sober during Thanksgiving and Christmas this year and it was fine.

I've just got to rule it out completely bc I got so wasted last week something really bad coulda happened. I'm lucky a bruised ego and a few pissed off drinking buddies/co workers was as bad as it got.

Zencat 01-28-2023 03:02 PM

Welcome back to SR Offthemast. Good on you for working a recovery program of your choice. stick with it and good things may come to you,

Dee74 01-28-2023 03:11 PM

Welcome offthemast :)

D

Offthemast 01-28-2023 03:16 PM

Thanks guys. I'll be joining the Feb class.

Dee74 01-28-2023 03:40 PM

You can join the January Class right now - why wait? :)

D