Notices

CT scan results …. Anyone else has these?

Old 01-27-2023, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

CT scan results …. Anyone else has these?

Hello everyone really looking for some advice. I’m 38 and have drank a bottle of wine per day for 3 years. I banged my head last Saturday and have been to the hospital today to check out the lump that has formed. I’ve had a ct scan that has shown involutinary changes “shrinkage” that shouldn’t be there for my age. I’m past myself with worry thinking I’m going to end up with dementia/Alzheimer’s 😭 I’ve got two small children and I’m imagining them looking after me. I know I need to cut back/stop drinking and this is the thing that has made it clear. Has anyone else had results like this before I’m going out of my mind with worry ..anxiety is through the roof. X
Old 01-27-2023, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Happy67

I haven’t had this but understand how you feel. I have drank far too much wine over the years and have abdominal pain now and nail discolouration. Too scared to go to the doctors but am officially off the alcohol. Still very early days. So scared it’s too late to reverse any of it or stop it carrying on
Old 01-27-2023, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sunny, did your doctor talk to you about the 'shrinkage', what caused it and what does it mean going forward? Sometimes worrying is far worse than the reality of the situation.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sunny

like Anna says you really need a doctor to run through the results with you, although if the doctors at the hospital said nothing to you that’s probably a good sign there’s not too much to worry about.

I fell a lot when drinking too and, for me, the falls got worse and more frequent.

Dont kid yourself Sunny - this is not a cutback or quit choice.

If you want to be healthy and be there for your kids growing up, there really is only one real choice, yeah?

I know change is scary, but sometimes change is good, too

you’ll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 01-27-2023, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Sunny.

It's best to be honest with your doc about your lifestyle habits. Many issues that are alcohol induced can resolve with continued long term (life-term) sobriety. Hang around and keep us all updated.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sunny,

I had a CT scan and I had a similarly anxiety inducing results. My drinking has led to shrinkages which are uncommon for someone of my age (I am 39). This scan was around 2.5 years ago I think?

It was the first bit of feedback I had (from a medical view) which really hit home. There are and have been other "minor" externalities from my addiction, but the brain atrophy, that one was a huge tool for me to assist staying off the stuff. I know it is a difficult and devastating bit of news. Sending prayers.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heidi1983 View Post
I haven’t had this but understand how you feel. I have drank far too much wine over the years and have abdominal pain now and nail discolouration. Too scared to go to the doctors but am officially off the alcohol. Still very early days. So scared it’s too late to reverse any of it or stop it carrying on
My personal suggestion is... go to the doctor. I was ok this year for about 2 weeks this year (was previously drinking 12-16 oz hard liquor a day) and have been drinking more since mid-January. I'll be honest about how I feel about this - if it's too late to reverse it, then you'll know. Odds are though it's not too late to reverse it and you'll at least have established a baseline. My bloodwork was worse than it was in 2020, despite improvement in 2021. It just shows me that I had some bad habits over the past year (which I know) but seeing it on paper really resonates. Also - don't be afraid to show / share it with people close to you, or if you don't want to be embarrassed (like I have been), then I've found this forum is a good place to be.

I just found out my GGT was +400, ALT +100. I eat like **** and have drank WAY too much for years. My recent test has motivated again to me to stop again, and I'm pretty certain that yours is likely to motivate you in one way or the other, as well.

Remember than a test won't change your current circumstance, and you owe it to yourself to be aware of what's going on. This is true of anything - health, finance, etc.

Goodluck.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunny84 View Post
Hello everyone really looking for some advice. I’m 38 and have drank a bottle of wine per day for 3 years. I banged my head last Saturday and have been to the hospital today to check out the lump that has formed. I’ve had a ct scan that has shown involutinary changes “shrinkage” that shouldn’t be there for my age. I’m past myself with worry thinking I’m going to end up with dementia/Alzheimer’s 😭 I’ve got two small children and I’m imagining them looking after me. I know I need to cut back/stop drinking and this is the thing that has made it clear. Has anyone else had results like this before I’m going out of my mind with worry ..anxiety is through the roof. X
Hi Sunny, as I just responded to someone else - the doctor is the best friend you can have, other than a wife, spouse, friends, strangers, anyone who will support you in stopping your habit.

FWIW, I started with a bottle of wine a day, but that was 15 years ago (I'm also 38).

my ALT and GGT was normal in 2021 (after months of not drinking)... I was in an accident over the summer and I needed an ultrasound - they found my liver to be enlarged. I didn't listen to my inner voice (in fact I listened to the WRONG inner voice) and I didn't stop drinking. Now, after recent blood work (thanks to my wife that scheduled my follow up) - I've showed 10x normal GGT and 2x ALT. I found it's hard to get over the worry, and easy to drink in response to that worry! I've thought about many things - missing my kids graduations, weddings, birth of grandchildren, etc. The drink is very powerful and it cares not about those things.

Long story short, I've not had CT scans, but I have had other tests that have shown organ degradation that if not improved, will result in my death... it causes a lot of anxiety. But we can both get through it.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The only answer here is to stop drinking. Talk honestly with your doctor, and go forward with the plan to stop for good- drinking will certainly not help. Find out the facts before you worry too much- we often think far worse things than the actual reality.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
The only answer here is to stop drinking....
This is the solution ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^
Old 01-28-2023, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm looking at it this way Sunny.

You're still functioning alright now, looking after the kids and stuff, reading, crosswords, etc., getting yourself a manicure , and able do all of the same old things. I bet you feel no different than you did prior to finding this news.

At 38 we can live with a bit of shrinkage, and if you stop drinking now you'll be able to build on that thinking brain you have via good old neuroplasticity. Halt the shrink. Stop it in its tracks.

It will however hinge on stopping drinking alcohol, entirely. And I know you can and want to do it.

Talk with your doctor about how fearful you feel, and have your fears put to rest.

It's all going to be ok.