Notices

A Hard & Wonderful Weekend

Old 01-23-2023, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Hard & Wonderful Weekend

Just wanted to share my experience from the weekend for some who may relate or find hope, and selfishly for myself as a reminder so that I can look back on this post as this situation will arise again shortly.

I am a musician and I had two gigs this weekend (Friday & Saturday).

Friday was hard! It was my first gig since quitting again. It was a typical bar gig which are the hardest ones not to alcohol partake in. I had a very hard time and found the anxiety and alcohol voice taking over and affecting my performance, mood, focus, everything. It really sucked. The bar had NA Heineken which did help a bit, but all in all it hit hard.

I went home after the gig feeling sad that it had affected me so hard as I'd been doing really well with sobriety thus far (Day 25). I managed to accept and acknowledge the night as it was and found myself being able to let it go. I found myself saying to myself, "well, tomorrow can't get any worse than tonight! Now I know what to expect, let's move on."

Firstly, I would've never been able to think that clearly and positively and moved on like that had I not had these passed few weeks sober. I would've sulked and dwelled on my night and it would've extended into the next day(s). I realized this growth and was so happily amazed.

The next day, I did just that. I went in knowing what to expect, got my NA Heineken and rocked the night. I even found myself enjoying watching people getting hammered and me knowing I wasn't gonna make an ass of myself at any point, I was gonna have a good night sleep and I was gonna have a great Sunday. I played really well and was able to shake the alcoholic voice out of my night.

It was both hard and wonderful. I'm gratefully here on Day 28
Old 01-23-2023, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I love this post, Chancellor. It's a great description of how the early days often go. You are changing, growing, healing.

It took me a few months to feel comfortable in certain situations. I was rather sorry for myself, disoriented & emotional. I grew to love my new life - and was so thankful to be free.
Congrats on your 28th day.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It’s a win win, chancellor. You had a great night, played well and woke bright and fresh the next day 🙂 It’s going to be an eye opener watching other drink their lives away, but I find it a good reminder to not go back there. Thanks for the nice post and well done.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on a sober weekend Chancellor.

Just sharing my experience - I don't drink NA beer when I'm playing because sooner or later someone will want to buy you a drink, or if they notice the 0.0% they want to buy you a 'real beer'.

Drinking soft drinks alleviates that, in my experience.

I'm a non drinker and I don't care who knows it.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post Chancellor. Well done.

Personally, I can't see anything wrong with NA beer, particularly in the early days.

Whatever gets you through the night.

I used it a little bit, but tired of it, and was expensive. Now I don't care if I'm drinking soft drink, water, etc. Proud actually.

And I'm even prouder next morning. ☀️
Old 01-23-2023, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through that, Chancellor.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I must admit to being addicted to AF for about a year after quitting. I even brought a stash on holiday, and that wasn’t a bad idea because my dad died back home and that was quite a trigger. But I also got bored of AF and haven’t bothered with it for well over two years. For me it was the lesser evil, but research shows it can lead to relapsing to the real stuff. I’d be a little wary.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on getting through the weekend Chancellor. It will get easier you're not missing anything by not drinking.

I don't want to echo, but NA wasn't for me. And very early on I remember the trick my brain played out when I opened a ginger ale and poured it into a glass. Of course there was no alcohol and I could literally taste, smell, and got the feeling - I poured it out. I truly believe I had a gustatory and olfactory hallucination and thankfully my last.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's brilliant well done although i can't touch NA booze because that is a trigger for me plus i don't see the point, it does help some people though so each to their own, keep going your doing great
Old 01-24-2023, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;7897574]Congrats on a sober weekend Chancellor.

Just sharing my experience - I don't drink NA beer when I'm playing because sooner or later someone will want to buy you a drink, or if they notice the 0.0% they want to buy you a 'real beer'.

Actually someone in the crowd did buy the band a round of drinks! When I saw him coming to me with a drink I immediately said "ah thanks but I don't drink" and he said, I know, good on ya" as he handed me another NA Heineken. He said he had checked with the bartender for each of us and what drinks to get us.

It was a great moment I felt.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have a thoughtful fan.

D
Old 01-24-2023, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you, Chancellor, getting through that first night to succeed so well the second! You’re growing stronger in sobriety, that’s fantastic.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations Chancellor, not easy but you got through it and bet it felt amazing after.
I did have the odd non alcoholic gin/beer in the early stages and found it helpful but obviously many find it a trigger. Now I don't really bother as just prefer Diet Coke and comfortable not drinking on special occasions but just do whatever helps you get through.