Notices

counting anniversaries

Old 01-22-2023, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

counting anniversaries

hello everyone,

I haven’t stopped by here in. while, but realised that the other day was my four year anniversary and I remembered the times I was counting milestones in hours, then days, months and eventually years. Those weeks before the year anniversary always seemed to crawl by too. So imagine my surprise when I realised I had passed my four year anniversary over a week ago and then my greater surprise (maths not my strong suit) that it has actually been 5 years!

Hang in there people new to this place, the forums here were my absolute lifeline and even as I visited less often, I always ran right back here when temptation to drink felt strong and people always helped me through the cravings. I hadn’t felt like a drink for such a long time and was recently alone in a hotel with a well stocked mini bar and suddenly the long dormant alcoholic voice (AV) started its siren call. I logged on here and read my posts from 2018 and the wonderful support I received and that shut it down. I know I can never let my guard down, I KNOW I would have started with ‘just one’ and likely would have drunk that minibar dry.

In January 2018 I could not have imagined 5 years sober, in fact the thought of it would have both intimidated and saddened me, I was not ready to say ‘never again’, I still saw not drinking as a loss, as denying myself something I craved. I took the advice to decide ‘I will not drink today’ each day as I came to the realisation that alcohol is a deadly poison and I can choose not to drink it.

I used to care that people would care that I don’t drink, turns out they don’t. Sure a few people were initially surprised and a few suggested come on, just one won’t hurt’, but I was a private drunk, I always drank in moderation socially then swung by the liquor store on my way home and carried on, it’s why that mini bar caught my attention, old private drinking habits die hard. Nobody suggests I drink now and no new people I meet ever seem to care, it is also becoming much more commonplace for people not to drink than it was even 5 years ago.

Stay close to the folk here, the honesty, trust, lack of judgement and unwavering support is something I give thanks for every day. I promise counting the hours and days won’t last forever and if there are some false starts along the way and the counter gets reset, well my friends, we have all been there too.

You’ve got this, even on the days AV is sounding so strong, it wants nothing good for you, the people here on the other hand do and they are walking the path right alongside you.

Old 01-22-2023, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations that is awesome
Old 01-22-2023, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Scotty,
. Thanks for a great post and congrats on 5 years.
Its funny, about 15 minutes before I read your post I was thinking about how SR has become an "absolute lifeline" for me and you used the same term!
Unfortunately I've learned the hard way about those unexpected visits from the AV after some long periods of sobriety.
Fortunately SR has helped to make me plan for those eventualities.
. Your success in working thru it gives me hope.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice post, Scotty 🙂 And you’re right about no one else worrying that we don’t drink. The only reaction I’ve had apart from indifference is envy.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It’s always good to hear from you Scotty
Congratulations on 5 years!

D
Old 01-22-2023, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, huge congrats on that four five years.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Such a great, uplifting post Scotty! Thanks for checking in and congratulations on a another milestone.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Your experience mirrors mine. The joy of never having another drink was a delightful surprise that I didn't see coming before I resolved to never drink again.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Scotty, wonderful post, movingly written. Thank you for your inspiration and kind words.

Congrats on Five years 🎉🎊🪄♥️🤓
Old 01-22-2023, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 years Scotty
Old 01-22-2023, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!

Old 01-22-2023, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post, Scotty! Thank you so much and congratulations on your 5 years!
Old 01-22-2023, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love posts like this so much , thank you for this
Old 01-22-2023, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exactly what I needed to read this morning!
Old 01-22-2023, 10:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scottynz View Post
Sure a few people were initially surprised and a few suggested come on, just one won’t hurt’, but I was a private drunk, I always drank in moderation socially then swung by the liquor store on my way home and carried on.

Happy Anniversary Scotty!

Great post. I can totally relate to that. I was also a private drunk and I did exactly the same thing. I remember going to parties, having one or two at the very most then cutting out early so I could drink to my heart content in private. When I quit, no one batted an eye when I would say no thanks or I'll have a diet coke because they had no idea of the extent of my problem (and also because everyone who knows me knows that I am always on one weird health kick or another).

it is also becoming much more commonplace for people not to drink than it was even 5 years ago.

I have noticed the same thing. Maybe it is also because we are getting older and so is our circle but even friends who liked to have a few glasses with dinner or go out once in a while to get a little buzz are basically abstinent these days.

Old 01-22-2023, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

5 years - how fabulous, Scotty. It's lovely to read your uplifting post.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's a lovely post Scotty and well done on 5 years
Old 01-22-2023, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 years sober 🙏
Old 01-22-2023, 11:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 01-22-2023, 12:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A wonderful post Scotty. Could be the post that has someone turn the glass upside down, and start to really live. Thank you.

And...

Congratulations on 5 years.