Notices

One of those pounding days

Old 01-01-2023, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One of those pounding days

Hello Everyone,

Day 6 here and proud of that. I have a party to go to today, which I'm not worried about drinking at as I've taken the option off the table, but I know that if the option was there it would be a bad drinking day. Does anyone else know that feeling of certain days where it's almost pulsing through you to just pound. The beast is roaring. This wasn't every day or every time I drank but usually once or twice a month I have certain days where I can feel it so strong and just want to pound booze. The great thing is that I'm aware it's one of those days and the stress of being an absolute loser is gone by removing the option entirely. Staying strong and staying aware.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Days when I really wanted to drink were tough to get through.
Are you doing this party as a kind of recovery test?

I made it easy on myself and missed out parties for a while?

D
Old 01-01-2023, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What is the healthiest decision you can make for yourself and your sobriety when you have the urge to drink copious amounts of alcohol?

If I were craving alcohol and I wanted to remain sober, the one thing I would not be doing is going to a party where alcohol was involved. Going to this party would be detrimental to my number one goal of sobriety. Why put myself in harms way?
Old 01-01-2023, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it's good when the option has been removed. It works.
Old 01-01-2023, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’d give parties a miss too for now.

I observed drunk people in action over Xmas talking nonsense and topping up people’s drinks despite protests (from someone who was driving!) They just lose all sense of responsibility. It’s way too early to be around such people, chancellor. Give it a few months at least. Six days is great, but you have to admit it’s very early in recovery.
Old 01-01-2023, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Giving a pass to the party sounds like the thing to do, Chancellor - just not worth the risk. There will be many parties in your future, my friend,; day 6 is just sooooo early in your sobriety.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, this party with a birthday party with people who are family (just not blood related). They’re very supportive and I felt safe. I also managed to fight the urge though the beast was roaring. I do agree that if it was a regular party and I had been feeling as I was I probably would’ve passed on attending.

The night was wonderful and it’s amazing to observe people who can enjoy one glass of wine where I know if I had had a sip it’d would’ve been the bottle. I feel proud for staying strong and aware and I’m looking forward to welcoming Day 7 tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the support ❤️
Old 01-02-2023, 12:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done, chancellor. If you know the crowd and more importantly have let it be known that you’ve quit drinking, that’s a safer environment.

As I said above, I saw some disappointing goings on over Xmas with people losing all sense after a few drinks. The most memorable was a guy topping up my partner’s drink with a massive slug of some strong spirit even though she was driving. On that occasion, I was able to drive instead, but the guy didn’t know me or if I could even drive. It was quite irresponsible behaviour and goes to show how drink affects people.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Well done, chancellor. If you know the crowd and more importantly have let it be known that you’ve quit drinking, that’s a safer environment.

As I said above, I saw some disappointing goings on over Xmas with people losing all sense after a few drinks. The most memorable was a guy topping up my partner’s drink with a massive slug of some strong spirit even though she was driving. On that occasion, I was able to drive instead, but the guy didn’t know me or if I could even drive. It was quite irresponsible behaviour and goes to show how drink affects people.
Absolutely Hodd. Alcohol really takes away our common sense and I'm so glad you and your partner were safe with you being there sober. Much love to you and continued strength into 2023.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done, Chancellor.